flyinhi79

Purposely inducing a flat spin???

Hello,

I was reading another thread and noticed someone say they "purposely induced a flat spin so they could learn how to recover." I understand what a flat spin is for a plane but is it the same thing for a canopy and how the heck can you get your canopy to do it?

Is this a common mal that should be practiced?

I have low jump numbers and understand anything that is posted on this site should be verified through my home DZ instructors. So, do not think I am going to read something here and just go try it without face to face advice. Stupid hurts :)

Flat spin was prob. referd to as while still free falling. Do search on you tube or skydivingmovies.com for flat spin. Has happened with tandems, but you can initiat it solo jumping. There is a video about it for TM's. It is very dangerous.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I was reading another thread and noticed someone say they "purposely induced a flat spin so they could learn how to recover."

Is it possible that the other thread was discussing "flat turns" and not flat spins?

There's a thread in incidents in which the value of practicing flat turns is being discussed.
Owned by Remi #?

Flat spin was prob. referd to as while still free falling. Do search on you tube or skydivingmovies.com for flat spin. Has happened with tandems, but you can initiat it solo jumping. There is a video about it for TM's. It is very dangerous.

With tandems it generally happens when the student and passenger are off-set by a bit, with loose laterals, and often with a small student. It's always before the drogue is thrown. In my experience it generally begins when the student de-arches and the TI arches. Then you get this crazy propeller-like off-set and away it goes. It's stupid-dangerous which is why tandem instructors are trained to recognize and react to the onset.

For experienced solo jumpers spins are not a big deal, as long as the jumper is capable of stopping a spin. For a level four, that is beyond the available skill, but for an experienced jumper spins are really no more than really, really, really fast turns, and they can be a blast! Try tucking an arm, twisting your torso, kicking out a leg and dropping the other knee to see how fast you can spin. Damn is it fun. I think the original poster had something like 35 jumps, and probably shouldn't go all out, but heck, if you can stop a turn, then you should be able to stop a fast turn. And if you can stop a fast turn...
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I was reading another thread and noticed someone say they "purposely induced a flat spin so they could learn how to recover."

Is it possible that the other thread was discussing "flat turns" and not flat spins?

There's a thread in incidents in which the value of practicing flat turns is being discussed.

Thank you for all the replies. The thread I was reading is [http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3241497;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread]

Post #27 where the guy said he has done flat spins so he can get experience with them in case he finds himself in one unintentionally.

poster had something like 35 jumps

That is why i didnt go into detail about how to do it solo. Cuase he should ask an instructor how to do it in person so the instructor can show him how to streemline his body to get out of it. I have seen the TM video about it.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

poster had something like 35 jumps

That is why i didnt go into detail about how to do it solo. Cuase he should ask an instructor how to do it in person so the instructor can show him how to streemline his body to get out of it. I have seen the TM video about it.

I appreciate your concern. I figured that is how some members would respond and that is why I wrote "I have low jump numbers and understand anything that is posted on this site should be verified through my home DZ instructors. So, do not think I am going to read something here and just go try it without face to face advice. Stupid hurts
" at the bottom of my post.

This way people would know I was not going to go try it without speaking to an authority on it!

It seems it is something more relating to tandoms and wingsuits than solo's. So it makes more sense now.

I just did not want to hijack the other guys thread for my own questions.

Again, I appreciate everyones responses ;)

I canada (or at least in Quebec), years ago, we decided to stop teaching students about flat spins and how to get out of them. Instead, we simply teach them what to do: relax, arch, ido this to turn this way, that to trun the other way.

And you know what happened: flat spin almost dispapeared, and students had the tools to deal with them if they had one anyways.

Something that the Canadian Coaching system does very well is instill in people how to coach: show people what to do, not what not to do.
Remster

Thank you for all the replies. The thread I was reading is [http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3241497;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread]

Post #27 where the guy said he has done flat spins so he can get experience with them in case he finds himself in one unintentionally.

The member is question has more then the 35 jumps listed on his profile, he just has not updated the file.

He was refering to a flat spin while flying a wing suit. This is a very real problem as they can be induced quite quickly, depending on the suit you fly.

Prior to any wingsuit jumps, find a qualified instructor.
Downsizing is not the way to prove your manhood.

I was referring to inducing a flat spin while flying a wingsuit. This isn't something you should try until you can fly your suit like it's second nature. It's a lot of fun to pop up, flat spin 360 degrees over another wingsuiter and land perfectly on heading on the other side, but it can get pretty ugly if you can't control it. Ask Jeff Nebelkopf about how ugly it can get if you're ever around Z-Hills.
The best things in life are dangerous.

I was referring to inducing a flat spin while flying a wingsuit. This isn't something you should try until you can fly your suit like it's second nature. It's a lot of fun to pop up, flat spin 360 degrees over another wingsuiter and land perfectly on heading on the other side, but it can get pretty ugly if you can't control it. Ask Jeff Nebelkopf about how ugly it can get if you're ever around Z-Hills.

