tsalnukt

Argus Batteries....

I tried to do a search but cna't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if you can use regular old CR123 batteries or do they have to be CR123A. I have a customer that bought the wrong batteries and was just curious. Thanks.

Argus manual, page 7.
Section 2.2
... The batteries are standard off-the-shelf CR123A. ...

So are you saying that the posters above you are wrong? Are you saying that you must only use CR123A batteries? Did you get your information from somewhere besides the manual?

If it is writen "CR123A" in the manual from the producer, then use only CR123A.

So are you saying that the posters above you are wrong? Are you saying that you must only use CR123A batteries? Did you get your information from somewhere besides the manual?

Or call Argus and ask them if it is OK... can't ask a better source.

Or call Argus and ask them if it is OK... can't ask a better source.

Willem is part of Aviacom, the manufacturer.

http://www.argus-aad.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=31

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Willem,

Could you enlighten us as to the difference between CR123 and CR123A batteries and why ANSI and IEC both classify the two under one specification?

Every major battery manufacturer seems to think these are interchangeable and my understanding is that the difference is purely that of trade name.

Do you have information to the contrary?

I did just get off the phone with "Energizer" and they swear up and down and have sent me a "statement" saying that the 2 batteries are identical and interchangeable. With that being said, I would also like to be enlightened on the manufacturers stance on the usage of the batteries.

If the manufacturer of the batteries says that they are one in the same what is the liability issue if the CR123 is used instead of the CR123A?

FYI, searching for "CR123" on the web sites of several large electronics distributors in the US resulted in batteries describes as "CR123A".

It seems unusual that your friend would even be able to find CR123. Do you know where he got them?

I don't understand. Can someone please interpret this for me.

I think that we have established through the manufacturers that the 2 batteries are one and the same. I guess the real question is...Does Argus support the use of CR123 batteries in place of CR123A?

IOW. If "something" happens to someone and in the course of the investigation, the Argus is opened up and the batteries inside are labeled CR123 instead of CR123A, will you get in trouble, or, will Argus support you because the batteries are interchangeable?

walmart. Energizer batteries and they don't have any CR123A.

I'm thinking your customer should bite the bullet and get the CR123A version from somewhere.

I like Walmart, but it seems they screwed the pooch on this particular product, and got the cheapest thing they could find.

Good for paper towels, not good for AAD batteries.

walmart. Energizer batteries and they don't have any CR123A.

I'm thinking your customer should bite the bullet and get the CR123A version from somewhere.

I like Walmart, but it seems they screwed the pooch on this particular product, and got the cheapest thing they could find.

Good for paper towels, not good for AAD batteries.

According to Aviacom in the Argus manual, Energizer is an acceptable brand.

They (Energizer) just don't make a battery that they call "CR123A". Their battery is called "123" and they say on both the package and the website that it is a replacement for CR123A.

This is an Energizer package with the Energizer version of the CR123A battery.

So how did Walmart "screw the pooch" or "get the cheapest"?

You know, at first I was in the camp that said you had to have something called "CR123A".

But now, having learned a bit more, I am not so sure anymore.

If Aviacom says Energizer is acceptable, but Energizer doesn't even make a "CR123A", it would seem that they might be just as confused as we are.

OK, I'll retract that. The following link is just one of many I found with a search. It seems Energizer does not even call it a "CR". This company seems to think it is an equivalent.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/energizer-cr123a.html

I'm still suspicious and curious. When part numbers are given a suffix of "A" there is usually a reason. It is not unheard of for a distributor to purchase a number of "non-suffix" parts to resell, because in most cases, a small difference in products would not matter to most customers.

Aviacom should specify either exact part numbers (e.g. Duracell CR123A, Energizer CR123, Panasonic CR123, blah blah), or preferably list a standard the battery must conform to.

IEC and ANSI both have standards for this battery. IEC calls it CR17345, ANSI calls it 5018LC. Just like the battery commonly known as AA conforms to IEC LR6. Just like I said in my first reply to this post, they are the same battery.

We already use military and industry specs for hardware, and those are considered interchangeable regardless of manufacturer. It would not be a huge leap in protocol for this to work the same way.

This is a deficiency in the Argus manual IMO.

I'm still suspicious and curious. When part numbers are given a suffix of "A" there is usually a reason. It is not unheard of for a distributor to purchase a number of "non-suffix" parts to resell, because in most cases, a small difference in products would not matter to most customers.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too, until some research and some discussion with others convinced me that this is not that sort of case.

But, as I said, I have now come over to the camp that says there is no difference, and that Aviacom is probably as confused as we are.

The answer of the Manufacturer (Aviacom SA) is very clear !

It really isn't. Would you ask your engineering staff to explain for us what the difference between CR123 and CR123A batteries is? I suspect their answer will not be verbose.

Argus manual, p.7:

The batteries are standard off-the-shelf CR123A. We recommend the use of Sanyo, Energizer, Duracell,
Panasonic or Sony batteries. The remaining shelf life must be at least six years. Other brands can be used
too, but we have found these brands to work the best.

Energizer does not manufacture a battery labeled CR123A, and yet their batteries are specifically called out in the Argus manual.

I hope this is just a communication problem between you and your technical staff, and that they understand this: CR123 and CR123A are equivalent, period.