thrillstalker

Gear budget???

i am new to the sport and i'm curious about how much it is going to cost for gear. i start my aff jumps next month, but i need to plan ahead as much as possible so i can save the money to get my own gear. any help would be nice.

thanks
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

How long is a piece of string buddy. My first rig i paid $1k US for. It had low jumps on it and had a falcon f111 canopy with talon container and cypres. Sure it wasn't the hottest gear at the dz but i was rapt to be jumping my own gear that was safe and fun to fly. The canopy was big and docile but i didnt care as i was having the time of my life. I wasnt keen on paying $40 per jump just to hire gear which i reakon is such a waste of money. If your loaded a new rig will set u back about $6k.
A few people gave me crap about the f111 falcon but they forget how years ago it was the hottest canopy around and millions of jumps were made safely on canopies like it.
I recommend you get a zp canopy like a sabre or similar but if the budgets tight a low jump f111 is still very jumpable. hope this helps. cheers

Talk with your DZ as many will have gear that can be a good starter set or they will know someone who does...

As for money expect to spend between 2-3 thousand for everything you need. Many starter rigs can run ~$1500 but remember that you need a few more items like helmet, goggles, altimeter, and suit.

I am buying my last few bits of gear I need this weekend. In total for everything(main, reserve, container, aad, alti, jumpsuit, helmet, goggles, cypress maintenance and reserve repack) I will have spent 4500. Really nice gear though. Check with your DZO, thats how I found my rig.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

i am new to the sport and i'm curious about how much it is going to cost for gear. i start my aff jumps next month, but i need to plan ahead as much as possible so i can save the money to get my own gear. any help would be nice.

thanks

$1000-$7000.

At $1000, people wll make fun of your old gear and used Pro-tec helmet.

At $7000, all your colors will match, you may wait six months for delivery, and you're going to loose a lot when you sell to downsize.

At $3000, your used gear and new jumpsuit may actually be nice.

At $1000, people wll make fun of your old gear and used Pro-tec helmet.

At $7000, all your colors will match, you may wait six months for delivery, and you're going to loose a lot when you sell to downsize.

At $3000, your used gear and new jumpsuit may actually be nice.

So true! Don't worry about what others think of your rig though. If it's safe for what you are doing and fits you, who cares. Use that extra money to get more jumps and gain the needed experience before you buy new.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Here's how my first gear budget breaks down:

$100 - Aviator helmet from Square1 via ebay sale
$90 - Used Altimaster Galaxy altimeter
$60 - To have Alti-2 refurbish said altimeter (Just fucking buy a new one.)
$15 - Sorz clear goggles
$125 - New freefly suit from SQ1 (plus $20 for sci-fi patches! B|)
$20 - Ops gloves from army-navy store

Total Accessories: $410.00

Rig:
$250 - Talon container (already updated Service Bulletins, from 1990)
$140 - New BOC, velcro replacement, inspection of container+reserve
$350 - Super Raven 3 - 249 sq. ft.
$450 - PD230 9-cell with 28 jumps
(not using an AAD right now.)

Total for Rig: $1130.00

Total: $1540.00

Getting my rigger's ticket in time to pack my own reserve: Priceless.

T.I.N.S.

thanks for all the help. its nice to have a realistic view of the money i'm looking to spend.

Realistic long term?

ALL OF IT!!!

And then some.;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi thrill,

I recently sold a rig for a friend. A Javelin with 1200 jumps but in very serviceable condition. A Triathalon with 1200 jumps & new lines. A 7-cell Swift with two jumps on it.

The asking price was $1200 & it went for $1000.

The new owner is very satisfied with the rig.

JerryBaumchen

Just bought my set up, everything but the cypress for $1250.00 and that's with shipping included :D. all the gear has roughly 300 jumps. it's an older model but it came with a ZP Triathalon and the rig is freefly friendlyish, (may have to do a mod).

I just bought this after months, (and I say months literally), of searching the DZ.com classifieds. Don't make a sacrifice to your budget and spend way more than you wanted, just be patient and eventually something just right will come your way. Plus, the more time that goes by = more time to save money to get a nicer rig!!!

Good luck!

Good for you dude! But we're not seeing all the facts.

I also bought my 1st set of gear for $1000 CAD (cypress not included). all the riggers said it was airworthy, and it was as I'm still here. But with gear like that, there's always a price.

Trust me, get something that'll sit right in your mind. This shit is expensive. You might hunt and hunt for months and eventually get something, but just remember the principal that free comes with a dick in your ass.

Reliability = $$$, ask yourself, what is your life worth?

Reliability = $$$,

Hog wash. Well maintained gear is as about as safe as it was brand new. You're getting the same TSO whether you spend $400 on your used Javelin container or $2000 on a new one. A PD reserve which has sat in a cool dry closet for 15 years is as good as a new one but may be 1/2 or 1/3 the price.

ask yourself, what is your life worth?

Ask your self, how much do you want to spend looking good on the ground?

I paid a total of $700 for my classic accuracy container and reserve. It's fine.

Good for you dude! But we're not seeing all the facts.

I also bought my 1st set of gear for $1000 CAD (cypress not included). all the riggers said it was airworthy, and it was as I'm still here. But with gear like that, there's always a price.

Trust me, get something that'll sit right in your mind. This shit is expensive. You might hunt and hunt for months and eventually get something, but just remember the principal that free comes with a dick in your ass.

Reliability = $$$, ask yourself, what is your life worth?

Whats the price? That I don't have the newest and coolest looking rig on the DZ? yes it's a little old and may have somewhat of a washed out look to it, however it works, it gets my ass to the ground safely and I have fun... for intro gear that I'm just going to beat the shit out of anyways since I'm still learning, I think what I paid is just right.

Reliability = $$$ yes. I just bought something that is both old and reliable. knock off a few $$ for the old;)