Braz933

Pulse

I jumped it once at the Summerfest (skydive Chicago) in 2009. It is a flat glide canopy with very light toggles pressure. I found it quite fun to fly. I am a big guy and the Pulse I jumped was a 170, no problem to do a stand up landing but (because of its hybrid design I guess) the flare wasn't as powerful as my Katana 170.
For a light or average weight person who wants docile and conventional landing, this is a good parachute.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I am a big guy and the Pulse I jumped was a 170, no problem to do a stand up landing but (because of its hybrid design I guess) the flare wasn't as powerful as my Katana 170.

Sounds like comparing apples with oranges like a diving elliptical and a flat trimmed square.

I have some experience with the Pulse, and if your numbers are correct,I can give you some insight from another low jump number person.

I only have 20 jumps on my Pulse loaded at 1.1:1.

I am fairly conservative as far as the canopy piloting is concerned. The canopy opens on heading and brisk but soft.
Toggle pressure is light but the canopy pretty responsive.
Take into consideration that my reference framework is based on bigger canopies and on a Pilot 190.
Front riser pressure is still high and rear riser turns are fun enough as far as I am concerned.
The canopy recovers pretty quickly after a front riser dive or turn.

The initial flare was more pronounced than on the pilot and I had some popping up issues due to over aggressive toggle application on the initial movement.The initial 1/4 of the flare is usually enough for me to plane out.
The rest of the flare probably has less punch, but slows down the canopy steadily once planed out, for a nice landing.

My home DZ will probably do a back to back comparison of 4 190sq ft canopies, including the pulse, to get a more real world feel.

I am very happy, and got exactly what I was looking for.
I am also sure that someone will point out that you should take my jump numbers and overall experience into account when processing this "opinion".

I don't see any icons for "cheers, have another beer"

cheers B|

Loaded lightly it is a great beginner canopy loaded a little more heavily and from what I've heard the flare somewhat diminishes.

I have 100jumps on a pulse 150 loaded at 0.93 and the glide on that canopy was amazing in terms of getting back from long spots. Usually opened for me anywhere from 400-600ft 95% of the time on heading and no hard openings whatsoever despite how few feet it takes to open. Always comfortable openings hassel and worry free. Few line twists once or twice and the canopy still flew straight

Pulse also packs slightly smaller than other canopies such as the Sabre2 due to the different material on the bottom skin.

Go demo one you might just like it
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Like every one else said the canopy has great predictable opennings, brisk but soft and very reliable heading performance. This canopy flies great and glides even better.
But contrary to what every one else says it flares perfectly fine. The flare will feel slightly different to other canopies due to the F1-11 hybrid but once you get used to the feel of it, it will be no problem to achieve nice soft landings. I did 50+ jumps on a Pulse 120 loaded at 2-1 landing at about 1700ft above sea level with absolutely no problems flaring what so ever.

I got some jumps on a pulse 170 over the holidays. I will have to say it more than just ez to land. Got cut off on final and landed cross wind to avoid water knee deep and it landed nicely. Packed nice even under a canopy on a windy day, I just wish they made the center cell out of orange. (they make the optima out of it) to aide finding the center of the canopy. Turns were nice and flew flat and sweet. Always opened on heading and pretty ez to put in the peas.
Has anyone towed a small flag? anyone jumping at 1.5 or above? the 170 I'm at 1.3 but thinking about a 150 but my container was to big for a 150. That puts me at 1.47

Personally I didn't like jumping a pulse over 1.4: I found the flare drastically less than at a lower WL, which gave me some trouble on a no-wind/slightly downwind day. The bigger pulses I jumped flared great.

Make sure to jump the size you're after, before buying.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I just bought a Pulse 170 WL at 1.25 and it is a nice canopy plenty of flare it shuts down nice. Its not really all that agressive i have put a few jumps on a 168 pilot and it seemed faster and more agressive but i love the way it packs. As i get more jumps on it ill post back on here.