mmacro

WBT-201 vs Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

First, does anyone know if the WBT-201 is Mac compatable?

Second, what's the general opinion on the following.

I am having to decide between buying a WBT-201...

or buying a Pro-Track and using my eTrex Vista HCx as a secondary source.

What would you do?

Depends what you're trying to do. I have a 201 and it's sick for tracking and wingsuiting.

There is software for Mac that can interface with the 201 btw.

I'm not sure about the eTrex but the wintec fits in my audible pocket in my helmet. The tracking and functionality of it is easy and accurate.

First, does anyone know if the WBT-201 is Mac compatable?

Second, what's the general opinion on the following.

I am having to decide between buying a WBT-201...

or buying a Pro-Track and using my eTrex Vista HCx as a secondary source.

What would you do?

So you already have an eTrex? If thats the case I'd say buy a Pro-track first and use the eTrex until you can buy a WBT-210. What Andrew/Spawnmaster said about the 201 is good advice, the 201 is an excellent data logger for skydiving and for the price.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Since you speak about GPS device use for skydiving maybe you would interested to know that the iPhone (3G and 3Gs) has a GPS. If you download for few $ (2.99 $) the application GPS MOTION X you will have all functions of a hand held GPS and better yet you can register your track, send it by email to 5 different people right away and view your track on Google Earth when opening the file on your computer. An option on Google Earth enable you to view your track as following it from a helicopter where you can adjust the angle and speed. And I garantee you that it is MAC compatible since this is what I use. Another application coupled with your iPhone GPS named SPEEDOCHECK allows you to see your speed on an analog or on 2" high digital display. Sport holders for iPhone are available at all electronic stores therefore you can mount it on your left arm when jumping. I guess you can get the same kind of features using an iPod touch.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

GPS Motion X is a good App for the iPhone. However, in my experiences, I have found that getting a good GPS lock in the aircraft with the iphone is hit and miss (as is with any GPS in an aircraft with no repeater) and the altitudes a skydiver finds themselves is out of cell tower range until around 10K feet +/-. YMMV when using Motion X in this manner.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING