Lisa_Airmet

Tandem Packing

I just started packing tandem and was looking for as many tips and advice as possible. I know how to pack (the one way i was taught) but i never was told of stuff to make sure I DONT do. I had a line over the other day and I know my flaking was done correctly, I have no clue what else causes it. I would love anyone with any tips that will help me be a great packer. thanks everyone!

Talk to a rigger and have him watch you packing. Ask the rigger to show you how mistakes can cause a line-over.

If you are packing in the United States you must be under the direct supervision of a rigger who must provide training and ongoing supervision, and that rigger must take responsibility for the work you do. It is not enough to simply approve you to pack...the rigger must provide continuing oversight. Both you and the rigger should be clear as to what that oversight entails, and it should be documented.

For more information about the regulations in the United States, see "Article 11--Who Can Pack a Main Parachute" on The Ranch web site at: http://theblueskyranch.com/STA.php.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Two tips

Tip 1 - Do a four line check on every pack job.

Tip 2 - Make sure that you keep the lines on the tail side. Don't roll them under the canopy while you are working the air out because this puts the lines on the nose side which can lead to a line over.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

If you are flat packing the kit, once you have flaked the tail, and are ready to wrap the tail around the rest of the pack job, do a line check. if its 9 cell there should be 4 brake lines each side and 10 D lines. put all in the centre and once you have brought the slider up and have the stabilisers folded over either side, take the excess of the tail indicated by the big warning label and pull it out a bit- you wont disturb your other work, and then wrap this around the pack job and underneath ittil you get a sausage shape. if you use all that excess you wont disturb the lines or the rest of the pack job. if the lines stay in the centre it is less likely for a line over to occur. remmeber to keep your lines nice and straight. :)

Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again