AnotherGoodin

Inspiring story

I Finally got to meet Chris and Nancy Caldwell this past week... We went out and had a great time!! They are such sweet people, ..... Ok so here is the story:

A group of us get up to go eat breakfast at IHOP. We get there and it takes about an hour for them to seat us (no one in line and resurant almost empty). We get seated in the back beside this old couple that had only been served there drinks and they had been in there way before we got seated. So anyways we ran into all these inconviences and were talking about how frusturated we were, and Chris just sat there quietly.
He overheard the older woman saying how they couldn't afford this hot cup of coffee but she really wished she could have one. All of a sudden Chris turns around to the older couple and says to the lady "mam' i would love to buy you a cup of coffee".....She got this huge smile on her face and said "Honey, If you want to buy me a cup of coffee then I would be glad to take it.".. He told her that all that he wanted was to see her smile. So she got up and gave Chris a hug. (I was almost in tears)
So we all eat breakfast and as soon as that couple got up to go pay Chris caught our waiters attention and told her to not let them pay because he was going to buy there breakfast. Oh my gosh.. this is when I think we all broke down.. When the older lady tried to hand them her card they told her that someone else already took care of it, and immedatley she start BALLING her eyes out.. and walks as fast as she can with her caine over to him and hugs him. She just kept crying and we were trying to just hold it in and keep on eating but I started crying and everyone was tearing up....
Chris just held her hand and said "Please don't cry, I did it just to see you smile"

I couldn't give all the details of how it really was... I am not a good writer but I gave you the basics and I think you can imagine what things were like.

Some of the "daily" things in our lives that takes us just seconds takes Chris a whole lot longer... we all complain about things that are so minor and to see someone who struggles with smaller things and doesn't complain and just keeps on helping others is just amazing to me.... He has really gave me a new view on life for starting this new year today...

Thank you Chris and God Bless
If life gives you lemons then make lemonade, if not then go thirsty and keep on truckin'

Thanks for sharing it... It really is cool.. and if you don't know Chris or the sorty about chris then you should read some of the past post about his accident and how he ended up in a wheelchair.... He was an awesome FF and had a very unfortunate mistake happen to him. As he told me , "Life changes and things change all the time you just have to deal with it and get over it."
If life gives you lemons then make lemonade, if not then go thirsty and keep on truckin'

Yea I've heard of people doing that. But, I'd rather it not be at McDonalds...Just Kidding. I get whatcha mean... :) The quesiton is.. do you think the cashier at Mcdonalds really wouldn't still charge them once you already drove away?

That is an awesome story. Chris and Nancy are an inspiration on how to handle life when it gets tough. They are both always so positive and full of smiles when I see them around the dz. They also make Ouragan freefly suits which are really hot looking!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

What a great story! Makes you believe that there are still some kind people in the world and not everyone is out for themselves. I am the sort who wants to always believe in the good in everyone, but was recently told that I needed to wake up and live in the real world. That basically people are self-centered assholes and it's every person for themselves.

No matter how many times I've been crapped on in my personal life, I refuse to accept that.

Nina
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

What a great story!

Yes, it's truly beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it, AnotherGoodin. It has warmed my heart, and I will be sharing this story with others. Please let Chris know that many of us have been touched by him today. :)

I am the sort who wants to always believe in the good in everyone, but was recently told that I needed to wake up and live in the real world.

Nina, I am like you because I also believe that most people are basically good. I am not going to change my beliefs because of other people's cynicism. Please don't change yours. :)

that was an awesome story. thank you so much for sharing it. it really great to know there's people out there who still do stuff like that. i try my best everyday to do something for others. it's a great feeling. though i haven't been around skydiving long, i just want to say that i love everyone that posts here and the people that i've been skydiving with. thanks everyone

What was the old lady doing in an IHOP if she couldn't afford a cup of coffee?

Have you priced a cup of coffee:S Maybe the lady was on a budget and going out to breakfast was a big treat for them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Have you priced a cup of coffee Maybe the lady was on a budget and going out to breakfast was a big treat for them.

Maybe so, that still doesn't justify the sappy outpouring of human emotion.

He bought her breakfast, and people act like he donated a kidney.

Lighten up people!!

So... when was the last time you bought a random old lady breakfast? I'm willing to bet you never have - same goes for lots of people here.

I doubt this post was to point out how fantastic that single act was, but more to point out that a random act of kindness was done and everyone should try it.

You attempts to undermine the actual premise of the post won't take away from that.

Go be a sour old guy in another thread - this one is about kindness.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Have you priced a cup of coffee Maybe the lady was on a budget and going out to breakfast was a big treat for them.

Maybe so, that still doesn't justify the sappy outpouring of human emotion.

Lighten up people!!

It's called kindness, something you don't see much of anymore. That little old couple who is probably on a fixed Social Security income knows what it's like to scrimp and save. What he did was give them a week where maybe they didn't have to pinch every penny and renewed their faith in the human race.

It's comments like yours that makes me loose my faith in the human race.:S
Fly it like you stole it!

Go be a sour old guy in another thread - this one is about kindness.

That would be just about any thread he post in:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

.. do you think the cashier at Mcdonalds really wouldn't still charge them once you already drove away?

Good question, never thought of that. Man ... you
just blew away my faith! Maybe we should tell the cashier
that the car behind us is paying for OUR meal ... then
drive away FAST!

What was the old lady doing in an IHOP if she couldn't afford a cup of coffee? It doesn't add up.

It sounds like a scam.

Why was everyone crying?

----------------------------------------

KBONE-Who knows what she was doing at IHOP that was none of his concern... The fact is that she was on a machine that was helping her breathe and her husband was carrying it around and they were still "going out" together. Chris had even made a comment on how good it was to see a couple together still at that age and how they could still sit there and go out and eat breakfast together and laugh and have a good time. They probably have a ton of medical bills. Maybe when your all alone when your really old you will understand and I hope someone does a random act of kindness like this just so you can think back and remember what you were saying now. Either that or you could have a freak accident like Chris did and end up in a wheel chair and have the rest of your life to think about the "little things." That you are so ungrateful for now.... I sware I hope this never happens to you I am just simply showing a point.
EVERYONE ELSE- Thanks for reading this story, I was hoping it wouldn't be a thread that just got skipped down the line. I am not going to see Chris and Nancy again for a while because I was just down there visiting and happend to meet them..but I hope that this gets back to them. :)

I'm tired of your trolling. From the forum rules, "Personal attacks on another user are a great way to earn some time off, as is posting inflammatory material specifically to provoke a negative response from someone (aka trolling). If you are unclear about what a 'troll' is, a description can be found here."

If you do it again, you'll be banned.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon