nanook

Is it only a california thing. . .?

. . .or did I miss another truck fad?
Long story short, I went to the used car sales event at Qualcomm stadium and test drove a F-250 7.whatever litre diesel with monster tires, bling-bling shocks, skidpads and westcoast chopper sticker. At the tail end of the test drive, I pulled into the home depot and stopped the truck to hear it change into 4X4 when after a few seconds of searching realised that there was no switch or stick shifter. "This is a four-wheel-drive, right?" I asked. You guessed it. Nope. previous owner forgot to add the transfer case and front diffrential on the beautification project. Is lifting 4X2's a new thing?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Buy the god damn truck. Then make sure you stuck its fat ass in the fast lane on the freeway at a whooping 70 mph. Californians love to do that!>:(
Californian drivers are "Darwininans"...>:(

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Nah. . .Not a californian by birth. Where i'm from, we don't push those things past 60. that's outright dangerous.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Where i'm from, we don't push those things past 60. that's outright dangerous.

Wasn't meant to you!:)But I'm tired of seeing vans, trucks and SUVs cruising in the fast lane, driver on the cell phone, while the other 3 (or 4) lanes are actually moving faster...>:(
Sorry, my rant...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

But I'm tired of seeing vans, trucks and SUVs cruising in the fast lane,

Depends on if you are going faster than all the people way down there in thier little crush-mobiles...

and yes MINE is a DIESEL 4x4>:(

{singing voice} Have you driven over a FOOOOOOOORD.......................Lately{/singing voice}

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But I'm tired of seeing vans, trucks and SUVs cruising in the fast lane, driver on the cell phone, while the other 3 (or 4) lanes are actually moving faster...>:(
Sorry, my rant...

Im with ya on that... If your that important that you have to be on your cell while driving at least buy a hands free set...

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

MINE is a DIESEL 4x4

Well, living in the Pacific Northwest, that kinda make sense. But SoCal???:S
I am going faster than some, but I am IN THE RIGHT LANE!:o
The fast lane is bumper to bumper, filled with fake 4X4 clugging up cell phone signals!:|

Wasn't meant to you!

Yeah, I know. I test drove the truck out of nostalgia. Back in high school a lot of us had these type of trucks(maybe not so brand new) and did a lot of parties miles out in the desert. there would be like 10 to 15 trucks, broncos ect. girlfrends, pals, a keg or a lot of cases of beers and some sacrificial tires. I never fathomed a raised truck not being 4X4. the car dealer, nonetheless, witnessed a schitzophrenic reaction on my part.

Alot of times when someone lifts a truck "way" high they purposely leave out the 4X4 part. Something about the front drive shaft being to short for the angle of the differential. You would eat up the U joints real fast.

What could possibly go wrong?

If it's done right it shouldn't be an issue, but raising a truck the right way entails alot more tha just adding springs and spacers - I'm sure AggieDave can go into further detail. I've only worked on a few lift jobs. But we do see alot of lift jobs done half-way or incorrectly and yes, u-joints go south quickly, and are often followed by axle and transfer case components.

What drives me nuts are the yuppies who buy these big-ass trucks and they never carry anything heavier that a Starbucks coffee cup. We get that crap alot around the Chicago area. So no, it's not just a Cali thing, it seems to be a Yuppie thing. Some people will buy whatever the media tells them to.

(edited because I can't spell for shit-)

Easy Does It

Many stock axles can't take the added gaff that oversize tires dish out especially once you start taking them off-road in a serious manner. Alot of us who did some semi-serious off-road work had two sets of tires, one for normal grocery-getting and the second set for going up in the woods.

When you they these folks didn't put the 4x4 back in after the lift, you mean they left the front driveshaft out? Or did they pull the transfer case and go through all that trouble to make a 4x2 out of a 4x4?

What I'm driving now is a Tacoma Prerunner. It's got extra ground clearance for the little bit that I do go off the beaten path and a locking rear diff. I don't do the 4-wheeling I used to, but I do carry some heavy machine parts and stuff.

Easy Does It

I out different gears in the dif's to handle the bigger tires so I coundlt put smaller ones back on without the engine reving to high. It was a show truck untill the mud urge hit and it was all downhill from there;)

Yes I have seen people not put the front end back together with the lifts.

What could possibly go wrong?

Then make sure you stuck its fat ass in the fast lane on the freeway at a whooping 70 mph.

What cha' talking about. In CA you can drive 70 (up to about 95) in whichever damn lane you choose. There is NO fast lane....they're ALL fast lanes and the slow pokes better watch out![:/]
Oh yes, and don't forget, you must weave in and out of traffic as much as possible (and at the highest speed possible) especially during rush hour >:(:S.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

What cha' talking about. In CA you can drive 70 (up to about 95) in whichever damn lane you choose. There is NO fast lane....they're ALL fast lanes and the slow pokes better watch out!

I agree with you, they have the right to do so. I am simply upset at times with people driving slow in the left lane (half of them not even aware what is being or around them). As a courteousy, I leave the left lane if a faster vehicle comes behind me. I would expect it to be an international rule.
But then again, when I really want to step on it, there's always the right lane.>:(

Was it lifted "evenly" or was the front end higher than the back end ("prerunner" style)?

My kid, who is into this kinda stuff, says that 2 wheel drive is preferred for prerunner style trucks used (or built to look like they are used) in desert racing. From my travels over the past year or so I can tell you prerunner is pretty much a southern California only thing.

He says if it was lifted evenly, whoever had it done is just a dumbshit. :D

Yup, lifted evenly. your son's right. the previous owner was a dumbshit('cuz see, a west coast chopper sticker raises the value of any vehicle by about $1000:P)

the dealer actually tried to sell me that "pre-runner" concept in this truck. I couldn't convince the dealer that, with all the @#$%#$% weight that the tires added on plus all those gas shocks and red and yellow and chrome add-on chassis parts on an already 6000+ pound truck, a front diff axle second shaft and transfer case ain't going to make the truck considerably more cumbersome than it already is. I just can't see an eight foot tall 4 ton truck jumping whoop-dee-dos and hangin with the bad boys.:S

Your truck's okay. I'm pretty sure your brand new truck in it's factory originality can lay ruin to the obvious "pre-runner" poser trucks here.