MiamiJumper

Alti selection for beginner ?

I got the altitrack. Very comfortable and easy to read, also has a nice digital feature so you can review everything from fall rate to deployment altitude. I ran it through almost 300 jumps and 2 years and it was still showing full batteries just before it was stolen.

It's something you will use every jump so spend the money on a good one.

-Michael

I bought a viso at jump 30 and havn't looked back since. No guessing what altitude you are at, just a quick easy glance for an exact altitude. Plus the logging feature is extremely useful, especially when you start jumping 5-6 times a day.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

I have a Altitrack as well and love it for WS. I would still suggest the Galaxy. It is $200 bucks cheaper. That $200 would allow for a purchase of goggles, helmet, and either a used RW suit or audible. After the OP gets some more experience with gear and time in sport, then become a gear whore like me.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I was wondering what a good choice for a altimeter would be for a beginner? I recently got cleared to solo status and was planning on buying small things along the way to the A license.

Altimaster II on a chest or mudflap mount.

It's readable in any body position, can be seen my people across from you in a belly formation, won't tangle with lines, and doesn't have batteries. You can replace the lens if you scratch it. Available for under $50 used.

Has worked great for over forty years.

I have over 1500 jumps on a pair - I broke the first one and bought the second used for less than the standard repair fee.

One great reason for an analog, no battery required.

If the boogie was a couple of weeks ago, you didn't ask me. I had spares.:(

Nah, it wasn't that boogie. It was the West Plains one a few months earlier. Now I carry no less than 3 neptune and optima battery's in my bag.
Muff #5048

+1

And my friend has an old altimeter from Alti-2 that is 20 years old and he's worn it for 1000 skydives, and it still works great.

Nice to not have to worry about batteries.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?