degeneration

Wings Vision container closing flap query

Got a new Wings Vision in the latter half of last year and all has been good with it. I had it made to fit a pilot 150. Right from the get go when closing the container the closing flaps overlap the bit that I tuck the main flap into. This has meant that it has been a really tight squeeze with the main flap. It all still works ok, but having seen other people's standard Wings recently I've seen that their closing flaps come in nice and neatly underneath this tuck tab bit, rather than overlapping it.

I've attached an image to show what I mean. When closed properly the main flap would ideally be where I've put the yellow lines on the image.

Is this normal for the Wings Vision?

I'm not that concerned at the moment, but as I got this rig made for me with the idea that it will last me a long long time, if/when I downsize to a smaller canopy, as there will be less volume in the main, I'd imagine that the overlapping will be more pronounced then?

Am I getting concerned over nothing here?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Your container is probably made to fit a mazx of a Aerodyne pilot 160 or PD170 in it, so it has room to move. Seeing you bought a pilot, you had to have a size larger than you would have had with a PD canopy
The reaosn here is that PD ZP packs smaller than aerodyne. So if you purchased a container made for a 150 PD canopy, it would not fit a 150 pilot in it, meaning you had to get a container a size larger.
So it is just packed nice and tight nothing to be concerned over.

There is nothing to be concerned about with your rig.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

My concern was just that the left and right closing flaps were obstructing the main closing flap's tuck in bit, but if all is ok then that puts my mind at ease!

Cheers!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

That is exactly what happened to my wings when i downsized.
Its all good bro, it does not interfere, you put the tucktab in and it sits their firm.

if you put a pilot 160 in it, you would not notice it.

If you have any concerns about a wings product, Send Scarlett an email at wings. Her and Anne do a great job at instant replies and are very helpful.

Kris, I have sent you an email regarding a different matter. I would like to discuss the idea with you if you could let me know what you think via email

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I recently got a micron that would look just like that and was concerned that it was made incorrectly for the size that I had ordered. Stopped in and saw the nice people in Deland and they explained that I had the closing loop to tight and that was what was causing the left flap to be pulled in to tight and interfereing with the main pin cover flap. With the micron the first three flap grommets line up on top of each other and the fourth flap is offset to the left just a bit and allows for adjustment in canopy size.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Set aside the way it looks for a moment and lets talk functionality/safety.

Unless I've been away too long...or it was done to make for a clearer picture..you need to add some slack to the bridle above the pin. That looks like a perfect opportunity for a pilot chute in tow.

I recently got a micron that would look just like that and was concerned that it was made incorrectly for the size that I had ordered. Stopped in and saw the nice people in Deland and they explained that I had the closing loop to tight and that was what was causing the left flap to be pulled in to tight and interfereing with the main pin cover flap. With the micron the first three flap grommets line up on top of each other and the fourth flap is offset to the left just a bit and allows for adjustment in canopy size.

Tried lengthening the closing loop and it did stop the main flap overlapping, but it did not feel tight enough on the pin. Think I'd prefer having the little overlapping and being secure in my mind that the pin wasn't going to come loose!!
The grommets on the Wings sound the same. The first 3 are pretty much on top of each other and the fourth is off to the left a bit.

your loop looks pretty long, could you post a picture without the bridle obstructing the view ?

The first of the two pics is the closing loop showing the current length - it's been shortened by about 6 inches since I got it!!

The 2nd pic was with the bridle as out the way as I could get it without taking the pin out!

The pin is nice and tight with the loop the current length, but I do think i would be able to shorten it another 1/2 inch to an inch.

Set aside the way it looks for a moment and lets talk functionality/safety.

Unless I've been away too long...or it was done to make for a clearer picture..you need to add some slack to the bridle above the pin. That looks like a perfect opportunity for a pilot chute in tow.

In the original pic all the excess bridle was tucked away to minimise image obstruction.

Tried lengthening the closing loop and it did stop the main flap overlapping, but it did not feel tight enough on the pin. Think I'd prefer having the little overlapping and being secure in my mind that the pin wasn't going to come loose!!
The grommets on the Wings sound the same. The first 3 are pretty much on top of each other and the fourth is off to the left a bit.

your loop looks pretty long, could you post a picture without the bridle obstructing the view ?

The first of the two pics is the closing loop showing the current length - it's been shortened by about 6 inches since I got it!!

The 2nd pic was with the bridle as out the way as I could get it without taking the pin out!

The pin is nice and tight with the loop the current length, but I do think i would be able to shorten it another 1/2 inch to an inch.

Two things...

(1) Your closing loop doesn't necessarily seem too long. Most manufacturers don't design their main containers to have the grommets meet up exactly on top of one another.

(2) You should consider changing the orientation of your closing pin. Imagine your flap is closed and you brush the left side of that pin cover against the door or wall or something while you are exiting the aircraft. It's a strong possibility that your pin will get pushed in a bit and not be as securely placed through your closing loop. Wings containers are particularly bad about not having much protection over the main pin (width-wise) and it leaves the pin and bridle somewhat exposed. I always orient my pin so that it points upward so that it cannot be dislodged by brushing my main pin cover from one of the sides. And putting the pin facing up still orients it in a natural position for when you throw out the pilot chute.

You shouldn't worry too much about downsizing in your container though. Enough of the slack in the closing loop will be taken up by the first two flaps and most likely won't cause an issue for you in the future.

Cheers,
Travis

Two things...

(1) Your closing loop doesn't necessarily seem too long. Most manufacturers don't design their main containers to have the grommets meet up exactly on top of one another.

(2) You should consider changing the orientation of your closing pin. Imagine your flap is closed and you brush the left side of that pin cover against the door or wall or something while you are exiting the aircraft. It's a strong possibility that your pin will get pushed in a bit and not be as securely placed through your closing loop. Wings containers are particularly bad about not having much protection over the main pin (width-wise) and it leaves the pin and bridle somewhat exposed. I always orient my pin so that it points upward so that it cannot be dislodged by brushing my main pin cover from one of the sides. And putting the pin facing up still orients it in a natural position for when you throw out the pilot chute.

You shouldn't worry too much about downsizing in your container though. Enough of the slack in the closing loop will be taken up by the first two flaps and most likely won't cause an issue for you in the future.

I believe its closer to half and half... However I'm mostly certain that Wings is designed to line up.

Two things...

I believe its closer to half and half... However I'm mostly certain that Wings is designed to line up.

Take a look at the photos the original poster provided. If those grommets were to line up, the pocket for the main pin protector would be nearly impossible to tuck into because the two side flaps would be covering so much of it up. So that tells me one of two things: (1) either the grommets ARE supposed to be line up and this is a poorly designed container, or (2) that the grommets are not designed to line up.

Cheers,
Travis

After searching through the owners manual, even though it doesn't specifically address the issue. I'd have to agree with your 2nd option. Looking at the packing photos in the manual look very similar to the one OP posted.

OTOH my Wings container has the grommets line up nicely, but it is not a Vision and is 5 years old