skydiverek

"Campus" rig, LOR-2 reserve pins/opening problem

I noticed a problem with Campus (from Parachute de France) student rigs (not sure if they are "Campus 1" or "Campus 2"). Anyway, the problem I observed is the accidental reserve openings. One reserve opened just after the main canopy opening, resulting in a biplane. The other rig was transported on a truck, when the reserve opened...

I am attaching the photo of the one that opened on the truck. As you can see, there is plenty of slack left on the "LOR-2" lanyards, and the pins are still "deep" down, but already OUT of the loops. The FXC AAD did NOT fire.

Of course, once packed, both pins were thru the metal eye.

There is also plenty of slack in the reserve cable.

Do you have any idea or similar experiences of what is causing this?

Blue Skies!

Bart

i don't see the closing loop at all, did it break? did the fingertrap come undone? what material are they made of? were they properly trapped and knotted? hard to tell what happened from the photo.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

To state the obivious if the loops didn't break the pins must have been pulled.:P

I don't see how it COULD have looked like the photo and opened. Something was different.

Is the FXC cable housing installed in a clamp to make sure it can't move it? In all installations I've seen there is a metal plate installed through a stiffener and a clamp around the end of the cable housing. The end of the housing isn't visable in the photo. If the housing moved, clamp lose or installed some other way, the FXC could 'pull' the reserve without it 'firing'.

Only thing I've got if the reserve ripcord is the proper length and not getting snagged.

edit to add

I looked at an Atom manual, could find a Campus manual. It looks like they just use two gromment through a plastic stiffener to mount the housing clamp. An example of the installation I'm familiar with is in the Vector manual at http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=342&Itemid=243
It uses the whole mounting plate that is captured by the loop gromment. What this ensures is that the FXC pulls the pin when it FIRES and doesn't just fold the flap. The opposite of the problem your having. But I can easily see the clamp coming lose and the housing getting pulled pulling the pin.

Interestingly enough the Atom manual shows the pin pulling cable/termanal eye around the RSL pins, not the cable and extra pin above the closing pins. But it might not reach on the Campus.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

wrong routing of the FXC which must be mounted on the extra pin and not on the cable as shown. But this is not the reason of the opening.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Terry,

I mean, the FXC eyelet must be mount on the extra pin and not on the cable itself as shown on the shot. So the purpose of this pin is as you said.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

Oh, okay, now I understand what you ment. And agree. How the hell did they get it on the cable anyway? Is the eye in that FXC fitting really big enough? Or did they manufacture it with the fitting on the cable?

But as it is it looks close to interferring with a normal pull. The RSL pins look like they will be very close to the fitting, if it stays put, before clearing the loop.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yes, I know but it has been requested to be switched years ago after several problems. I do not remember the exact reason.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

cedric said :

in my opinion their is 2 cause of that problem
1_bad positionning of the velcro and too many tension on the pin who cause the optenning.
2_the sangle of the lor is too short it happens of previous version of campus II and was modify
sorry for my bad english

note :
Cedric was master-rigger, master-packer, master-aff, master-tandem, etc, etc.

for my opinion, that is an "obsolete" gear, burn-it. lol...
niques tout, chies d'dans...