SpeedRacer

What's a good old movie?

What is a good old movie? By old movie I mean one from before, say, mid-sixties.

(edited, because so many people seem confused for some strange reason:
I meant any movie made BEFORE the mid-sixties. That would include movies made in the early sixties, but ALSO any movie made prior to 1960.
As in: movies from the teens, '20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's. So even silent Buster Keaton & Charlie Chaplin movies would qualify.)

I feel in the mood to rent an old movie tonight.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Zero, Zero, Zero is a great movie.

The Guns of Navaron (sp?)
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen

There's a LOT of great older movies...

Then there's all the Rat Pack movies.

Have you ever seen the original Ocean's 11? That's a fun movie, as well as 4 for Texas...all hell, I just really like those old Rat Pack movies, that and the old John Wayne movies as well.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Funny you should ask, as my wife just picked up a DVD copy of "Suddenly Last Summer", with young Elizabeth Taylor and Katherine Hepburn. Hepburn wants to have Taylor committed to the loony bin because Taylor keeps telling gruesome stories about the death of Hepburn's son Sebastian. Oh yeah, it's a real corker.

All the old Hammer horror flicks, with Peter Cushing and Cristopher Lee and those guys are always a good kick in the butt. Also anything with James Stewart or Clint Eastwood is usually worth the effort.

And don't forget Kubrick's "Dr. Stangelove" !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Some Like It Hot.

That scene where they're watching Marilyn Monroe's butt as she sashays down the train platform... some of the finest filmmaking ever.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Can't go wrong with Cool Hand Luke or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. If you want a smart political satire, go with Dr. Strangelove. Those are the best 60's films I can think of off the top of my head. I know there are others, but I'll leave the others for somebody else to contribute.

EDIT: I misread your original question. If you want pre-mid sixties, go with Casablanca. You can't go wrong with Casablanca. If Casablanca isn't your style, you can go with Citizen Kane. You could always do a David Lean film festival; watch Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Dr. Zhivago. The last two are from the mid-sixties, but they're great films. Another good film from the mid-sixties that I forgot to mention is The Graduate. This is kind of fun. I think I could go on naming great old movies all day.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Can't go wrong with Cool Hand Luke

Oh hell yeah!

That's a badass movie, one of my all time favorites!

Enough that I've now got a good handful of versions of Plastic Jesus on my computer and I even recorded a version that I like of myself playing and singing.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Can't go wrong with Cool Hand Luke

Oh hell yeah!

That's a badass movie, one of my all time favorites!

If you look at my bio on the nationals website, I have it listed as my favorite movie.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

A lot of the old war movies shot during and immediately after WWII are brilliant as pretty much everyone in the film including the extras had military training and were just doing what they did but on film. They also feature stacks of original equipment that was just sat there at the time.

Try Ice Cold in Alex or The Longest Day (two of my faves).

bogart- treasure of sierra madre, maltese falcon
cagney- public enemy
fonda - grapes of wrath
marx brothers - duck soup
chaplin - gold rush, city lights, modern times
hitchcock - suspicion, notorious, north by northwest
john wayne= stagecoach

there's always some oldie but goodie on TCM classic movie channel!

marc

These are my favorites:

The Apartment (1960) - Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine
Some Like it Hot (1959) - Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis
The Lifeboat (1944) - Tallulah Bankhead
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

That's a badass movie, one of my all time favorites

"what we have here is a failure to comunicate"...... so many people have no idea this famous quote comes from that movie!!!!!!! watched it last week wheni was stuck in maine....

Have a look at the version of "Arsenic and old lace" with Cary Grant.

It's so much funnier than the remake.

One of my all time favourite movies.

CHAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGE!:D
OR
"The Swimmer" with Burt Lancaster. Weird movie for the timeB|
RED LIGHTS & OFF LANDINGS ARE JUST MY THANG
http://www.redlightrob.co.uk