AggieDave

Chicks and the martial arts

This past Tuesday Morgan joined me for Tae Kwon Do, she just sat in and watched the class and our training, but after that she decided she wanted to join me in Tae Kwon Do. So tonight, after talking with my instructor, we went and bought her a nice new middle weight Gi and I got to spend about 90 minutes teaching her the basics for her first class on Tuesday. The basic blocks and kicks, about how to show respect during class and what the different Korean commands were. I'm so proud of her.

Even though I've taken a bit over 4 years of Tae Kwon Do and out rank her by a good number of belts, I have a feeling she'll do to TKD with what she did to skydiving and become a complete badass.

She's got just a hair under 200 jumps now and she's actually a better RW flier then I am...of course she did do it the "right" way, finishing her A license, then went and spent a little time in the tunnel, then took SDU from Mark Futch (one of the best SDU coaches in Texas). Just ask Mary (FlyAngel2) how good of a flier Morgan is.:)
So now I give Morgan a year before she can kick my ass sparing in TKD.:)

Whats great, though, is that now we can practice and workout at home as well as at the dojo and I have a feeling that our overall fitness will improve due to it (not to mention that its going to be fun...its already been fun).

Did I mention that she looks really hot wearing her Gi? ;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

(we only had 2 women in our dojo...ever)

Isn't that sad? I know when I was studying, it was weird being the only female of my rank. What was really funny was when the young whipper snappers got whipped by this snapper. They'd get all mad, claim they weren't "on their game", and then Master Lim would get in their face:

Oh, so bad guys won't attack you when you're not on "your game?" Huh? They know? What is your excuse then? Huh? Come and fight me. I'm always on "my game."...

I'd sit there and try really hard not to grin...LOL, but that was hard sometimes. Especially when a 17 year old, who told me I was old...I took him down twice, and then put him onto a wall with a back spinning heel/roundhouse combo (great combo if you can get the speed behind it... they don't expect the roundhouse stepping off a back spinning heel...and the momentum, if done right, can really make your presence known).

Glad to hear you and Morgan are getting back into martial arts. It's a good thing. One word of caution though...never ever spar when you two have had arguments. That is not the time to spar.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

One word of caution though...never ever spar when you two have had arguments. That is not the time to spar.

That is COMPLETE BS, Dave & Morgan!! Joe and I have the best wrestling (pronounced 'rass-ling' for you southerners :D) when we're pissed! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Kidding, he hasn't put me in a head-lock in months...:S:P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I've always been the only female of my rank in whatever school I've been training at. When I first started, there were no females under the rank of black belt in my school (and only one female black belt). As I progressed, a few more girls started, but by that point I outranked them. Then, I switched to a school where I was the only female. I'd moved and it was close to my house. The school I train at now has a couple of girls in the kids class, one adult female white belt, me, and a female black belt who doesn't show up very often.

Probably because I'd been training since I was ten years old, I'd never really thought about whether I was training with males or females. When the ref says "fight", they're just another body in the ring.

TKD is hands down the weakest style of martial arts. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Putting down something that someone just enjoys doing for the benefit of himself and with someone he cares about, is what is weak. I could see if the post was, "TKD is the toughest form of martial arts, hands down!" But this post was far from that.

Congrats, Aggie, on having TKD to share with her! That is really cool! It is always great when you can share something like that with someone you care about. Awesome!

TKD is a martial art, period. If you want something that will give you the power to beat someone up from the very first year, i would choose boxing or kickboxing, more a sport than a martial art.

Have fun doing TKD Aggiedave, i practice it too and i am currently trying to convince my girlfriend to join me, you are one step ahead. ;)

Oh, and I think you should post a picture. Just for reference, of course!

:P

She'd kill me...so you're just gonna have to take my word.;)

That and she's a bit self concious about her Gi and the things she's starting to learn, since it is completely different from anything she's done before.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I started TKD when I was 13, along with my brother and both my parents. Of course, I'm the only one who's stuck with it, but it's all good.
It's an awesome thing for a family to share, be it a couple or a whole family. Good for you and Morgan, Dave!

Addie

I really miss taking it. Just don't have time these days. It's all I can do to get the kids to class on time. Anyway, I took short stints of martial arts training growing up. No real dedication. I wish I had because I really enjoy it. My most memorable and rewarding martial arts experience was when I was deployed to Kosovo in 2002. My team was collocated with the Greek contingent and we worked with a Greek Special Forces unit there. There was a guy there serving who happened to be their Greek Grand Champion. He taught us for free while we were there. He taught Hellenic Military Bujutsu and Aiki Jutsu (much more violent predecessor to Aikido). I've never had anyone take me to the mat faster than this guy. We'd always leave the gym battered and bruised but we learned a lot. I miss taking from him. He was one mean bad ass MF. In reference to the topic of this thread, I don't know of any girl that could take this guy down.

In reference to the topic of this thread, I don't know of any girl that could take this guy down.

I somehow have a feeling that there aren't any men that could easily take this guy down either. :P

I don't do martial arts, but I have a feeling it's like a lot of other sports including skydiving and rockclimbing. While we as women in general are not as strong as men, we make up for it in technique and flexibility. So while hooknswoop is way stronger than me, when we were climbing hard core I was just as good if not better then him on certain climbs because my balance and technique was better. So something crazy over hung he did really well on, while something thin and balancy I did better on.
Fly it like you stole it!

That's wicked! I wish i'd started young.

Me too! I'm doing BJJ and Muay Thai...wish I'd started 40 years ago. So good for fitness, flexibility, self-confidence and fun!

I have both my sons (5 & 7 yrs old) in karate at the school that I go to. The kids classes are excellent as they combine karate, some Muay Thai stuff, BJJ for ground fighting and street proofing.

They emphasize:

Education - all students have to bring in their report cards and do not advance unless they are doing well or showing efforts to improve.

Respect - the school phones all parents to see if the kids are behaving at home and doing things like making their bed and picking up toys.

Martial Arts are for Self-defense - any aggressiveness or fights are reported to the head of the school, Sensei Dwight, who has very serious talks with the student. He has no qualms about kicking a student out of class who is bullying/aggressive and does not change his ways...but he completely backs up any child who has defended himself in a situation that required it.

If any of you are looking for a school for your kids, take the time to look around.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey