Electric toothbrush - yay or nay?

Ok so i'm inspired to post this after my afternoon trip to the dentist. There, like the hallowed Exaclibur on their front desk, was the toothbrush i have been salivating over for the last 6 months. Toothbrushes normally don't excite me that much, but this one looks great (see below)

To date i have only ever used manual toothbrushes - the wife uses a fairly standard electric and many people say they are WAY better than regular ones. I haven't been bothered about upgrading until i saw this...the Sonicare Elite range.

http://www.sonicare.com/products/elite/7500.asp

It's DAMN expensive though (i think it's about £100 here in the UK), but man oh MAN it looks like the daddy of all toothbrushes.

So - should i go electric, and if so, is it worth the upgrade to "The Daddy", or should i just pick something up for £20 and be happy without all the bells and whistles.

Also, has anyone gone electric and not been happy, and then switched back to manual?

Thanks.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I have that tooth brush and I LOVE it!!!!

I went on a trip for new years and brought a normal brush... hadn't used one in like 2yrs... It felt weird and didn't work as well. My teeth feel soooo clean after brushing with my sonicare.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

The sonicare is okay. I don't really use mine all that much anymore. What I have been using and the dental hygenist noticed a great improvement in my gum tissue is the Oral-B Cross/Action Vitalizer toothbrush. It has rubber tips surrounding the actual toothbrush so it massages the gums as you brush your teeth. I had slacked off the flossing but evidently this toothbrush works great.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I've got an Oral B and that is fine for me. :)Went in Februari last year to the US and didn't brush my teeth for an entire week :$ , just can't do that with a normal tootbrush.

Btw: it is great in the morning when you're net yet awake. You don't have to do anything except moving the thing every 5 seconds for half a cm :) No more effort! :)
Thijs

I never used to floss..... Then I had to get a "DEEP CLEANING" that sucked!!!!

I started flossing just a couple times a week, and my hygenist noticed. She asked if I had been flossing because I had almost no plaque and my gums looked great!!!

I would recommend flossing at least a couple times a week.
Or like hookkit said, get a brush that works the gums too.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

but man oh MAN it looks like the daddy of all toothbrushes.

It is...!

I have one...you'll LOVE it!

I had a 10 dollar Oral B too...no comparison,
it's not worth the 10 bucks...:(

I always THOUGHT it was as good,
or better than a Sonic..until I got a 7500.

The Sonic Care is worth the 90.00 I paid
just for the healthier gums it gave in 3 weeks
time...I avoided surgery! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I got the crest whitening spin brush because I wanted to try something cheap to see if I would like it. Well I'll never go back to regular brushes. Not sure if I'll upgrade to something more expensive since this one has been doing a great job, my teeth really feel cleaner.

Oh and ditto on the flossing, it makes a HUGE difference.
Fly it like you stole it!

Luckily my sister in-law is a dental assistant and got my wife and I Sonic-Care Elite's. So cost for us was none, but regardless I would have bought it. It's made my mouth feel better than it has in years. I would without a doubt recommendgetting it. It worth the investment!

My dental hygienist wanted me to come in 3 times a year before my Oral B. Now, I could probably go a year or more... oops, I have. :$ I've heard Sonicare is better from someone who has owned several of both.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY SONICARE ELITE!!!

I'm just considerate of the noise it generates and am sometimes lazy and don't want to brush for 2 minutes.:$

That, and it went off in my personal bag once on a flight and everyone thought I had a vibrator!:o

Note to self: dissemble before traveling!;)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Get it!

My dentists have always screamed at me that I needed to floss, etc., and I have always gotten a good 15 minutes or so of the dreaded scraper during each visit.

On my last visit, after having been using my Sonicare for the last year, the dentist only felt the need to scrape in two little places and commented that she could tell I was taking much better care of my teeth and gums. Nothing changed except that I was using the new toothbrush.
Killing threads since 2004.

I have the Sonicare Elite 7800 Professional (the box says "available only through dental offices). I did in fact buy it from my dentist, who claims she sells them at cost. I'm on my second one, actually. The first one was fine, but after a couple of years the battery wasn't charging right. This replacement, the 7800, has a better-designed head, more compact and maneuverable.

I LOVE it. I use it every brushing. The brushing action is far superior to a regular non-electric brush. When I travel, I put it in its case and take it. Supposedly, even without charging, a full charge is good for up to two weeks! (I haven't tested that.) On day trips, like overnight at Sebastian, I don't bother to pack it, and on those days, boy do I ever miss it!

I am pretty sure it cost me about $90-100. Money well spent. It's true that it can save your gums and teeth from needing surgery. Mine are in better shape than they've ever been.

Oh, and FLOSSING is essential! I'm a floss advocate now, after not flossing regularly for most of my life (and having the cavities to show for it!). It's true what they say, that you should only floss the teeth you want to keep. :P

My recommendation: splurge and get the Sonicare.

Blue skies,
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"