erdnarob

Reserve Spectra Rip Cord

With the Spectra ripcord there is NO PROTRUDING part at all unlike the metal cable and ball which shows a good 2-3" extra and represents a possible catch (it happened in Germany few years ago). Now why change something which works (for 70 years) ? Because the Spectra ripcord while being stronger than metal cable and having no protruding part decreases also the problem related to a floating ripcord (having NO ACCESS to a reserve ripcord is a major issue isn't it ?). I have jumped my Vector III equiped with Spectra ripcord at 2 major boogies ie. SDC Summerfest and Tiki Bar boogie at SNE, NO TRACE of wear on the Spectra rip cord at the handle. I don't even think that the Spectra rubs against the packing carpet when packing. Same for the 3 ring white loops.
Moreover I had to open my reserve container recently (I have felt no difference with respect to an all metal ripcord) and this time I made 400 move back and forth with a Kevlar line (twice the amount of moves than the precedent test), and no significant damage on the line.

Now, could you check the swaging of the ball or/and pin of your metal reserve ripcord ? No at all. You only can do it if you have a machine to test them at 300 lbs for 3 seconds (by the way, I have designed and made such a machine). Could you check the pin itself and see if there is any micro cracks in it like it happened few years ago when some pins broke with almost no stress on them ???
With the Spectra ripcord, you can check easily the two bartacks securing the fingertarp at both ends. All of that is an actual advantage and the rest represents pure speculation but as I said on other issues, you have the right to prefer to keep your old slippers.:)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.