waterboy3412

PD Sabre2 vs PD Pulse

Okay, so as you can probably see I am new to the sport of skydiving..I only have 27 jumps. I am looking into getting some gear and I was looking at a PD sabre2 or a pulse. Im just looking for something that I'll be able to use for a few seasons. Somewhere down the line...a few seasons down the line...I would like to start high performance landings. But for now I want something that is forgiving but can still do some quick turning and and good flare. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, as you can probably guess I'm still learning the ropes of the sport. The smallest canopy that I've jumped was a safire2 169. I was thinking about getting a 150sq ft so I would be able to use it for a few seasons without getting bored...Like i said I obviously don't do any high performance landings but once I have the experience i would like to. Any suggestions on if that is a safe downsize? Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike

Whether it's safe to downsize depends on a lot of factors, most notably being your exit weight; at any rate, that question is better asked of your instructors at your dropzone, not random folks on the internet.

I just bought a Pulse - I'm a big fan after demoing it. I wouldn't have made the choice to buy it without a demo, and fortunately, PD has a very easy demo program - you can get one sent to you, or try to catch the PD tour reps at a boogie. Larger gear stores often have a variety of canopies available, too. I also demoed the Sabre2 at a boogie and it didn't wow me, though obviously it's a very popular canopy and lots of people really like it. Opinions are like assholes, though - everyone's got one and the only one that really matters is yours since you're the one buying it (can you tell I'm strongly encouraging you to demo both canopies, and maybe others in that performance category like the Safire2, Pilot, Fusion).

One thing you might want to consider - if this is a canopy you're only going to use for a couple of seasons - you will most likely only be able to find a Pulse new; while Sabre 2s are much more readily available on the used market since they've been on the market much longer.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/demo_sport.asp
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I love my Sabre2 (170), I got it @ jump 28... snapped myself on jump 29, since then closing in on 100 standups in a row.

Definitely give it a demo.

Landings are awesome, flare is very strong and does great in no wind situations. Easily the best attribute of the canopy.

Openings are very soft, albiet a bit random ;)

I just think its a kicks ass design, I load mine at 1.0, no problem keeping it very docile/safe when needed but is still offering a lot on canopy control days.

Did I mention it's fun in no wind? :)

The Pulse is way more forgiving but fun to fly, the Sabre2 is more of a HP canopy, it'll dive longer after a turn and some have opening issues. If you want to swoop later on, get a Sabre2, if you want to have a forgiving canopy that flies really flat (gets you back from loooong spots), opens worry-free, levels out real quick after a turn (excellent wingsuit canopy, this) and is still fun to fly, a Pulse would be my recommendation. But of course you should demo both.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The smallest canopy that I've jumped was a safire2 169. I was thinking about getting a 150sq ft so I would be able to use it for a few seasons without getting bored...

Getting bored under canopy has little to do with it's size but a great deal with how good a pilot you are. ;)
Instead of downsizing, spend some time to truly learn how to fly (up high) rather than just 'getting down in one piece'.
Trust me - it's fun :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Well, I have been advised by my instructor @50 jumps not to go for Sabre2, but rather new PD Pulse or Elektra. Mostly for security reasons, Sabre is imho not very forgiving canopy for fresh AFF graduate :)
To be exact, in my case it was change from Navigator 200 (1.2) to Pulse 170 (1.4).

What I really like about Pulse is low pack volume. If you use it with Optimum Reserve, you'll get very nice compact rig even with 170/190 main :ph34r:

I don't get the scare tactics behind the Sabre2?

Jumping at sea level, with the appropiate size, loaded at 1.0 or less... the design has great results with newer jumpers at our DZ.

I don't know what people deem "forgiving", but at that loading it is docile and the landings are great.

Isn't there a US dropzone that puts AFF students on Sabre2's? Why do people try so hard to steer people away from such a nice design :(

27 jumps? Get a Silhouette.

Why not a Sabre2 or a Pulse, care to motivate? Just curious, is all.

I do not have extensive experience on Sabres 2 or Pulses. I *do* on the Silhouette, and PD designed it for more or less exactly this audience - keeping a novice with aspirations happy. The Pulse was designed as the step between the Silhouette and the Stiletto, I believe. The Sabre2 has a much longer recovery arc and is in my opinion not suitable for novices. PD says it is, up to a wingload of 0.9. Try selling that to our OP. [:/]

I jumped a Silhouette 170 @ 1.3 for almost 500 jumps. I learned a lot under it. The canopy has that much potential.

I jumped a 240 @ 0.9 just two weeks ago (OK, it was marked "Navigator". they're identical). It was amazing how much fun it was to fly, and it delivered me to the ground, slightly downwind, just where and how I wanted.

If you can fly, you can fly this canopy. You don't need a Pulse. Or a 1.4 wingload.

Waterboy: I just jumped a Silhouette yesterday. I really didn't like it at all.

Not going to argue you. Tastes vary. (You may have been spoilt by being exposed to overly high wingloadings too early.)
Johan.
I am. I think.

Okay, so as you can probably see I am new to the sport of skydiving..I only have 27 jumps. I am looking into getting some gear and I was looking at a PD sabre2 or a pulse. Im just looking for something that I'll be able to use for a few seasons ..

This is the big one of course, why I cannot recommend a Pulse or a Sabre2 at 28 jumps (no, I didn't vote).

Having it in the closet while recovering from an accident means you can't actually use it.

Might happen, might not. But getting that Sabre2 is not stacking the odds in your favour.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Instead of going for a canopy small enough to last a few seasons you should get something used that is the right size for you now and then sell it and buy something else used when you are ready to downsize. I have been through 3 major canopy sizes so far and aside from the cost that is a lot of waiting if you go for a custom canopy.

That would rule out the Pulse because there is no used market.

That's just plain dumb. First of course is the 1.4 WL at less than 400 jumps, and 2nd is that the Pulse isn´t designed to be loaded very high so you´re basically overloading the Pulse with 1.4 and it will not flare as well at a Pulse up to 1.2 or so which is the highest it is made for :S Dumb dumb dumb.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

27 jumps? Get a Silhouette. In an appropriate size, ie talk to your instructors.

Second that, Silhouette is a great beginner canopy, I have many jumps on a Silhouette.:)

Edited to add:

1.4:1?

:o

At 28 jumps?

Why?

I don't have that now at 268.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Warning: noob commentary.

My wife is currently demoing a Pulse 120. The Pulse is more elliptical but trimmed flatter IIRC. It turns very quickly and recovers very quickly. The riser pressure is a lot higher. I've seen her recover out of a fairly serious spiral in no time at all. She says the landings are good with a some headwind but not so good with no wind (she had been jumping a Sabre 2 150). She feels like it wouldn't be good for HP landings (she's not really into them anyway) because of the riser pressure and the recovery arc. You're on low jump numbers, I'd suggest getting a second hand canopy first off because you *may* find yourself wanting something different sooner rather than later. As you get experience, your ideas on what you want to be flying may also change.

When I bought my gear (I had been borrowing 190s up till this), I got a second hand rig w/ a Sabre 2 170 which I never really liked. After about 50 jumps I bought a Safire 2 169 (2nd hand but with 18 jumps on it) & sold the Sabre 2 (I prefer the way the Safire 2 flies & opens). I put another ~50 jumps on that & then downsized (with the support of people who have seen me fly) to the Sabre 2 150. I'm expecting to be flying this canopy (or same sized canopy) for at least 250 jumps. That's my progression so far, some people go a lot slower because that's what's right for them. My point is that spending a bunch of cash up front on new gear may not be a great path to take. My wife did this & does regret it somewhat.

back story: my wife has 280 jumps or so & was loading the Sabre 2 at < .9, I'm now flying the Sabre 2 loaded at 1.23. In order to get a reasonable loading she tried out a Safire 2 129 but was still just under 1:1. The 120 works for her and she likes flying it but is probably going to demo a Sabre 2 120 as well.