anyone ever have a tooth "crowned"/any dentists out there?

this is something my dad got done a while ago - and now my new dentist (first visit today) said i might need it done! I seem too young for this sort of thing:S

Anyway, im wondering about the process. It would be on a rear molar, which has fractured. Anyone know what the process is for something like this?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I've got a crown due to poor dentistry through the military. They gave me a filling and damn near hollowed out my entire tooth....

Anyways, they grind down your tooth to a point. Literally, it looks like a little nub. Then they take a mold of that, and send off to have a new tooth sent in that looks natural. You'll wear a temp for a few weeks, and once you get the new one in, it will be cemented to your nub, thus giving you a new tooth.

Mine is a real pain in the ass, as every time I eat, I get food stuck next to it. I think it's the material....

a NUB?! Oh man this doesn't sound in the least bit fun. Is yours on a molar? How on earth can you grind a huge molar down to a small point? Mine will - possibly - be my molar that needs to be crowned, depending on what my dentist recommends.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I had a molar crowned in my early 20's. I was hit in the jaw with a baseball and it cracked my molar. They will grind it down as was said above and put a temp on until the permanant is made and can be put in. You'll have novacaine, so the most irritating part will be the noise and the time you're stuck in the chair. One thing to note: Be thankful it's a molar and in the back of your mouth because if you have your teeth bleached the crown will remain the same color.

Chris

I have a crown on my upper molar. It wasn't too bad getting it. Are you getting a gold or porcelain one? I went for the gold (you can't see it when I talk or anything) because my dentist said porcelain tends to crack eventually on molars and I'd probably have to come back in and have it replaced somewhere down the road.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yup - they grind it down to a point. As M said, when you have them bleached, they don't change color, so I ordered mine two shades lighter. Works out fine.

If your dentist uses gas, you'll be fine. I slept through 70% of my crown. I got a porcelain one, and I've had it for ~5 yrs..

well he said it could be gold or porcelain, but he said he wanted me to come back next week, after he had taken a look at the xrays i think, and then we would see if it could just have another filling, or crown it.
Gold sounds better in the long term, but it's a lower molar so it might be obvious when i talk. I will consult with him depending on his prognosis when i go back, but thanks for the comments all.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I have 6 crowns all required root cannal... In fact got a root cannal on monday. My rear left molar.... not a fun one.

If it is just a crown, it is no biggie.... if you need the root cannal... hahaha... have fun;)

No.. with novacain it isn't too bad.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

If you don't have to get a root canal, I don't think you'll have to use gas. I just had novacaine...but we all know women are more pain tolerant than men anyway. ;)

Glad to hear the people with porcelain crowns haven't had to get theirs replaced. I guess my kids can always pawn my gold crown when I die and get some extra money. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

They drill down to the top of the canal opening and then remove the nerve inside the tooth... Then they use small files to clean out any nerve parts that may have broken off when the nerve was pulled out... Then the dentist will use a tap to thread the tooth... Then a post will be screwed in to the hole and then the cap/crown is cemented to that... If the tooth has three roots then you get three nerves remove.... Have Fun....:S

Killer

Had crown with root canal and without. They both suck but could have been worse. I hate tooth pain but I really didn't feel that much, even after, with the pain killers and antibiotics. Definately no fun though:(
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Something tells me this thread isn't encouraging you very much!

Really, having a crown fitted is no big deal - just a relatively long procedure - and if it's done well it should last many years and will be much stronger than a tooth that's nearly all filling. As for the appearance, a gold crown will likely be noticeable in your lower jaw - so if that bothers you go for a porcelain one. I have porcelain crowns on rear molars that have been in place for 15 years.

Don't worry about it!

ok thanks - and yes, not the most encouraging thing, but hey it needs to be done so....

PS how does one prevent root canal work needing doing? Anyone know what the cause of root canal damage, or is it simply decay that has reached the root??

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I'm probably looking at getting crowns all the way around in the next several months.

I've had problems with my teeth ever since I was a kid. I've had 10 or 12 fillings, and one of my lower molars basically had to be "rebuilt" with filling material after it broke in half.

There's a dentist in Skopje that does *VERY* good work, and he's *VERY* affordable. Just need to get the time away to do it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

All my molars are crowns. If you are a teeth grinder, get gold. It's tougher than the porcelain.

The porcelain looks better, though. I have both.

They'll mold both your top and bottom teeth, and use the mold from the opposing tooth to sculp the crown.

ok thanks - and yes, not the most encouraging thing, but hey it needs to be done so....

PS how does one prevent root canal work needing doing? Anyone know what the cause of root canal damage, or is it simply decay that has reached the root??

Typically a root cannal is needed when the tooth has died, and become infected, or when a break or chip has exposed the nerve or root.
If you need one, chances are you will know it, because it is quite painfull.

Of my 6 root cannals, the one I had monday was the worst. My jaw still hurts!!! It took almost 2hrs of my dentist filing ... he couldn't get all of the nerve because the cannal spiraled down into the root. He finally managed to get it all, but not before I was practically in tears. THe pain was getting bad again, so he put the needle directly into the canal and injected novacain onto the nerve.... Son OF A BITCH that hurt... But with in seconds the pain was gone.

THe day after was the worst. I would recommend just taking pain meds every 4 hours for 24hrs to prevent the pain from ever kicking in. After a day it will be fine!!!!

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I am a dental assistant and we do crowns all the time.. I make the temp. crowns. It is about an hour long process and not painful because you are numb. Heres the steps:

1. Build up tooth (if needed)
2.Take an impression (a copy of tooth to use for later)
3. Cuts margins into tooth (makes tooth smaller so room for a crown to fit)
4. Adds cord to push up gums
5. Takes a another impression to send to Lab that makes the real crown.
6. Take out cord.
7. Make a temporary using 1st impression
8. Use temporary cement and put the temporary crown on.
9. leave for 2 weeks
10. Deliver crown with permanent cement.

Hopes this helps..hehe
If life gives you lemons then make lemonade, if not then go thirsty and keep on truckin'

---gold transfers heat and cold more than porcelin
---gums recede so eventually roots of crowned tooth get exposed, so cavities at the gum line are in your future.
I have 2 gold crowns covering right and left upper rear molars, and porcelin bridges on each side (upper) so goes ...gold crown, crown for bridge, fake tooth of bridge -and crown again- on each side.
Beauty!- I can chew!! and not that painful getting done.............
way better than false teeth!!
B|B|

p.s. I have dental plan that covers 50% for crowns and bridges....otherwise could not afford this work!

SMiles;)

I have a total of 7 crowns. Because I had to have a bridge made that involved 3 crowns I had 3 done in a day.....it was a long morning. I took a valium so I was relaxed and he just kept me frozen. Those crowns are now 20+ years old and are fine.

I had one root canal done a few years ago in a lower front tooth. Wasn't bad and sure beat the pain from hot and cold food.

It's not something to get too worked up about....it's not that bad.

If you aren't a flosser now, get started on making it part of your daily routine to preserve that expensive crown work and prevent you from needing more.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey