TitaniumLegs

Does anybody play "Crud"?

I've never seen the game outside military circles---for that matter, I've not seen it much outsite the military pilot community.

I'd bet that in the civilian world, crud would quickly devolve into a bar fight. I think the only thing keeping rampaging brawls happening at the O-Club is those guys in bags don't wanna end up with any alcohol related career enders.

The civilian world doesn't have that artificial restraint. That, plus alcohol, plus people pushing each other around a pool table would almost be a recipe for a fight.

Which, in turn, would almost certainly lead to a lawsuit for the bar or dz owner who had a crud table...

But then again---maybe there's a whole crud universe out there I'm unaware of :)

-kjarv

Heya Peter

"coo loo-coo coo coo coo coo coo coo, G'day eh"

Yes, I've played Crud, once. (our DZ is on a WWI era air base and the regional cadet gliding school still operates). Yes, the game can lead to injury but not in the way you might suspect.

Crud was introduced by a fellow instructor (former cadet officer) one night when we were already a touch too inebriated to be effective with pool cues. Rules? We din' need no steenkin rules ... and ask a drunk skydiver to explain them and whaddyathink you get besides confused?

We played as we waited for our late night munchies to be prepared (having a golf course clubhouse within staggering disatnce of our trailer ghetto is a Godsend). Then, we staggered to the Officer's mess for a couple rounds and played shuffleboard with similar vigor. Once they kicked us out (..hey, it was after last call and we were the last ones, um, standing) we went Object-Climbing (you know the one). I'm not sure which was stupider... "RW-lite", or 'taking one for the team' and driving to the hospital so that our 'Beer' participant could have the gash in her shin stitched up (sigh, now she's "scarred for life"). Everyone knows the end result, including her Jumpmaster-dad (yes, we were forgiven, eventually). Until now, the true origin of the tale has not been told.

The moral? Avoid Crud. It has strange and unpredictable powers over ration..., uh, waiddaminute, never mind.

Dave

PS: I'll never forget that the look on your face(s) when I told you guys at H-town that I'd actually landed ON that white Suburban ... :o:D:D:P... hehe. Somedays I wonder about me...

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

have heard about it but never seen it played... heck they even gave out an award fr it at an oficial cermony once.........it's a pilot game, us maintaners just sit around and drink beer....

I played crud when I was at Shaw AFB, NC.... not too much lately. I thought it was GREAT fun. Didn't ever get seriously hurt, but probably cuz I wasn't playing hard enough. I would love to get a crud table and play again.... with the amount of running, it could be used as an excuse for exercise.