BillyVance

Judge curbs 167-mph motorcyclist, 90 days in jail

Update on the motorcyclist who was ticketed for going 167 mph on I-459 south of Birmingham, AL this past August 14. Judge slammed the book on William Essex. 90 days in jail, maximum punishment. Whoa! The other motorcyclist with him at the time and cited for 165 mph, James Turner, will be in court on Jan. 24.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

He did the crime, now he's gotta do the time!!

I got clocked at 92 in a 55 when I was a kid. I was damn lucky I wasn't arrested on the spot. The New York State trooper had chased me for 10 miles (so he said-) Needless to say, he was pissed. I deserved what I got - a $110.00 ticket, six months "probation" (any traffic violation would have suspended my license and possibly landed me in jail for a month) but what hurt most was paying $1200 a year for insurance on a car that wasn't worth $600.

I can only imagine what this guy's insurance bill is gonna be, once he gets his license back!

Easy Does It

I can only imagine what this guy's insurance bill is gonna be, once he gets his license back!

IF he can find an insurance company willing to insure him. This guy is from one of those "bad" neighborhoods and I'm betting he's going to go without insurance if he doesn't straighten up.

He has quite a (major points only) MVR:
Speeding in a construction zone - 8/31/02
Speeding, convicted and fined $119 - 5/2/01
Speeding over 25mph, fined $113 - 12/28/95
Aggravated speeding, fined $112 - 12/15/92
Reckless driving - 7/9/90

What the hell, I have 3 times as many speeding tickets as this guy in the same time frame, but none of them major...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Update on the motorcyclist who was ticketed for going 167 mph on I-459 south of Birmingham, AL this past August 14. Judge slammed the book on William Essex. 90 days in jail, maximum punishment. Whoa! The other motorcyclist with him at the time and cited for 165 mph, James Turner, will be in court on Jan. 24.

Blue Skies
Billy

I still can't work out why he stopped for them. I mean, unless you're on a freeway with no exits in sight, stopping on a motorcycle is purely optional.

Agreed... He and his buddy were racing after midnight with little or no traffic. All they had to do was milk those babies for all they're worth and be gone...

None of your tickets were within 12 months of each other, either.

I started racking up a few moving violations here a few years ago and got a nice letter from the DMV letting me know if I continued I'd be losing my privileges. I got wise real quick!

Easy Does It

Was this the guy that was spotted via airplane? I'm sure if he kept going they'd keep up with him and track him down eventually.

That would have landed him in a WORLD of shit.

Nope, that guy tracked by airplane was up in Minnesota, I think. He was going 182 mph or thereabouts.

Don't know - I know they like using aircraft in Ohio and several other states.

I liked one speed trap I saw in NY near Syracuse - I-81 if I remember right- The state troopers had an old van in the median with the hood propped open - near an overpass at an interchange. Officer Friendly was inside with a handheld radar gun and radio. The interceptors where lined up on the on-ramps in both directions. I heard it was a busy day for 'em that day.

Easy Does It