Staso

some questions about selling the entire rig

Hi!

I sold couple of dytters/pro-tracks and a main canopy on classifieds here but now
I'm selling the entire rig and I was wondering if someone can help me out with some
answers.

when I sold my canopy, I used my rigger at my dz and a mediator - the buyer sent money
order to my rigger and I sent the canopy to the buyer. after canopy was recieved I got the
check and transaction was complete.

I was wondering how people go about selling the entire rig? also what is best service to
ship a rig? and how does it work if buyer pays the shipping fees?

thanks!

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Hi staso,

Via the classifieds here on this website I've sold a fair amount of small stuff, a harness/container only, and a complete rig.

For the small stuff I usually just get a gut feeling and accept payment & then ship.

For the harness/container I req'd payment in advance. Oh, I should note I was selling all of this stuff for a friend, so in a sense, I was the 'middleman.'

For the entire rig, I used his DZO as the middleman. When the DZO contacted me and said that he had the funds from the potential buyer, I shipped the rig.

I usually require that the buyer pay the shipping. If they did not want it because it was not as advertised, I would have paid for the shipping back. If they did not want it because they didn't like the color ( they had color photos beforehand ) then they would have to pay for the return shipping.

It is all in how YOU want to market things.

As for shipping, US Postal Service is reliable for small stuff but they have some limits on insurance amounts. For big stuff, I have a UPS store just up the street. Some people prefer FedEx; take your pick.

I hope this helps somewhat,

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,

Thanks for your response. This is what I was thinking too, just wanted to check. When buyer pays
shipping, do you require extra payment and then you pay for actual shipment, or do you use postal
service to claim the shipment fees from buyer?

Thanks,
Stan

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

it will be a significantly cheaper if you ship a rig via fedex or ups vs. USPS

by postal service i didn't mean USPS, but rather companies that are in mailing business :)

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

When the buyer pays the shipping you add that into the payment they send you. Ask the buyer how they want the rig shipped, pack it up and then go get it weighed to see what the shipping cost will be. Don't forget to add in the cost for insurance to cover the item.

You can also get costs for the various delivery methods (2nd day, 3 day, ground, etc) and let the buyer decide which they option they want to use.

When the buyer pays the shipping you add that into the payment they send you. Ask the buyer how they want the rig shipped, pack it up and then go get it weighed to see what the shipping cost will be. Don't forget to add in the cost for insurance to cover the item.

You can also get costs for the various delivery methods (2nd day, 3 day, ground, etc) and let the buyer decide which they option they want to use.

cool, thank you very much for detailed answer!

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

Hi Staso,

First, you are welcome.

For the entire rig that I sold I had the DZO hold the money for the price of the gear. I then shipped it COD for the shipping and the insurance.

The COD charges were ridiculous IMO but that is how I did it. In the future I think I would get the pricing on the shipping & insurance and make sure the middle-man has that amount also.

There are no rules written in stone. Some days you just have to role the dice & see what comes up. :P

JerryBaumchen

PS) As for this last sale of the entire rig: The buyer was VERY satisfied with the rig & he never complained about the pricing; we did accept his counter-offer that was $200 less than the original asking price so that may have had something to do with it. ;)

Just remember that whomever you use for shipping, you might make sure they require a signature. UPS and FedEx both have a "ring and run" method. Double check your shipping rates also. Make sure you don't get slapped with a big "gas surcharge" either.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

Just remember that whomever you use for shipping, you might make sure they require a signature. UPS and FedEx both have a "ring and run" method. Double check your shipping rates also. Make sure you don't get slapped with a big "gas surcharge" either.

thanks, mikecm469!

--
Speed Skydiving Forum