AggieDave

The Big Muskie

Anyone know anything about this huge shovel? I've just spent some time reading about it, talk about freak'n awsome! This thing is HUGE, dedicated in 1969 it weighs 13,500 TONS, with a boom of 310ft and a scoop capacity of 325 tons. Of course it only travels at 1/10mph when moving site to site, but still, talk about freak'n awsome.

You've got to see some pics of this thing:

Clicky

Here's a pic of the scoop

Here's a pic of the Big Muskie
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I hate to break it to you but it got cut up for scrap a few years ago.[:/]

A family, just west of here, that runs a construction business and collects equipment has the tie bar that was between the cables on the drag line just above the scoop. They had it on a trailer at a tractor pull a couple years ago. It was as long as the trailer, 45', and about 3' in diameter solid steel. Quite impressive, I wish I could have seen it when it was all together.

DAMN I thought you were talkin bout fishin...

I thought he was talking about something fishy too;)

To me the funniest part is the website he linked to is stripmine.org. You all know he was searching for strippers or something and got distracted by a big machine.:D:D:D:D:P

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

That model is amazing. I know I wouldn't have the follow through to make it. I'd get something close to it and say "meh, good enough, now lets see how much dirt it can move..." Kinda like the model airplanes I'd make as a kid...I would put all the cockpit stuff together, I'd just paint the canopy black.:P I wanted to get the model done so I could play with it.;):P

Then have it fight in a war and blow it up with a firecracker...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."