Dougiefresh

red cross international relief

The cleanup from the tsunami is going to cost billions of dollars. These people have lost everything. As the richest nation on earth, it falls to us to share what we have with those who now have nothing. Even if you think it doesn't affect you, I guarantee this event has changed the world. Think about how badly the economy got hit by 9/11. Now multiply that by 10,000.

I just donated a tiny amount of money to the red cross international relief fund. If each of us gives just a little bit, we can help these people get back on their feet.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the richest nation on earth, it falls to us to share what we have with those who now have nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I have already contributed, why a statement like that?

pecourse it aint all about you,other people might also want to help this is a great way to do so...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

pecourse it aint all about you,other people might also want to help this is a great way to do so...

Much like in the previous thread, you fail to see other than that which you want to.

Anytime someone says "we" I'm wondering if they have a mouse in their pocket.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Because its the simple truth and maybe it will help to motivate people to contribute.

Half your statement might be correct.

Well, I think that while it doesnt automatically "fall to us to help" that we do have a moral imperative to assist if possible.
If the people that are most capable of assisting do not do so, then frankly, we suck.
__

My mighty steed

Well, I think that while it doesnt automatically "fall to us to help" that we do have a moral imperative to assist if possible.

That I can agree with.

If the people that are most capable of assisting do not do so, then frankly, we suck.

That too.

:)

I encourage as many people as feel the desire to help to do so! A disaster can happen anywhere, I'd hope people world wide would help anyone who needs it out.........
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Great sentiment and totally supported..but whilst we individually may give as much as we care to I belive that it is beholdent upon each of our governments to get off their fat arses and dig deep... very very deep and FAST time is running out for the survivours and they need is oh so great about now.

Lets do some good work peeps.....

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Just donated myself... This is the most horrible thing I have ever seen. I feel such sorrow for these people. What is hitting me the hardest is all the children that lost their lives. Seeing the parent grieve and realizing how painful it would be to be in their shoes. This is downright horrible... We will likely see the number dead around 200,000+ before all is said and done. Unbelievable. Children playing on the beach just being kids having fun.. Gone...

I wish I could go there and help personally.. :(

Rhino

They don't really need money at this point. While I'm sure the Red Cross will put the money they get to good use, the scale of this is so huge. I was listening a little while ago to NPR, and a representative of one of the governments was explaining that they have plenty of money already pouring in from the whole world. Incredibly though, the biggest problem seems to be organization. The governments providing assistance need to divide up the work to be done and task it out in managable pieces. It's just mind-boggling ... the communications and logistics ... :|

We in the west have vast armed forces that pride themselves with their Logistic and communication skills - Their ability to mobilise large numbers rapidly has been demonstrated to dramatic effect so lets use them now and help a bunch of people that can not currently help them selves.....

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

If you donate, don't be surprised if you end up having to call their tech support line as I did. Their website is having a hard time keeping up with the traffic flow.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

FYI....if you have any airline miles from Continental, Northwest, United or Delta, you can donate them from this link as well.

Thanks for this info. I just donated a bunch of Skymiles. I don't know when I'll get around to using them - hopefully the Red Cross can put them to good use. This tsunami disaster makes Florida's hurricanes look like a day in the park.

If you donate, don't be surprised if you end up having to call their tech support line as I did. Their website is having a hard time keeping up with the traffic flow.

Well, in part I guess that's a good thing ....
This is one of the most terrible things I've ever seen in my life. :(:(:(

MEN: you can't live with 'em, you can't shoot 'em, but you can act psychotic and keep 'em off balance.
HISPA #10

The US will help, like it always has. Then the world will bitch about how the US could have done more even when they did more than anyone else. The World will bitch about how the US could have done it better...

Basicly the world will bitch about the US as normal just like always.

By that measure, the United States spent almost $15.8 billion for "official development assistance" to developing countries in 2003. Next closest was Japan, at $8.9 billion.

That doesn't include billions more the United States spends in other areas such as AIDS and HIV programs and other U.N. assistance.

So the US gave 15.8 Billion last year. And that does not include any donations by private people.

Americans last year gave an estimated $241 billion to charitable causes -- domestic and foreign -- according to a study by Giving USA Foundation. That's up from $234 billion in 2002. The foundation did not break down how much was for domestic causes and how much for foreign.

Japan was second, but a FAR second with 6.9 Billion behind.

And still people bitch about the US.

Also for all of those that hate the US and Bush

The chief of U.S. Agency for International Development, which distributes foreign aid, was quick to point out Tuesday that foreign assistance for development and emergency relief rose from $10 billion in President Clinton's last year to $24 billion under President Bush in 2003

No matter how much we give...6.9 BILLION more from our government than anyone else, and untold Billions on top of that.

People are gonna bitch that we are "stingy" and don't help.

It kills me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334