alberto1980

washing a canopy

Hi, I have a PD vengeance airlocked canopy, landend in sand and now I am trying to get rid of the sand inside the cells, but I do not know how? Any hints? Can I wash my canopy with a water hose? Is it safe for the material?
I do not think leaving sand inside is good for the material either.
Thanks for any suggestions everybody:)

Hi, I have a PD vengeance airlocked canopy, landend in sand and now I am trying to get rid of the sand inside the cells, but I do not know how? Any hints? Can I wash my canopy with a water hose? Is it safe for the material?
I do not think leaving sand inside is good for the material either.
Thanks for any suggestions everybody:)

If you have 60 jumps you have no business flying a vengeance.
If you think that washing a canopy with a hose will wash the sand out from inside the cells, you have no business doing anything that requires thinking.

Stay safe, stay on the ground.

The Vengence is a high performance elliptical airlocked canopy, that basically means you shouldn't even think of jumping it.

Do your instructors/DZO/ST&A know about this canopy that you bought? Are they letting you jump it?

Read this to understand what folks are saying about the appropriateness of this canopy for a jumper w/ 60 jumps.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Veng_Flight.PDF

Washing an entire canopy is NOT generally reccommended. The components of the canopy may shrink differently... tape vs fabric. This can distort the shape of the canopy. If it were my canopy, I would c all the manufacturer for advise.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Thanks for your suggestion. I already called PD and they told me to try with a hose spraying inside the cells, but I also read that it`s not the best to get the canopy wet due to different materials and the way they shrink back when dry, as you also tell. Apparently also PD does not know what to do in this situation; they are trying different things on canopies with sand they got back from Iraq. I hanged the canopy and brushed the sand off as much as I could. The airlocks do not help here I must say.
Thank you

The Vengence is a high performance elliptical airlocked canopy, that basically means you shouldn't even think of jumping it.

Do your instructors/DZO/ST&A know about this canopy that you bought? Are they letting you jump it?

At least he is only loading it 1:1 and probably more tame than say a sabre2 loaded at 1.3.

If you think that washing a canopy with a hose will wash the sand out from inside the cells, you have no business doing anything that requires thinking.

There was no call to treat him abusively like that. Skygod attitudes like that suck ass.

There was no call to treat him abusively like that. Skygod attitudes like that suck ass.

I disagree on both points. How uncommon sense is to shake the sand out through the openings (nose) of the canopy ? It doesn't take a skygod attitude or any jumps to figure out that sand comes out through where it came in.

Personally, I think the OP is trolling, and thus the harshness of my reply.

I disagree on both points. How uncommon sense is to shake the sand out through the openings (nose) of the canopy ? It doesn't take a skygod attitude or any jumps to figure out that sand comes out through where it came in. reply]

I guess you have never gotten sand into anything. It doesn't just shake out, or just blow out. The shit is as bad as velcro.
I guess you missed it is an airlocked canopy which would prevent shaking the sand out of the nose with any ease.
Sometimes folks here should stop being canopy nazis and just answer the question asked or shut the fuck up >:(.

To the OP - sorry dude, no ideas here. If I was you I would just jump it and let the relative air blow as much sand out as it can.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Try this:

1. Hang the canopy up on a canopy rack by the tail, spread full width. high enough to get the nose just off the ground.

2. From the bottom side of the canopy, grasp a few cells at a time by the nose and lift them high enough to let the sand fall out of the airlock sections. Shake the canopy a little.

3. Ease the nose down and let the sand fall to the nose.

4. From the top side, grasp the nose from underneath and turn it inside out to dump the sand.

Repeat 2 - 4 until the sand is all out.

Good luck!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Hang it by the tail, then climb into each cell with a soft brush. Yes, it will take time.

Then sell it, or put it in a closet, and find something more appropriate to jump for now.

(Or just sell it with the sand in it. :)

Johan.
I am. I think.