atsaubrey

Harley airplane?

Especially since Harleys have SUCH a reputation for being UNRELIABLE.

Yeah, so did horseless carriages in 1902. Times change....

Well it better be one of the new Evo head engines then, you put an old knuckle or shovel head in a plane you'd be lucky to make it off the taxi way

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

That's HILARIOUS! Especially since Harleys have SUCH a reputation for being UNRELIABLE. I think for kit planes I'll stick with a Rotax. :D

So what's wrong with Harley-Davidsons???

(OK, so my Sportster shook the chain-oiler off on the ride home from buying it.)

But other than that, what's wrong with Harley-Davidsons???

(OK, so the camshaft bearings went out at about 2000 miles.)

(OK, so one fork seal went out a few weeks later.)

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That's HILARIOUS! Especially since Harleys have SUCH a reputation for being UNRELIABLE. I think for kit planes I'll stick with a Rotax. :D

So what's wrong with Harley-Davidsons???

(OK, so my Sportster shook the chain-oiler off on the ride home from buying it.)

(OK, so the camshaft bearings went out at about 2000 miles.)

(OK, so one fork seal went out a few weeks later.)

:D I have friends that work at Harley. Some of them own a Harley (great peaks for buying one if you want to)...some of them don't. The ones that don't own Harley's are given major grief at work. :D At the same time...says something about a company's product if their own employees don't want to own one of their own. :D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

At the same time...says something about a company's product if their own employees don't want to own one of their own.

Not really. Do all Kawasaki employees own them? Or Honda workers? I doubt it.

Some people like Harleys, some don't. Whatever. But the reliability and quality of the 88B engines is as good, if not better, than their Japanese counterparts.

(Note - ryoder's sportster doesn't have this engine).

I was thumbing thru the January issue of Private Pilot and noticed they built a plane using a Harley-Davidson motorcycle engine. Would anyone in their right mind fly in this thing without a rig? NOT ME!

let the flaming begin:P

There is a big gaping vacuum in aviation engines below 100 horse power. Its a big reason the new affordable sport plane market isn't bigger than it is. Don't confuse these with slow ultralights. These are faster, carry more and go farther than ultralights.

In 1977 Rutan designed the original single place quickie airframe for two business men to use in their kit which featured a ( I kidd you not ) 20 horse Onan generator/lawn mower engine.

Other engines tried in this category of aircraft without resorting to two stroke rotaxs and their problems: BMW twin opposed boxer motors, the french built 2CV opposed twin out of their cute little citroen. VW engines sliced down to two cylinders. And there are small aircraft running on some of the bigger briggs and Stratten motors.

So how does the Harley V twin stand in this category now that you see some of the other options?

You know the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?

Position of the dirtbag.

Howdja like to go home and tell Momma a dirtbag whupped your ass?

(Strictly Joking:)
My Sportster (now with over 10,000 miles on it) has not given me a single problem. And I have not been gentle with it. I also have a close friend who owns a Yamaha and has had nothing but headaches with it. with the carb system. The factory told him he has to drain the gas form the carbs if it's going to sit for more than a couple weeks because the gas eats away seals in the carbs. No Joke! I guess all manufacturers have a lemon or two. Harley's got thier bad rep when AMF owned 'em, and quality control was non-exsistant. After AMF pulled out, Harley adopted a TQM approach and got the employees deeply involved in the process, and the companies' success has been phenominal.

As far as using a Harley engine in a light aircraft - Well I don't know a whole helluva lot about light aircraft. I would imagine the engine to use would be the counterbalanced 88B engine, as the others vibrate like hell and it seems to me would shake the plane to pieces.

Easy Does It

There is a big gaping vacuum in aviation engines below 100 horse power......

I dunno. Rotax (4 strokes) fall into the top end of that category. Jabiru does as well. My personal favorite, the Rotec radial ('cause it sounds "right") also falls into the top end of that category.

You also have the option of using variations of the Continental or Lycoming 65-90 hp aircraft (or GPU)engines that have been around since the late 30's......without some of the limitations placed on you by FAR's that regulate their use in certificated airframes.

When you're talking about aircraft engines, keep in mind that they spend all of their life running continuously at anywhere from 75-90% of their rated horsepower. Most automotive and motorcycle engines (especially Harleys?) never see continuous operation at that power range for any length of time.

It's just a thought.

I love my Sporty... V engines have got to be some of the best sounding around... but I'm not sure that a V-twin is the smoothest(!) running engine in the world so I probably wouldn't want one fitted to an airframe - too many rivets and nuts& bolts to shake loose - just when you dont want them too.

My wife says thet the Sportser shakes better than any washing machine .... not too sure what she means:$

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome