glgflyer

Spot cleaning my container

I recently bought a used Javelin container. Everything is black except for the top flap that covers the closing pin. It is light green and blue. I want to clean this flap as it is showing some soiling. The rest of the container looks great. My question is can I safely clean it using woolite and water and a brush with the rig packed since it is only the top flap or do I need to take the canopies out to do this? Thanks

NO you cannot use water on it with it packed! I don't care how careful you are you will get water into the reserve. Even if you think you didn't you won't know!

Especially if your using soap you'd never get it rinse off without using enough water to leak in.

People will say you can get away with it. And you might. But is damage to your reserve worth living with a soiled flap until the next repack? Not to me.

Besides, as soon as you clean it you'll roll in and get it dirty again.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

This is the rigger in me talking, not the noob skydiver:

A stiff nylon brush, like the kind you'd use on your bathtub, is what we use first at my home DZ. If the spot is dry, this will eliminate almost everything except discoloration.

Check with your local rigger. Congrats on the Jav!
T.I.N.S.