rawmojo

Unusual helmets?

I've just got tired of the old FRAPHAT and my Z1 when I'm flying my wingsuit...I want a new one!
Why?
'Cause I can!!!

I've just seen the ol' movie "The Rocketeer" and I thought "Hey, THAT'S a cool helmet!!!"
However, the design on the helmets is not safe for skydiving, due to the extended FIN!
...but I'm gonna get in contact with a blacksmith, to design a "skydiving/wingsuit friendly" replica anyway!
Because the vanity is bigger than the safety! ;)
No, seriously, I DO wanna try it in freefall!

How about you?!
Do U use unusual- cool-looking- rare- funny- helmets in the sky?
Post 'em here!!!
If you've got nothing to do, you could do anything...

I can't remember the guys name now, but the first year of the An-72 boogie in Germany, there was a guy with what was basically a downhill speed skier helmet that was adapted for wingsuiting. It was insanely unfriendly for skydiving and very dangerous IMO since he was basically flying blind.

One thing I have noticed about many of the gimmick helmets I've seen people jump with over the years, is that they all tend to limit the wearers field of vision and or present potential snag hazards. I'd recommend that what ever modifications you make to your helmet to resemble the Rocketeer helmet, that they be made of a material or in such a way that if they do get snagged that they will break away and that they don't hinder the normal operation of your parachute, be it main or reserve.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Jsut buy a new Skysystems full face or like style helmet and have it painted, the lens can have various tints/films applied that you can see through, and you can open the lens for better vision under canopy. It will look cool and not kill you.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

When I looked at the attachment the first word out of my mouth was "holy snag hazard!". You might be able to creatively mitigate that risk by making the fin really floppy and shorten the tail slightly...

-Michael

...yeah, probably lite plastic on the fin!

I can't remember the guys name now, but the first year of the An-72 boogie in Germany, there was a guy with what was basically a downhill speed skier helmet that was adapted for wingsuiting. It was insanely unfriendly for skydiving and very dangerous IMO since he was basically flying blind.

One thing I have noticed about many of the gimmick helmets I've seen people jump with over the years, is that they all tend to limit the wearers field of vision and or present potential snag hazards. I'd recommend that what ever modifications you make to your helmet to resemble the Rocketeer helmet, that they be made of a material or in such a way that if they do get snagged that they will break away and that they don't hinder the normal operation of your parachute, be it main or reserve.

I've actually spoke to an skydiver/blacksmith today!
He said that he could make the helmet...BUT with a plastic fin (smaller and made of really sloppy plastic material), and with a cutaway system for the chinstrap!
I'll return with updates on the design!