oliverw

Question on Helmets: Mamba vs Gas

Dear fellow jumpers,

i recently started this sport and since I am not totally broke yet and have a loaded jump account I was going to invest in a helmet.

So I am looking for a helmet right now and have decided on a full facial helmet. The last selection is between two and, since you guys have way more experience in this, I would like to ask for your opinion.

It's the Bonehead Mamba and the Cookie Gas, as far as I understand both are made out of carbon fiber which is the most stable material at acceptable weight.

Main focus of the helmet should be protection in case of rough / tree landings. Also these helmets are nothing close to motorcycle helmets in terms of protection (weight limitations, mobility issues etc.), right?

Links:

http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_42&products_id=287

http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_33&products_id=578

Thank you for your input and opinions.

/oliver

P.S. I have found several entries in the board for the Mamba but none for the Gas hence the new post.

I have a Gas. Its AWESOME. The lens however does not flip up as per the Mamba. If thats important to you the gas is not YOUR answer.

Don't Make ANY mistakes about it skydiving helmets are far less cumbersome than DOT approved head protection(read motorcycle helmet) HOWEVER they don't provide nearly the same level of protection.

I've jumped a friend's Gas several times, it doesn't fog but it does get condensation on the inside of the lens to the point that I needed to put the helmet on the top of my head when under canopy. I believe I'm an isolated example of this but you may want to see if you can jump one before you get it. The Mamba won't have this problem as you can flip it up.

The mamba is easy to lift up the visor even with thick winter gloves on. The shell is very strong and will hold for a decent blow.

But the GAS helmet will provide you with more protection against impact even if the shell breaks.

I just had an ROK from coockie that gut busted up after a hard landing. After looking on the damages on it and the fact that I got a concussion and blacked out for several minute, i decieded to order the Ozone from cookie due to the D3O material alone.

If you want more protection, get a skihelmet with the CE markings on it. But they will aleays be open face and you might need to tape over potential snagponints. =/ But they'll keep you safer =)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I have demoed a GAS and own an Ozone. I loved the GAS and did not have any troubles with it fogging up. With respect to safety no skydiving helmet is really going to give you 100% protection if you just have an insanely hard landing. However, the D3O material in the GAS is supposed to be more impact absorbing than the standard skydiving helmet, including the Mamba.

Personally I like non-flip visors as I believe they give you a larger field of view. In addition, I have seen people's visors come up in freefall and depending on what you are doing this may pose issues. Especially if you want to do serious FS and are looking to bang out points!

This is just two cents from a noob.
Is it bad when I am consistently dreaming about skydiving?

You could just take off the visor and use normal goggles while still having a good head + teeth protection.. Who needs the visor anyway, it's awesome to feel the wind in your face :P

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Also if someone could link some more detailed pictures of the Gas helmet or post some I would be very grateful. I have been unable to find high rezz ones and I am getting tired of going through google pages full of cookie pictures :).

Thanks a bunch.

You could just take off the visor and use normal goggles while still having a good head + teeth protection.. Who needs the visor anyway, it's awesome to feel the wind in your face :P

Yea I was thinking about something like that as well, can the visor be attached in the plane on the way up while wearing the helmet or is the locking mechanism too complicated?

Thanks

I own both, and like both. The GAS wins hands-down, though. It's more comfortable, more secure, has slightly better visibility and so far the liner is much more durable.

I damaged my GAS recently (broke the visor) and was using the Mamba for a while until I could grab a new lens - but then started wearing the GAS again with goggles underneath it, because I liked it more.

As someone upthread said though, if a flip-up visor matters to you, get the Mamba.

On the gripping hand: try both, everyone's head is a different shape and so are all the helmets - it would be an expensive mistake, to say the least.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I damaged my GAS recently (broke the visor) and was using the Mamba for a while until I could grab a new lens - but then started wearing the GAS again with goggles underneath it, because I liked it more.

Who needs a visor anyway? You look way more cooler without one, but with goggles + you get to feel the wind on your face B|

You must not do much 4 way RW - a visor can mean the difference between a broken nose or simply a cracked visor.

Mhm, you actually got a point there, I was thinking more in terms of FF :)

I talked at length with Cookie at Summerfest. He is very cool and believes that everyone should use the equipment they feel best suits them.

Having said that, his helmet is one of, if not the best constructed helmets on the market.

I love the way the chin strap also works as the tightner for the neck collar and that you can preset the tension and once you get it where you like it, it stays that way. And after that you just pull the strap and hook it and it's always set with the same tension. No more adjusting.

He is also increasing the thickness of the visor from 1 mil to 1.5 mil for those knee strikes in 4 and 8 way. And it has the best peripheral vision out there.

And the d30 shock absorption system is amazing.
Google d30 and you will be impressed. He didn't invent it, he just incorporated it into his helmet.

Carbon fiber!

Finally a helmet that might actually save someone's brain.

And next year a flip up version.

I know I sound like an add but I'm just impressed with this helmet and him personally.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I talked at length with Cookie at Summerfest. He is very cool and believes that everyone should use the equipment they feel best suits them.

And the d30 shock absorption system is amazing.
Google d30 and you will be impressed. He didn't invent it, he just incorporated it into his helmet.

I know I sound like an add but I'm just impressed with this helmet and him personally.

Me too. I hung out with him and Greg from UPT for a while. VERY cool dude and seemed to be more interested in customer satisfaction than anything else.
I got to play with the d30 material too. That stuff is unreal!
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I think he meant that you can not flip open the lens at all as in it is not designed like that.

?? That's not true, I open mine under canopy all the time. Very easily, but it will not come open in freefall.

He was talking about the Gas, the Mamba does have a flip up visor.

About the 3do, the basic mechanism can be reproduced with backing powder (translated from German not sure if it's the exact term) and a little water. You'll have a liquid substance that hardens under rapid pressure and will reliquify once the pressure is removed. Fun to play around with if you are interested in chemistry or if you want to impress your kids. The 3do is something similar but more advanced I guess, the you tube vids are nice to watch of it.

Take care folks.