Oh I see! Thank you for clearing it up. I did not want to hijake your thread, so I started this one. I am super surprised no one has flammed me for low jump numbers and asking a stupid question "it's really nice" B|B|

I will never forget when I visited Mile Hi for the first time. A new 4 way team needed a 4th due to one man unable to jump. I was the most experienced one of the 3. I just stood in and followed their dive. the casa was in town and I was to give the count. Well I slipped and off i went without them. Next thing I know I am spinning and trying to get stopped and found that I could not. The way I fell immediately put me into a spin. At first I was laughing and smiling due to the fact that I am going to get hassled about it. After a bit I started to realize that I have a real problem. I could feel my arms and legs getting heavy, I tried the obvious and it did not work, so I tucked up into a ball and held it until things changed, then punched out an arch and all was well. Got slow and made it back to the 3, completed one round of points and left.

I found that nothing I did, arch, de arch, drop knee, arm, nothing worked except for balling up.

I bet I could never duplicate the exit that put me there, but I can definitely say that tucking my knees and wrapping my arms around them pulled me out of it.

I bought a case of beer for the team.

The closest I've ever come to blacking out in freefall was when a rodeo passenger on my back fell off to one side but didn't let go, putting us both into a fairly violent spin (it is on video, we were spinning a complete revolution in less than a second, maybe even half a second). No matter what I tried I couldn't stop the spin or eject my passenger, finally after about 5 seconds she let go and was flung across the sky. My vision had started graying out and tunneling, and I distinctly remember pins and needles in my fingers. Once she let go I stopped the spin after about half another rotation, took a second to let the blood return to everywhere, then continued the skydive. Gave me a healthy respect for how quickly things can go wrong!

For my reply, not talking about canopy or wingsuit but flatfly spins (bellyfly spins):

Controlled flat spins on my belly were lots of fun when I had to do a solo and I'm not in the mood to practice -- I've been able to stop them pretty quickly. The G's can be rather intense.

The problem is uncontrolled flat spins, which I found myself on my back once. When I was still a newbie. That was a little scary at 8000ft (approx), arching for 5 seconds didn't help, I stayed on my back! I knew I still had plenty of altitude, but it was scary back at the time that a hard arch didn't return me belly to ground, since the centripetal force of spinning while on my back, kept that from working. So I just barrel rolled while I was still spinning, and converted my fast backfly spin to a easily-recoverable fast bellyfly spin.

That was when I was still a newbie. Stopping a fast spin while falling on my back, was one of the harder attitude-recovery during bellyfly while as a few-jump newbie... Harder for a new skydiver to recover from than a simple tumble during falling, but easy once you figure it out -- you are trained to barrel roll during your AFF, so that's the training I reverted to.

Now even though I do mostly only RW, I can now stop a backfly spin without going back to belly, but this can be unexpected for newbies who has never flown on their back before (accidentally or intentionally)...

Now I'm just merely the classic 100-jump wonder that has to watch himself from becoming too complacent. :)

That sounds pretty familiar, I did some backflying to watch the others exit te plane. But I went in a flatspin quite fast, never had it before, it was a scary situation and whatever I tried I couldn't get on my belly. The jumpmaster witnessed it all, and it gave her a scare too. Jump altitude was 12k, and I managed to get out of it around 6k, don't ask me how I did it. I only remember that I tried a barrelrol with the turn and that didn't work because of the centrifugal forces.

I talked about it with an instructur, and he said that you have to do it against the turn, it's quite logical. Maybe I did that, I can't remember anymore.

Never have backflied since, I am concentrating on my belly skills now, I have tried to induce a flatspin on my belly on purpose but to no avail yet.

Never have backflied since, I am concentrating on my belly skills now, I have tried to induce a flatspin on my belly on purpose but to no avail yet.

Eventually, you will need to. At least once you start to bellyfly with other A-license newbies who has less skills than you...

By necessity, I now need to know how to backfly and how to quickly get back to belly no matter what my orientiation is -- to quickly survive a funnel, burble, or somebody more inexperienced gripped on me who burbles and takes me out -- and puts me on my back.

Some people saying even becoming a better freeflyer helps you become a better bellyflyer: I'm starting to think I'll need to work on freefly more, as I'm finding I now need to learn a few more freefly techniques to help prevent me from funnelling, or to recover from a strange distorted exit. Fun stuff.

I tried it again a couple of days ago, and there was no flatspin in sight.:)
But this time I've gotten into trouble with a half barrel rol to get on my belly. It seems that I did it much to aggressive (I love fast moves) and put my right arm in an awkward position that resulted in a subluxation of my right shoulder. :SB|

I tried it again a couple of days ago, and there was no flatspin in sight.:)
But this time I've gotten into trouble with a half barrel rol to get on my belly. It seems that I did it much to aggressive (I love fast moves) and put my right arm in an awkward position that resulted in a subluxation of my right shoulder. :SB|

Just bring your lower legs back in a bit and get them uneven ;)
That might help induce it a bit????