davjohns

Factory Diver Helmet

I bought one on ebay. I am in Iraq, so I had it sent to my parents. My father said it has a sticker on it that reads "This helmet serves no protectivve purpose and is not intended to provide any protection from any head, brain, neck or facial injuries."

Really? Is that normal?

If this is really what they put on their helmets, I can see why people jump without a helmet.

Thanks for any information.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Skydiving helmets are rubbish for impact protection. This is their normal "YOU CANT SUE ME NOW" clause. A bit of fibreglass and foam is better than nothing however plus you can mount gadgets like audibles/cameras and not bash your head in the door or on a wobbly landing where you tumble. Plus with a full face you might save yourself getting a shoe in the mouth/nose.

Skydiving helmets are rubbishuntested and uncertified for impact protection. This is their normal "YOU CANT SUE ME NOW" clause. A bit of fibreglass and foam is better than nothing however plus you can mount gadgets like audibles/cameras and not bash your head in the door or on a wobbly landing where you tumble. Plus with a full face you might save yourself getting a shoe in the mouth/nose.

Fixed it for you.

It is a standard disclaimer. Skydiving helmets are a small enough market niche as it is. Doing all the design and testing to get certified for a certain level of impact protection would increase the cost even more. You'll find better impact protection in helmets designed for cycling, skateboarding, snowboarding and motorcycling, although some of those may not be well suited to skydiving. Beyond that, what exactly do you expect the helmet to protect you from on a skydive? I rely on my helmets for the following:

• protecting me from bumping my head in the plane or during exit from the plane.

• hold my audible altimeter

• hold my camera (camera helmet only)

• keep the wind out of my face (full-face only)

• If you're expecting a helmet to do more than that, you're kidding yourself.

Also, there's plenty of discussion on this already. Do a search and you'll find plenty more information along the same lines.

That is strictly for the lawyers.

Mine has cracks in the gel coat where it saved me from broken jaw and teeth *twice*.
    "There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

As others have said, that's a standard disclaimer you will find with all helmets to prevent a law suit if something goes wrong.

I use a Factory Diver and it is a great helmet that has protected me from being crushed into the back of the airplane, smashing into tunnel walls and countless kicks to the face. There is no question that it has saved me from some broken bones.
    Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

They protect you from small knocks & bumps but the reality is that most skydiving helmets are piss poor at offering significant impact protection. There's a range of protection between a cumbersome and impractical motorcycle helmet and a thin cloth pad that might be offered. The market seems to get or demand product towards the excessively thin end of the scale with few exceptions. Pro-tec is regularly cited as the better option for a reason, and that sticker is very deservedly on your new helmet.

Thanks everyone. I am in Baghdad; bought the helmet on ebay and; had it shipped to my dad. I was afraid that sticker might indicate it wasn't a real Factory Diver. I'll be fine now.

Dave

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

i jump a full face bell mountain bike helmet. it has 1 inch of high density foam protecting my head. some people laugh at me but i dont care.

specifics on your helmet? I am looking for a cheaper but impact resistant helmet. I've been looking at mainly snowboarding helmets at the moment. would love to see wot you wear.

cheers
    - Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

I was wearing a Factory Diver attempting a "tube" exit. I was sitting, my buddy was standing. When he hit the air stream, we got pulled to the rear and I slammed my head on the rear door frame. The impact left a good sized "crater" on the left side of helmet, about the size of a quarter. I was stable in the air, but only really came around at about 7000 feet. I'm sure that helmet saved my life.
    I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

its a bell balistic full face one. do a google search to find it. They also have open face ones that would be okay. the only issue i had with mine was that the wind was lifting the chin part up during flat work so i just put a strap through the chin guard and run the chin strap through it to keep it down. alot of base jumpers and wearing these.

its a bell balistic full face one. do a google search to find it. They also have open face ones that would be okay. the only issue i had with mine was that the wind was lifting the chin part up during flat work so i just put a strap through the chin guard and run the chin strap through it to keep it down. alot of base jumpers and wearing these.

I think many skydivers would be well served by a helmet like this with a lower profile chin, better seal and a suitable visor option.

I tried jumping a PG helmet and it didn't quite work out. This looks like a similar option, with similar issues.

I hang glide. Those helmets don't seal and the chin sticks out so that I wouldn't even try it in freefall.

I hang glide. Those helmets don't seal and the chin sticks out so that I wouldn't even try it in freefall.

Yup, those are the exact defects I listed, I did seal it with gaffers tape for the test, but it wasn't suitable in the end. Some jumpers, base jumpers and wingsuit fliers apparently use them, but it seems very similar to the bike helmet w.r.t. issues. It has one advantage, it doesn't need a sticker on it disavowing any claims of offering protection. It actually has an "aerosport" cert.