pchapman

Skyhook RSL snag on door handle, at pin cover flap

Same thing would have happend witha regualer RSL!

BTW The skyhook didnt cause this! Lack of attention from pilot/dzo/jumper and anybody else that has a lic. and jumped from the plane before this hapened!

BTW2 the same could have happened w/o an rsl. That handle could have just pulled the researve cable and done the same!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

i use to want a skyhook, but after thinking about this video, ill pass... i want 2 seperate systems, but i will keep my rsl... i just dont want the collins laynard.... tony

What is wrong with a collins lanyard? This incident could have happened with no skyhook or RSL. I dont care what you choose but at least be informed on why your makeing the decision.

i use to want a skyhook, but after thinking about this video, ill pass... i want 2 seperate systems, but i will keep my rsl... i just dont want the collins laynard.... tony

What is wrong with a collins lanyard? This incident could have happened with no skyhook or RSL. I dont care what you choose but at least be informed on why your makeing the decision.

But the Collins Lanyard introduces the possibility that it could have released the left side main riser had the snag been able to yank on that lanyard hard enough. Maybe that possibility is pretty small, but it does exist.

The recent modification to the Skyhook's RSL where the Collins Lanyard loop is on a separate leg of the RSL reduces this scary possibility somewhat. But I can still imagine a snag that could make that dreadful possibility a reality.

All the safety systems have their pros and cons.

>What is wrong with a collins lanyard?

A collins lanyard cuts away one side of the main parachute. If your reserve is damaged, and you have to deploy your main in an attempt to get a landable canopy over your head, having one side cut away would likely be fatal.

I think people are getting confused here with the Skyhook and RSL.maybe people dont understand the difference or how it is supposed to work.
from what i saw on the video,it was the RSL that was snagged,not the red skyhook lanyard.most of that red lanyard is stowed under the reserve flaps! or that is where it should be stowed! there should be less than 1 inch sticking out under the reserve flap. but i think where this issue was caused was that the RSL itself was not stowed correctly.the RSL should not be exposed anywhere near the yolk,it should be stowed under the reserve flap or riser cover!
we have over 30 vector rigs here with skyhook and everytime i pack a reserve or do a gear check i make sure that no RSL is exposed around the back.
as for the skyhook it is connected to the end of the RSL and attached to the middle of your reserve bridle,and should not cause a problem what so ever!

i am just relieved that this was not another fatal incident andfrom this video,this guy was indeed very lucky,it sure is one hell of a video and story,but i feel it should have been prevented by paying attention to detail and more careful on the climbout.
so hopefully we never have to see anything like that again!!! my heart certainly stoped for a sec on seeing this video;):P:P:P:P
blue skies

rodger

Given the fact of what we've seen, who's ready to get rid of RSL's and SkyHook's ? Anyone ? Wow....i'm conflicted right now,,,,time for a bottle of wine.........[:/]

I don't think we should be thinking about getting rid of Skyhooks, OR RSLs.

I DO think the lesson learned here is to know what you are jumping, and truly understand how that system (whatever it may be) works.

ALSO, I think another lesson learned here is to think long and hard about what system you choose when you are buying (don't even get me started about borrowing) new gear. Consider your skill level, consider the type of flying you do, consider the inherent risks that come with the added safeties of each system, and make the choice that will best help you sleep at night.

Elvisio "what I figgur" Rodriguez

Same thing would have happend witha regualer RSL!

Yes but with regular RSL you don't get the same risk of a main that is cut away, and the attachment point is higher up away from the pin.

I do not get how this incident is being turned into "why a skyhook is bad" thread when what we need to learn from it is 1. gear check 2. watch for snag hazards and 3. always be looking out for your fellow jumpers by giving them a once over in the plane. If you saw a video that showed a cut away handle getting snagged whould you want to go to an SOS system? An RSL has the same snag potential if not secured and tucked properly. Could a scenerio happen that the skyhook worked against you? Yes but so can going low and not getting to silver after a chop in time.... just saying.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Today we were riding in the Caravan to altitude and when moving toward the door, one tandem student freaked out and stood up, thrusting the TI into the ceiling as they moved to the door. There is an air vent in the ceiling, with a 1" long shaft which an on/off air flow knob used to cover. That 1" shaft pointing straight down was enough to catch the skyhook RSL and pull the pin. Out fell the reserve PC into the floor. Thankfully the TI immediately pulled the door shut and the plane landed without incident.

It would be a great idea for UPT to cover this known hazard on their rigs. The Sigma is a great system, but as someone said to me earlier today, it does have this Achilles heel.

Chris

It would have done the same thing if it got a hold of a reserve cable (on any rig), no?

Almost all modern rigs have their reserve cables covered protected so they won't get snagged. This is why they run through hard cable housings, and why that cable housing ends beneath a flap to cover the cable. The only place that most reserve cables are exposed is where the reserve handle is stowed on front of the rig (as long as reserve pin cover flap stays in place).

Try hard enough and you can find a snag point on ANY rig.

For example, back in 1990, I was doing poised exits out of Cessnas with tandem students. One student was big and stiff and scared and tried to stand up on the step. He jammed our reserve container up against the under-side of the wing, bending a reserve ripcord pin!

I quit doing poised exits as soon as I learned a simpler/safer exit in 1994. Since then I have only exited Cessnas from sitting with my back against the instrument panel, swinging left leg out, then diving towards the tail.

Of course you can. However if they'd try just a little bit, the manufacturer could close off the current snag point in question. It's evolution. Should the manuf wait til someone does kick the bucket because of this exposed RSL lanyard?

Of course you can. However if they'd try just a little bit, the manufacturer could close off the current snag point in question. It's evolution. Should the manuf wait til someone does kick the bucket because of this exposed RSL lanyard?

I dont know about anybody else's ,but my skyhook is not exposed at all on the back. Can you post a pic or a better description of the exposed part?

I dont know about anybody else's ,but my skyhook is not exposed at all on the back. Can you post a pic or a better description of the exposed part?

It tends to get exposed much more easily on Sigma's than on single person V3's. But a photo would explain it better.

Sure, after I repack the one we're discussing, I'll post some photos (either tonight or tomorrow).

Chris

It is not exposed on mine either but I'm sure the Sigma may be different.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Here are some pics of my V3, DOM 11/09. From the right angle you can see some of the deployment system, however there is nothing that is 'openly' exposed when the flap is closed. You would have to literally be unlucky enough to get it fished out by a hook shaped snag hazard (much like in the video).

Sorry, about some of the quality of the pics I was a bit shaky with my camera phone.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----