tunaplanet

National Champion

Curious as to who the casual football fan thinks will win the title.

Well, it won't be Auburn. I don't think they made their case strongly enough, beating VT 16-13 in the Sugar Bowl. If VT had gotten their 80 yard TD pass a minute earlier, they might have had enough time to go for one more score.

Now the Orange Bowl... Heisman trophy winner vs Heisman trophy winner, and Heisman trophy running back finalist vs Heisman trophy running back finalist... I think they got the right match-up this time whether Auburn or Utah likes it or not.

Seriously, the BCS is still broken. It does not take into account that there could be 3 or 4 unbeatens going into the bowls, and it still does not take into account that there could be no unbeatens going into the bowls like last year, when it probably should have been USC vs LSU for the national championship because OU lost 35 - 7 in their conference championship game. And remember the year Colorado beat the hell out of Nebraska in the same conference title game, but the BCS put Nebraska ahead of Oregon State (?) for the national championship game? Come on!!

There probably needs to be a 4 team playoff, but nobody is going to be able to agree on it. It'll take an act of Congress to force the bowls and the BCS into it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

None of the above. Auburn is by and far the national champion in my opinion.

Suck it, :ph34r:. :P I predict that my alma mater will triumph over USC. B|

*chanting the boomer sooner fight song*
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

There probably needs to be a 4 team playoff, but nobody is going to be able to agree on it. It'll take an act of Congress to force the bowls and the BCS into it.

An 8-team playoff would be just as easy to do. Start it just before Christmas, narrow the field from 4 to 2 over New Year's, play the championship game in the second week of January. The top 4 programs would get an extra home game and 3 of the 4 current majors would see action each year (either a semi-final or the championship game). Personally, I'd add two more bowls to the mix, maybe the Holiday and one other (Cotton?), so that each of the playoff venues gets a major payday every other year. They could host non-playoff bowls in their off-years.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I wonder who the first people will be to start whining/crying about how Auburn deserves the NC.

Auburn doesn't for all you casual football fans out there. They had their chance to show America what they had and blew it. They almost let a mediocre team come back at them. Definitly not what needed to happen to impress the BCS. They needed to soundly put them away and didn't. They choked.

Forty-two

There are always those who will think something is "broken" no matter what.

How could anyone not think the system is broken?:(
The season will end with 3 undefeated teams. What else can you possibly do?
Sorry guys, we won all our games but the computer says we came in third.
What a load of crap.[:/]
Such a shame to see that is not about competition anymore. Its just about bringing in the bucks with BCS Bowl Games.

Auburn had a chance to prove to the nation that they were deserving. They choked. There's always next year.

Check back in on earthplanet every so often. I'm not sure how you define winning as chocking, but the rose colored glasses probably look nice on you.;)

I'm not sure how you define winning as chocking

Let me try and explain it so the casual football fan can understand.

When you need an impressive victory to argue that you're deserving of a NC and can only manage to squeek out a victory against a very mediocre Va Tech team...that's choking. Auburn should have dominated Va Tech. They didn't. Now it has cost them a shot at the NC.

They choked. Good luck next year.

Forty-two

I'm not sure how you define winning as chocking

Let me try and explain it so the casual football fan can understand.

When you need an impressive victory to argue that you're deserving of a NC and can only manage to squeek out a victory against a very mediocre Va Tech team...that's choking. Auburn should have dominated Va Tech. They didn't. Now it has cost them a shot at the NC.

If you have to make a lame attempt to explain how winning all your games is choking, the system is broken. Plain and simple.

You should show more respect and be more realistic. It improves credibility.

If you play weak unranked teams and beat them by double digits, it doesn't mean as much as if you play a worthy ranked opponent and win by a smaller margin. Sure, you look "real pretty" but so the f$%k what?!!!

* Auburn is the only team ever to go 12-0 in the SEC and not play for the National Championship.

* Auburn went undefeated, 13-0.

* Auburn won the SEC Championship.

* Auburn won the Sugar Bowl against a highly ranked, strong, and worthy team.

* Auburn gave up fewer points per game than any team in the country.

* Auburn is the only one to have played four games against opponents with who have finished the season with at least nine wins.

* Auburn won those games by an average of 13 points.

* At the time Auburn beat them, all four were ranked within the top 15.

* Three were in the top 10.

* Neither USC or OK can claim that.

Do the math. Auburn won it on the field.

And they get to watch a NC be crowned in tonight's game.

You cna pull up meaningless statistics all you want. In the end Auburn blew it. Face it, they had their destiny in their own hands and choked. They failed to soundly put away a mediocre Va Tech team.

Now we will watch the real NC be decided tonight thanks to Auburn's screw up last night. No controversy anyomore.

Forty-two

They failed to soundly put away a mediocre Va Tech team.

Although, calling Virginia Tech "mediocre" doesn't sound too "expert" to me. But hey, what do statistics and demonstrated ability on the field really mean anyway. .....................you're right Tuna. B|

Damn! After reading this thread, I figured there was no way USC could win, so I turned my back on my alma mater and put a yard down on OU and took 35 and 1/2 points. Whoddafigured?

Now that's some math.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.