oliverw

Question on Helmets: Mamba vs Gas

for me it depended on my head shape. I tried on EVERY FULL FACE helmet on the market. The GAS and Ozone fit like gloves on my head so I bought the ozone on the sspot. The Gas was the same and I will buy it soon. Try them all on if you can. AND the d30 is f'n awesome

Very easily, but it will not come open in freefall.

I've seen a Mamba come open. We hadn't even exited the plane and our outside centre's visor kept flipping up repeatedly from the wind. He's since done something to fix it, but the point is that a Mamba visor can come open on exit and/or during freefall. That said, I've only seen this on the one jump and my two other team mates have Mamba's as well and as far as I know, neither of them have had visor problems, so it's probably not a common problem.

i had the same dilemma, i didnt know if i should go for a flip up visor or not, i live in FL, it gets HOTT here.

I ended up going with the cookie gas, i absolutly love the helmet and am glad i made the choice i did. no problems with it fogging up or condensate even after it rains.

On a side note there are a couple issues ive had with my helmet:

for one i thought the whole lining was going to be d30, boy was i wrong, only about a four inch circle in the crown of the helmet!

Just this last weekend i put the 16th jump on it, when i transitioned from sit to belly the visor ripped right off the helmet, i checked the screws on the visor 5 jumps previously and they were tight, i was afraid to tighten them any more because i didnt want to end up cracking the visor or stripping the screws.

If you end up going with the gas make sure you locktite the screws down tight. i think when my new visor shows up im going to run a tiny bead of silicone around the opening where the visor sits, just to be sure this dosent happen again.

I kinda thought the visor would last longer than 3 wks on the helmet.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

just a quick update:

i talked with jeremy from cookie composites this week and told him about what happened with my helmet.
He said they have redesigned the visor for the helmet, now instead of having 2 tabs that are pinched by the screw in the side they have done away with the tabs and drilled a hole where the screw goes, so no more losing visors!!! yay!

He also sent me a brand new updated version absolutly free!!!
yeah now that is customer service if ive ever seen it!!!
man i wish every company stood behind their products like this.

GOOD JOB COOKIE COMPOSITES! i will definatly do more business with them, and reccomend anyone out there to do the same! thanks again
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121