Balls

Got "bent over" at school

So over the last 3 quarters of college I've paid over $650 for books.
I went to the book buy back today after my last final and got $181.75 back. They were all used books except for one so they are going to turn around and sell them for $600 again.
Bastards!>:(

*edited due to popular demand
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

First year at school, huh?

Books suck. Something I learned was you can gamble and wait until class starts to get books. Then you'll be able to tell if you need to actually buy the books or not...then again if you need them, good luck finding used books.

Buy books online, you can save a lot of money.

Sell back directly to students, you'll make more money back.

Join the military, they'll pay for it all.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That sucks. [:/] Sorry. But honestly, you should think about how you word your titles. That freaked me out. :|

I figured lots of people would read it that way:P
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

So over the last 3 quarters of college I've paid over $650 for books.
I went to the book buy back today after my last final and got $181.75 back. They were all used books except for one so they are going to turn around and sell them for $600 again.
Bastards!>:(

Tell me about it!! I sold a 140$ physics book for 25$. Yes, I know that was stupid, but I had carried it in there on crutches and just didn't want to walk back out with it since I had to buy ANOTHER physics book anyhow. Just too much shit.

They do suck, this semester if they are unreasonable I will try to sell them online or something.

Which reminds me, I should go to the school to see what books I need for next semester so I can try to shop online, too.

-A

Ever wonder why the book publishing houses come out with 'new/revised' editions every few years. You have the third edition this semester and next year they put out the 4th edition. Your third edition is basically worth squat now. I remember some Profs at my Uni refused to get new editions just to keep the cost down for us.

That sucks. [:/] Sorry. But honestly, you should think about how you word your titles. That freaked me out. :|
------------------------------------------------------------
I figured lots of people would read it that way:P

And you think thats funny? Yeah, rape is a laughing matter.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Ever wonder why the book publishing houses come out with 'new/revised' editions every few years. You have the third edition this semester and next year they put out the 4th edition. Your third edition is basically worth squat now. I remember some Profs at my Uni refused to get new editions just to keep the cost down for us.

That's bad ju-ju for the school. One of the major things school's get ranked on is the currency of thier cirriculum. Having too large of a percentage of old editions can result in a serious knock to a school's rating.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

heh

This is why I loooove my school.

We have a text rental program. We have to buy our 'disposables', such as lab manuals, but the university owns the rest, and they are already figured into our tuition. We pick up our texts just before classes begin, and they are due back the last day of finals. :)
FYI, the info is here.http://www.uwsp.edu/centers/textrental/ Maybe with this link, some people might work with student government to get this started in their schools. We are pushing legislation through our SGA that will essentially prohibit professors from requiring books that use tear-outs, as well as no longer allowing a professor to require the purchase of a text he or she has a financial stake in.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Yeah - some dude at GA TECH was doing that back in '90. He got all pissed off and set up some BBS or something...I was on scholarship and had mine paid for but still thought it was pretty cool...he dented the book store pretty f-ing hard if memory serves.

B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I don't know your major, but in my field people don't tend to sell their books. Ever.

At my alma mater the most basic Math course was Calculus (Differential Equations was a Freshman course), and there were no watered-down Physics or Chemistry courses, either.

My texts on Radiation Heat Transfer, Catalysis, Gas Dynamics and so forth are still great references.

The only college texts I no longer have are those that people took and never returned. I happily pay retail to replace them when I come across them, since they don't tend to show up used.

Blue skies,

Winsor