1 1
slcooper

Rigs for Big Guys

The 218 reserve should be fine. Since its made from materials different from the zero P, it will have less forward speed than your larger main and give you a similar landing. I consider a reserve ride an emergency and I do a PLF anyway.
Blue Skies
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Hi Steve, I was basically stating that at your weight the reserve would set you down similar to the spectre 230, which you are also over the recommended suspended weight on.
They are right about the TSO. I guess I didn't catch your exit weight at the time but when they do the initial testing for the TSO, they are tested with 25% over on the weight and 30% over on the speed. They have to do several tests with no damage.

I do agree that you should have a bigger reserve and possibly a bigger main. There is an outfit in Florida that has some nice MC5's which are pretty cheap. They are 260's and they also have a Ravin 240. Let me know if you are interested and I can tell you who has them.
Blue Skies
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

SLCooper I too am 6’2” but body weight of 280 lbs. I jump Parachute Systems full line of gear with a Parachute System Vortex rig, a Decelerator 250 reserve, and the proud owner of the two only custom made Volt 230, and I have two complete rigs custom made for me! The rigs are rated for weights up to 274 lbs but as Captain_Stan properly said, no laws from the FAA nor rules from the USPA restrict the owner/jumper of any rig from exceeding such weights. However, without continuing the false narrative of weight limits enforcement, I strongly encourage you to look into a complete rig from Parachute Systems and add the Mars AAD. I’d be most happy to place you in contact with my sales rep and rigger if desired? The Volt 210 sq ft was PS largest size for this canopy as a semi elliptical and just off student type of canopy. Chris, the owner, custom made two of these Volts in an230 sq ft for me and to my knowledge I have the only two. However PS has main canopies up to and including a 285 sq ft which can be ordered in full ZP or hybrid. For your size and skill level I’d strongly suggest the Vortex rig, decelerator reserve and Volt in the 210 sq ft range. This will treat you well and after a few years of enjoyment this rig will be capable of downsizing the main from 210 sq ft to the 185 sq ft while keeping the 210 reserve and rig. Doing slow downsizing is the key and you will enjoy this immensely as I have for years. I was a test jumper long long ago before modern parachutes were the mainstream and I’ve sold or given away all the older gear and own just these two rigs now. I’ve got old F111 mains in storage but they certainly won’t see the air again for me anyway. Good water jump gear but I’m past that. Semi retired now and no longer test jumping nor competing, I am still the president of the “Armed Forces Parachute Team” and vice president of the “Law Enforcement Officers Skydiving Team (LEOS)”. I now just enjoy jumping with my son and having fun with a few close friends. Please consider giving Parachute Systems a serious chance as I know beyond doubt that you will enjoy their gear for many years!

M. CORDELL, D-7096