bigway

Customers who order gear and dont pay

BTW-
So far, everything everyone in this thread, I would have to say you have all hit the nail on the head. You are all correct in everything said.

Its just this situation was not a normal gear sale. It was a newbie jumper who posted 20 times a day on a website, came to me asking for some help on finding a rig suitable for him with only one leg and a heavy guy who needed something different. I am a trusting person and this is where i personally messed up. if it was a usual sale, then everything said in this thread so far is exactly how it should be with ordering custom gear.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

The 'losses' aren't 85 to 90%. You still have the gear to sell. Maybe at a steep discount but a deposit of 50% should easily cover the lost profit and amount below cost you may have to sell the gear to get rid of it.

Actually, it is true in many situations.

This person has a rig using wales flag colours, loads of bright green, a 260 student canopy and a smart 250 reserve with the container being a oversized Icon I8 that dealers can not even order through software.

So with this order it is not as simple as having the gear still to sell.

So you ask for a deposit big enough to cover your potential loss if the buyer defaults. The wierder the order, the bigger the deposit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The 'losses' aren't 85 to 90%. You still have the gear to sell. Maybe at a steep discount but a deposit of 50% should easily cover the lost profit and amount below cost you may have to sell the gear to get rid of it.

Actually, it is true in many situations.

This person has a rig using wales flag colours, loads of bright green, a 260 student canopy and a smart 250 reserve with the container being a oversized Icon I8 that dealers can not even order through software.

So with this order it is not as simple as having the gear still to sell.

So you ask for a deposit big enough to cover your potential loss if the buyer defaults. The wierder the order, the bigger the deposit.

Yes, as I said, I fully agree and this is how any gear store should do things. However, this issue is that I gave someone a helping hand and ordered without that deposit thinking i could trust them, just as I would do for someone like you if you needed it.
I trusted the wrong person. Thats where i messed up but saying that, this person should have realised they were on to such a good thing that they should not have left me in this position. When you give someoe that much trust it hurts when they abuse it.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

When selling gear within the local area I never take a deposit.

When selling outside my local area it depends on who they are and who will vouch for them. I do take the time to call their local DZ or find out if there are people I know in that area that know them.

If I am not comfortable with the answers then I generally take about 30% of retail.

I have financed complete canopies, AAD's and rigs for people with monthly payments as well and touch wood have never been let down. It sucks but the bottom line its a business and we know there are assholes out there.

I am all for a public forum. You could put it in the SCAMS forum as that is exactly what it is.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Just a shot in the dark here - is there any indication, to your knowledge, that he might have sustained some sort of serious financial problem or life event, etc. that hadn't occurred/existed yet at the time he placed his order? (Not an excuse, of course, but it might shed some light...)

>you tell me I just now have to heavily discount it? . . . .There is no point
>in discounting it below dealer price.

Well, if you are happy hanging on to the rig, that's fine; you can do whatever you like with it. I think the other poster was suggesting that if you sell it at a discount, you can get some money for it instead of none (if that's important to you, of course.)

>you tell me I just now have to heavily discount it? . . . .There is no point
>in discounting it below dealer price.

Well, if you are happy hanging on to the rig, that's fine; you can do whatever you like with it. I think the other poster was suggesting that if you sell it at a discount, you can get some money for it instead of none (if that's important to you, of course.)

As i said, the mnaufacturers worked something out with me.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Just a shot in the dark here - is there any indication, to your knowledge, that he might have sustained some sort of serious financial problem or life event, etc. that hadn't occurred/existed yet at the time he placed his order? (Not an excuse, of course, but it might shed some light...)

I have counted 20 different promises to pay, only one ever saw any money. He went on a skydiving holiday in the south of france 2 weeks after our first deadline.

Who gives a shit if he had financial problems, It did not stop him going on holiday or making a new promise to pay each week.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

When selling gear within the local area I never take a deposit.

When selling outside my local area it depends on who they are and who will vouch for them. I do take the time to call their local DZ or find out if there are people I know in that area that know them.

If I am not comfortable with the answers then I generally take about 30% of retail.

I have financed complete canopies, AAD's and rigs for people with monthly payments as well and touch wood have never been let down. It sucks but the bottom line its a business and we know there are assholes out there.

I am all for a public forum. You could put it in the SCAMS forum as that is exactly what it is.

I do the same thing..... i just got stung though.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store