carve

UPT Skyhook Mod

I received my Skyhook mod kit from UPT a couple of months ago and was going to have it fitted with my next reserve re-pack in August.
I just have a couple of questions for someone knowledgeable out there.
1. Why has UPT made this mod compulsory for tandem and student rigs but not for sport rigs?
2. Are there many sport rigs with this mod or are vector owners generally taking a wait and see approach to this problem?

Which mod? Are you talking about the split RSL mod, or the staging loop mod or both?

My rigger and I talked about this at my last repack in April and he also spoke to the folks at UPT about it. I'll probably get both installed at my next repack after the summer, so to answer your second question, I'm not in a huge rush, but I am planning to have the mods done.

The mod was made because of a tandem fatality. It's has been discussed here before and details about the mod is on the UPT website:

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=160

Every new rig from UPT comes with the new mod. Older rigs needs to modified at the jumpers expense. I've not done it yet, since the incident is rare, cost and I'm lazy.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

My guess is it's mandatory due to additional liability with tandems and risk of going low with students.

I had the kit installed on my vector at last repack. figured the risk is low, but might as well eliminate as much as possible. At Para-concepts/skydive chicago, they charge $40 to install it. Make sure you have a Master Rigger do it, as it requires a modification to the rig.

1. Why has UPT made this mod compulsory for tandem and student rigs but not for sport rigs?

There is the liability issue of the unsuspecting public versus skydivers making their own choice.

The other reason is large, heavy reserves, in large, more flexible containers, leaving the reserve less well pocketed in place as they would otherwise be.

Therefore more of a chance of the freebag tumbling out during a badly timed 2-out, or (for the staging loop only) even a tumbling reserve opening.

Hello Carve. I suggest you read my article "Staircase experiment" published on this forum. The mod for Skyhook was recommended only for Sport rigs like yours. Then you have the option to do the mod or not.
The reason was that something happened with a tandem where an unintentional cut away was attributed to the bagged reserve falling after the AAD has fired. What happens exactely is not well known, just speculation. It is the reason why I performed that STAIRCASE EXPERIMENT with a VECTOR III 348 of a friend. If you read my experiment and its results, you will see there is no cause for panic at all.
I have the mod kit for my 2008 Vector III 348 but I didn't already install it. I am not the only rigger and Vector III owner to think that way. The big fuzz came from people (EUROPE) who are developing their own M.A.R.D. (Main Activated Reserve Deployment) system.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I heard that the mod was only recommended, not mandatory/compulsory. Has this changed at all? I will not be modifying my Sigma until it is a mandatory mod.

I heard that the mod was only recommended, not mandatory/compulsory. Has this changed at all? I will not be modifying my Sigma until it is a mandatory mod.

Mandatory?
Hah!
No one is pressuring you to install a Skyhook - or any other type of RSL.

Personally, I think the latest update is a good idea. It brings Vector in line with what we knew about reserve deployment sequencing in the 1970s.
IOW I never trusted the whole friction concept from the beginning.

I had the mod installed on my V-3 this spring. In retrospect, it probably would have been enought to just change out the RSL and not do the reserve flap mod, but I believe in following the manufacuter's recommendations.
I would definitely install the new RSL cord, a much better design to deal with the possibility of an unintended cutaway.
Even 5 seconds of "i wish I had..." followed by a splat is 5 seconds too much.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

The staging loop is not a new idea and it is, just as it was on Steve Stuart's Sweet Hogs..... a good idea in my opinion.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

My first UPT rig (Relative Workshop) was a Wonderhog and was equiped with a staging loop. It was in 1977.
Muff brothers # 2187. Eh You As.h.le;)

Yes and at the time SSK and Realtive Workshop def. were top names. Now Steve doesn't make rigs anymore and Cliff runs SSK but they still are taking care of our Cypres' :) I don't know who came up with it but I do know that it was on the oldest sweet hog I have ever opened up. I bet both sides will claim to have thought it up. :P
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

<< Wasn't it called a hesitator loop back then? >>

I don't remember the name for that loop but what I know is that I packed my round reserve (Strong lopo lite with diaper) many times in that rig.

OTOH SSK wasn't existing in the 70's since Cypres came up in early 90's.

I see, what you mean is SSE (Or Steve Snyder Enterprise and/or PARAFLITE). They of course were the tops players (RELATIVE WORKSHOP AND PARAFLITE/SSE) at the time. I have had the chance to visit both of them in the 70's at DeLand and Pennsauken Pennsylvania. I personaly met and talked with Steve Snyder's, a great man always innovating. Unfortunately after having bought an old SABRE fighter airplane and flew it, he crashed it and die.
I have had several Paraflite canopies: Strato Cloud, Crusair, Cirrus and Nimbus plus my first square reserve, a 5 cell SWIFT 170.

[:/]

(SSK had actually been around well before they started selling German electronic gadgets. Their Stewart Sweethog rigs were popular back in the days of 2 pin reserves. First ones were built in '77 according to Poynters. They had their own cartoon pig in the manuals to compete with Bill Booth's cartoon pig!)

<< Wasn't it called a hesitator loop back then? >>

I don't remember the name for that loop but what I know is that I packed my round reserve (Strong lopo lite with diaper) many times in that rig.

Actually I believe SSK did start in the 70's they started off making rigs.... now the only focus on Cypres but that is not how it began.

(SSK had actually been around well before they started selling German electronic gadgets. Their Stewart Sweethog rigs were popular back in the days of 2 pin reserves. First ones were built in '77 according to Poynters. They had their own cartoon pig in the manuals to compete with Bill Booth's cartoon pig!)

Yup... NOT SSE.... SSK Steve Stewart who I am happy to say is getting in the air again! :)