canadianjumper

Which risers/velcro-less toggles would you buy??

What should I be doing with my snap toggles other than make sure there is no corn/grass/dirt hanging out before I stow my brakes? I've never had a problem with them, so far. I have had a lower control line break at the cats eye but the toggle stayed put.

If I'm missing something please let me know.

I do miss being able to put my toggles back on velcro when I am feeling lazy on those high clear and pulls.:)

I'd buy risers and toggles with velcro. They're more secure, they provide a place to put the toggles if I don't want to hang on to them (up high, of course), they provide for secure stowage of the excess line and they're easier to unstow when it's time.

And the velcro destroyng your lines?

It doesn't happen when you're not stupid enough to drag your gear back to the hanger without stowing the brakes.

i don't think they would be more secure than the tru lock system,

One poster had two tru-lock failures in 200 jumps, which maintained velcro doesn't do.

It doesn't happen when you're not stupid enough to drag your gear back to the hanger without stowing the brakes.

When you fly your canopy, if you hold your toggles in front of you, you will potentially be rubbing your lower brake lines against the hooks of the velcro that are attached in the rear riser. Not unlike the method you are using in your avitar!

One poster had two tru-lock failures in 200 jumps, which maintained velcro doesn't do.

I have over 3000, jumps with the system and never once had a brake fire, maybe the guy that had 2 fires had damaged toggles or something, seems unusual to me.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Those two are with my new Tru-Lock risers...

That seems really bizzare, are you stowing them as the manufacturer reccomends?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

the pin needs to be a little tough to insert. if it is not, then that could be th root cause. I have seen true loks that needed to be fixed.

also it is possible to put the pin in the wrong orifice :o.

Yes, I stow them as described in the pdf I linked to earlier in this thread.

With break fires I mean that the toggle has come lose from the eye in the line, not completely loose. The bottom pin has still retained a part of the line so the spinning has not been that bad.

Yes, I stow them as described in the pdf I linked to earlier in this thread.

With break fires I mean that the toggle has come lose from the eye in the line, not completely loose. The bottom pin has still retained a part of the line so the spinning has not been that bad.

Which is exactly the point of the tru-lock system. I have 2000+ jumps on tru-lock toggles and the worst that I have experienced is a "top of toggle" release. The majority of the brake line remained stowed with the pin at the bottom and it kept the resulting spinning from being out of hand and causing a malfunction.

I have conversly had a brake fire on a non-trulock system which resulting in a much more violent spin (and this was a much more docile canopy) than with the tru-lock protection. It didn't result in a malfunction either cause, step one of "spinning but no line twists" for me is checking the brakes!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I have conversly had a brake fire on a non-trulock system which resulting in a much more violent spin (and this was a much more docile canopy) than with the tru-lock protection. It didn't result in a malfunction either cause, step one of "spinning but no line twists" for me is checking the brakes!

Me too, except I got linetwists as well and had to chop it. That's when I bought my TruLok risers.

I recently got a pair of tru-lock risers. I like them very much but don't really have enough jumps on them to make a meaningful determination of the security of the toggles during opening.

The one thing that I was told to watch out for is that there is a risk of missing the channel with the pin and making your own channel, especially when new. I could certainly see how this could happen.