storm1977

Sat images of Sri Lanka

Sorry if a repost.

Here are 2 images of Sri Lanka.
One is what the beach there looks like normally, and the other is how far the ocean receeded just before the Tidal Wave impact. Note the receeding one is zoomed out, so you can not directly compare the two. The water actually pulls out 1500 feet from the coast.

Normal
http://www.globexplorer.com/disasterimages/srilanka_kalutara_beforeflood_jan1_2004_dg.jpg

Right Before
http://www.globexplorer.com/disasterimages/srilanka_kalutara_beach_dec26_2004_dg.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

wow. that's pretty dramatic. I wonder, if you saw the water pull back 600 feet (that's two football fields), and turned around and started running up the street inland, would you have time to save yourself?

The water would continue to pull back another 900 feet, & then there'd be a pause, and then the first wave would have to travel 1500 feet forward to reach the normal waterline.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

wow. that's pretty dramatic. I wonder, if you saw the water pull back 600 feet (that's two football fields), and turned around and started running up the street inland, would you have time to save yourself?

The water would continue to pull back another 900 feet, & then there'd be a pause, and then the first wave would have to travel 1500 feet forward to reach the normal waterline.

You wouldn't have time to get to higher ground, but you might have time to get into a hotel and climb the stairs to the 3rd or fourth floor if there was a hotel nearby....

The nearest high ground in these pictures was about a mile inland.... atleast a 5 minute run!!!!

There are accounts of people running into hotels and ontop of houses roofs though.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

On one of the History/Discovery channel shows, there was video of that. A guy was standing on a foot bridge near Hilo bay. He stood there and filmed the water retreating. Then, he filmed its return until it was too late. The video is great, but he died.

Can't find the video on the web.

Some of the people who survived the Hilo disaster talked about climbing up trees. Their basic disaster theory was to find something that floats.

However, that doesn't always work if the wave is 100 ft high. clicky Scroll down to the pics of the Coast Guard station.

Although the quake was initially assigned a Richter magnitude of 7.2, in later years, the energy it released was reevaluated and a Moment Magnitude (Mw) of 8.6 was assigned. to this event.

This earthquake generated one of the most destructive Pacific-wide tsunamis of the 20th century. Near the generating area, at Unimak Island, huge tsunami waves reached 35.0 m (more than 100 feet) above sea level and destroyed completely the newly built, U.S. Coast Guard's Scotch Cap lighthouse. All 5 men of its crew were killed. The lighthouse was a steel-reinforced concrete structure and its base was at about 30 meters above sea level.

Sorry if a repost.

There was a similar post, but it was given a meaningless thread title, so many people probably didn't discover it.

Thanks for providing a subject title which properly reflects the subject matter of the message.

So we have repost police and subject line police as well?

The receeding tidal wave is actually after the wave hit according to other captions elsewhere on the site. On second viewing it does seem like there's a lot of water in the street in the receeding photo and it is after the main wave.

Modify the URL to go up a level and you'll see other links, in the Banda Aceh before and after pair, the destruction is shocking.

http://www.globexplorer.com/disasterimages/

Obviously, the answer is no.

That's an amazing image though.

I think the answer may be yes, this can be a massive and prolonged effect. People have had time to wander onto the ocean floor to pick up stranded fish or play, as in the case of a bus load of Japanese school kids during another event, naturally they do not fare well when the water suddenly returns as it tends to do.

that's what I'm wondering: how much time would you have if you hauled ass as soon as you saw the water going out unusually far?
would it even be worth trying? Probably, it wouldn't help if you were on Banda Aceh in Indonesia.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I grew up in Kona for 20 years. Hilo tsunami's were terrible things as most of them are. You would come across people that has family experience it. Old timers will still talk about it. Pretty heart wrenching stuff. They talked about people who went toward the bay as it was sucking dry to pick up fish that was left grounded. I'm not sure what goes thru peoples heads. I'm sure if they had never experienced it they would stand there in shock as what was going on. In kona everytime there was an earthquake somewhere on the pacific rim they would sound the tidal wave sirens and evacuate everyone to higher ground. The whole time I grew up there it was false alarms. I was a painter at an autobody shop. More than once the cops would be pounding on the door of the booth telling me to get the hell out. I was young and stupid at the time. An incident like this just shows me how stupid it was.