kelel01

What computer should I buy?

You should get a desktop if you're not going to use a laptop's mobility.

There's a significant price premium for a laptop and the performance is compromised.

You can certainly do wireless connectivity from a desktop, I'd advise running a wire though (security and uncompromised bandwidth, but for most internet some wireless options are fine). Most PC motherboards come network capable these days but they typically don't support wireless without a PCI add in card. You can buy these in your local retail outlet or try to get one from the manufacturer when you order the system.

Dell offer some of the best prices and well built complete systems. I just purchased a desktop system for my sister. Their service has been variable over the years but I think it's back to being acceptable.

Question for anyone:

Any opinions on a laptop Toshiba A75-S229

Any opinion on DVD write option and whats the deal with the 2.5 hr battery? Will only be using around the hood but 2.5hr battery and 9 lbs seems like a lot.

Would it be better to go with just a basic notebook and upgrade the desktop?

R.I.P.

Sometimes - but then being right all the time has it's downside as well.

On to the thread -

Just picked up a Mother board /Fan/processor combo and added 512 of ram for just under 200 bucks. The drives I have are fine, and the CD rw/burner is only 2 years old.
Still have a nice sound card and a decent video card (redeon 4500 I think) - no It's not the MOST up to date - but it will be more power than anyone needs for word processing and internet chatting.

Specs as best as I can remember:
P4 - 2.4g - 800mhz FSb / AGP, 4 PCi, 2 178pin RAM slots - Fan, CPU, Processor, pc2700 DDR 400mzh (twin)**

**I'm not sure what the twin part is - but the local geek guy said it would help seat the data faster without spending a butt load on a newer tech of ram and still give the performance of DDR.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I've got a Toshiba and Sony lappy. The Sony is a desktop replacement for me and is in the 9.1 lbs range. P4 3.06 ghz mobile, soon to have 2 gb ram. It's mostly on my desk but would consider it too heavy to be actively mobile all the time. The Toshiba is a few pounds lighter P4 1.4 ghz mobile, 1 gb ram. For actively being mobile, this would probably be the one to go with for me.
Downsides:
Sony - Weight for the actively mobile user
Toshiba - Doesn't seem like there is quality built into the machine. When upgrading the memory, the memory door screw head sheared itself off.

Upsides:
Sony - Excellent desktop replacement, occassional mobile use.
Toshiba - Weight for mobile use.

My opinion - upgrade your desktop and if you want a lappy too for travel, get a slower, lighter machine and spend less money.
-----
~~~Michael

I love my Toshiba laptop. It's a Tecra M2. It's too slow for most new games (1.5 GHz), but plenty of fast for everything else. Size is great... can't remember the specs but I think it's under 5 lbs. Quality is very good. I really didn't like any of the Satellites I looked at (too big, too heavy, and cheap looking). The Tecras are meant for corporate use I guess, but you can buy em online straight from Toshiba. Battery life is very good... Firewire for video, IR port for the Neptune, SD port for digital cameras, S-video to hook up to a TV, built in 802.11g wireless, bluetooth, etc. Everything I wanted in a laptop. Also comes with Microsoft OneNote which is a kinda nice program for taking notes in meetings or whatever. I'd definitely recommend it as a second computer.... probably not powerful enough for a primary computer unless you don't play any games or do high end video editing (although it's as powerful as anything was just a few years ago).

I bring it to the DZ to show videos during weather holds, update Neptunes, etc. I sometimes use it for photoshop when I just NEED to mess with someone's face and I'm not at home.

Dave

Sometimes - but then being right all the time has it's downside as well.

On to the thread -

Just picked up a Mother board /Fan/processor combo and added 512 of ram for just under 200 bucks. The drives I have are fine, and the CD rw/burner is only 2 years old.
Still have a nice sound card and a decent video card (redeon 4500 I think) - no It's not the MOST up to date - but it will be more power than anyone needs for word processing and internet chatting.

Specs as best as I can remember:
P4 - 2.4g - 800mhz FSb / AGP, 4 PCi, 2 178pin RAM slots - Fan, CPU, Processor, pc2700 DDR 400mzh (twin)**

**I'm not sure what the twin part is - but the local geek guy said it would help seat the data faster without spending a butt load on a newer tech of ram and still give the performance of DDR.

You cannot buy the components cheaper than you can a complete system from Dell, especially when you factor in the cost of legit software (even OEM packages). I've priced it many times. There's also the downside that when it comes to assembly and installing your OS you're on your own. If the PC doesn't post you'd better have some spare parts around to start trouble shooting. It's fun to build a PC (for me) and I've done often it but it's the last thing I'd recommend for anyone asking a question like this.

Then there's the issue of ongoing support (OK if you built it I suppose but not if you got a helpful friend to build it for you).

but it's the last thing I'd recommend for anyone asking a question like this.

Where is your sense of adventure?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

You cannot buy the components cheaper than you can a complete system from Dell, especially when you factor in the cost of legit software (even OEM packages). I've priced it many times. There's also the downside that when it comes to assembly and installing your OS you're on your own. If the PC doesn't post you'd better have some spare parts around to start trouble shooting. It's fun to build a PC (for me) and I've done often it but it's the last thing I'd recommend for anyone asking a question like this.

Then there's the issue of ongoing support (OK if you built it I suppose but not if you got a helpful friend to build it for you).

Agreed - you can often buy a desktop cheaper than you can build one, but then you're constrained by that manufacturers options.

A few months back I built a new machine that const me a total of $1100 bucks including shipping.

Athlon 64 3200+
Gig-o-RAM
DVD burner
160GB SATA HD
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB video
Everything else is onboard.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I can't even decide between laptop and desktop. HELP! I have wireless internet at my apartment, and I just need something basic. I also don't have a desk, which is why I'm torn between a regular and a lappie. Thoughts? Are Dell computers good, or is there some other PC I should look at?

Thanks!

Kelly

I have been using Dells for years. In fact, I'm using one right now and I have another at home. Here's what I have decided after 20 years of using PC's.

I'm getting rid of them once and for all to be free of the tyranny of using shitty, bug riddled MS software, espcially Outlook. My next computer is going to be a G4 Imac.

Toshiba - Doesn't seem like there is quality built into the machine. When upgrading the memory, the memory door screw head sheared itself off.

Toshiba tends to use cheaper keyboards in their laptops as well. With daily use the springs in the keys give out quick.

Don't you ever get tired of being so helpful?

And I doubt he would have said that if he has ever been to a computer forum. Most people on there are little kids giving out advice on what to do with your computer. And the website/email support from the big names are terrible - I'm still waiting for a response to any of the three emails I sent Dell two weeks ago.

The advice given in this thread for her has been spot on and probably more helpful than she would have found on most other sites.

const me a total of $1100 bucks including shipping

How much did the Windows licence cost? And the bundled software? ;)

Its cheaper to buy a Dell with its built in software then it is to go buy Windows, the rest of the software and a Hard drive to install it on usually.

I've had Dell's, Compaq's a Toshiba and an IBM thinkpad from work. All have had issues, some larger then others. Currently I feel that my Dell with Docking station was the best of the bunch. Take it for its worth since my coworkers is on the fritz about once every 4 months.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

const me a total of $1100 bucks including shipping

How much did the Windows licence cost? And the bundled software? ;)

Its cheaper to buy a Dell with its built in software then it is to go buy Windows, the rest of the software and a Hard drive to install it on usually.

Well, I *DID* say that getting one of the name brands can end up being cheaper....

But, to answer the question... I believe my copy of XP Pro cost me $85. ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm still using the software that came with the original computer. There is no upgrade needed - all the patches are available and alraedy installed - the drivers are alll stored on the original HD - all I have to do is clean (format) a HD insta;ll it as a slave - copy the HD onto that drive - format the original drive - reinstall the OS and drivers and Boom - Brand new computer at 4 times the ram and 5 times the speed

actually, when you take everything into consideration, the mac is very comparable to the PC. The thing with macs is that because their software is more efficient, you don't need as much ram and processor speed. Also, macs come with so much software, and include the monitor and all that. Plus, they're a lot nicer to have on your desk...no cables strewn everywhere.

Watch the legality of that. A lot of that is either pirated, not for retail sale (big one) or something else. Even to VAR's Microsoft charges more then $10 per copy. There was a huge issue about a year ago or so where all the serial numbers that were on XP copies at a computershow were actualyl all pirated numbers and it prevented people from updateing their XP.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com