tunaplanet

Movie Flubs

List some of your favorite movie mistakes/flubs. I'm not talking about minor bullshit like the level of a glass of water rising and lowering in different shots or an actresses hair style being different from scene to scene. I'm looking for factual and historical mistakes as well as plot holes.

I'll go first. Not a major mistake but in 'Saving Private Ryan' when Tom Hanks is talking to Matt Damon you can see the Screaming Eagle insignia on Hanks. The Screaming Eagle is the insignia for the 101st Airborne. Hank's character was a Ranger.

Forty-two

Napoleon Dynamite

When Kip is talking to Napoleon on the phone the pile of shredded cheese for Kip's nachos grows about 4 inches when it cuts back to him.:P

But my lips hurt real bad

Chris

*In Jurrasic Park they say disneyland opens like 3 years after it really opened.

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

In Braveheart, it is implied that the son of Future Queen of England Isabelle de France (Sophie Marceau) was fathered by Wallace (Mel Gibson). Isabelle de France was 4 year old when Wallace was executed...:S

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Top Gun. Hundreds of mistakes in this movie. One I caught was at the last battle. When Iceman goes down you hear then call to scramble the rescue helicopter. SAR choppers are one of the first aircraft to be launched during any combat operation. That huey would have been airborn long before anyone was shot down.

And here's a mistake only a Navy pilot or deck crew would get/find funny. During the final battle when they are hooking Cruise up to the catapault you see a deck crew holding his left hand flat and placing two fingers sideways into it. That means you are plugging in an external power source. ROFLMAO you would never do that during launch.

Forty-two

The other thing with the sequence where Redline burns in is that he dives into tress from the shot taken from above, and yet he is laying dead center on the target in the next shot.

To the poster who said that the patch was wrong in Saving Private Ryan, I believe that back then, there was a ranger unit within the 101st, as well as other units, so just because he doesn't have the tab or scroll (which I can't remember if he does or not), doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong.

Mike

Titanic:

After the lights on the Titanic go out for the last time, but before the ship breaks in half,we get a close-up shot of people falling down the tilting poop deck. During this scene,you see a man run into a capstan(those big,heavy black things-they look a little bit like tables) on the way down. When this happens,you can see it bend where the man hits it. Apparantly,this is one of the foam ones used in the tilting-deck scene

Here is a scary one from the Hunt for Red October in that at the time this was a breach of national security. One of the advisors to the movie definitly said more than he should.

There's a scene where the LA Class sub is chasing the Typhoon Class sub. If you listen very carefully in one of the scenes you hear one of the voices in the background yell out gravity anomaly values in milligals. I can't stress how big of a national security breach this was. It was a highly classified secret that gravity measurements were used to navigate. Another mistake was that this technology was only on the Trident subs, not the LA Classes.

Forty-two

Actually the rangers had a blue diamond back then for a shoulder patch insignia and they were never part of another unit as they were created to be a stand alone force. look into Merril's Marauders and further back for the history.

CSAR helicopters will not launch until there is a need for them be it a medevac or an actual recovery mission. It is logistically demanding and unrealistic to think helicopters are going to fly around in the sky when missions can last days and there can be as many as several hundred individual missions going at once. There is a constant CSAR platform precence monitoring all the theatres, all the time in case something does go wrong, anywhere in the world, but rescue assets don't go up until they are needed or directed to by the JSRC for that AO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

At the end of the movie Tombstone Wyatt Earp gives Doc Holliday a book that he had written titled My Friend Doc Holliday. Totally fictictious and historically inaccurate. Wyatt never wrote such a book.It was only after Tombstone the movie was made that tourists came pouring in looking for that particular book so a local finally wrote one.

There were some problems with the OK Corral scene too like Doc Holliday firing a double barrel shotgun 3 times without reloading etc, but you said look for the factual things.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

but rescue assets don't go up until they are needed

Nah. Sorry to burst your bubble on that one. My first job in the Navy was a SAR swimmer. Most of what you said was false.

I will have to say you are 100% wrong as I am sitting here talking to the RCC rep and the JSRC and have actually done this for real just a few days ago. You remember that Blackwater plane that crashed a month ago? I was involved with that from ground level up to the JSRC level. There is more to it than jumping out of the bird and hauling meat out of the water.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

A "Plane Guard" helicopter launches before anything else from an aircraft carrier. But yeah, they are just flying in case anything goes wrong near the ship (within ~100 miles), not hundreds of miles away where the combat is.

The helicopter in my avatar pic will be taking over the Plane Guard and CSAR missions, among others, in the future, the MH-60S. And it'll do it safely if I do my job right. :P

Dave