waterboy3412

PD Sabre2 vs PD Pulse

I do not have extensive experience on Sabres 2 or Pulses. I *do* on the Silhouette, and PD designed it for more or less exactly this audience - keeping a novice with aspirations happy. The Pulse was designed as the step between the Silhouette and the Stiletto, I believe. The Sabre2 has a much longer recovery arc and is in my opinion not suitable for novices. PD says it is, up to a wingload of 0.9. Try selling that to our OP. [:/]

At jump 20 or so I started jumping a Sabre2 170 sqft @ WL 1.0. I don't have a lot of experience (180 jumps or so in total, all in the last year), but I've jumped a Spectre, a Silhouette, a Sabre and a P.d.F. Merit as well, all 170 sqft. At 1.0 the Sabre2 is IMO very friendly. It has a lot of flare, it's not agressive and it's fun to fly. I've landed it down wind (about 3-4 m/s) and cross wind and I've gone through turbulence at landing. The Sabre2 performed well during all my jumps. The Merit was the most fun to fly though, but it was harder to land. It was old and worn and didn't have a lot of flare. Most of my jumps where made on the Merit and the Sabre2.

All I can say about jumping a Sabre2 @ WL 1.0 as a novice jumper is that it's fun and, in my opinion, relatively safe. The recovery arc has not really been an issue for me. I've never done a low front riser turn or a too low toggle turn. If I had done so, I doubt that it would have injured me more if I've had a silhouette. Too low is too low. IMHO, it's about the wing loading (and shape, but the sabre2 is not really that different).

Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience, but the sabre2 at that wing loading felt safe to me.

I have a pulse 170. I have put 180 jumps on it.
Its opens nice and flies great. Its probably the best canopy for a newbie at 1:1.
The downfall to this canopy is the flare. It sucks compared to the sabre2.

I would say get a pulse as your first sport canopy then a sabre2 when you are ready to downsize.