danwan

Quick Question for Psycho Pack Experts

Hi.

I would like to try psycho packing. After watching a couple of videos and reading the forum, I have some questions:

1. In one of the videos I saw that the guy is folding the stabilizers around the steering lines. That's at 1:02 in the video. He says that is to prevent steering lines moving around and causing a lineover.
Is that necessary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYb6R8CNqDQ&feature=related

2. In the second video they are rolling the nose cells. 4 to the righ and 4 to the left. and open the center cell a little bit so that the sliders fits into it nicely. Is that necessary as well?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qICN19uaRE&feature=related

4. In one picture I say that someone puts the bridle onto the packjob, in the middle of the packed canopy, and then put the container over it? I haven't seen that in one of the videos.
What's the reason for doing that?
http://www.precision.aero/packing/epack/ppext_24.jpg

Is there anything else where I should be careful when I pack my system the next time with this method? Something which is not directly visible in the videos or photos?
Turning the bag around at the end is clear.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

1 & 2 are pretty much up to you and what you want out of your openings. Personally, I do a standard pro pack until you would be ready to s fold the canopy to go in the bag. Then I turn the pack job over, roll it up and shove the bag over it. Kind of a pro pack with a psycho bagging technique.

The picture in question 4 shows a bridle extension specially made for psycho packing. This is not necessary but does make things easier. If you are not using one you just need to pull the Pilot Chute Atachment Point out from the center of your roll and allow some canopy material to serve as a bridal extension to get your bridal back to the proper location on the pack job before going into the bag. Think about where your bridle normally comes from on an S folded pack job vs coming from the end of the roll on a psycho pack.

After your canopy is bagged, be sure the pilot chute is still cocked. Especially if you are NOT using a bridle extension. If you cocked it before you bagged the canopy, and then it is not quiet cocked after you bag it, go ahead and step on the bag and recock the pilot chute. You should not be moving the kill line very much.

I find my psycho bagged openings to be on heading and a bit slower than if I s fold.

just my $0.02

Thanks Raftman,

question 3 got lost in my German head somehow. Apologize for confusing you.

Pack fast........
Pull high

Was that related to my Psycho Pack question? Or is that just your personal philosophy? I'm always open to learn something.

I always pull higher when i have new equipment or try something.

I don't hope that your comment was intended to say that Psycho Packing has a higher risk? If that was your intention, please explain that.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Dan

First of all, I am definitely not an expert at psycho packing, but I will tell you this. I bought an almost new pilot 168 and when I tried to pro pack it I could not control it at all. I struggled and struggled trying to get it in the bag and simply was making a mess of the pack job. Then I started reading and learning about the psycho pack method. I watched videos, read the forums here at DZ.com and finally I even called George Galloway who is one of the inventors of the psycho pack method. Well, to make a long story short I will never go back to pro packing. Psycho packing is MUCH easier to control while you are putting it in the bag. All my openings have been spot on so far just as George said they would. I do fold the stabilizers around the steering lines as it only makes sense that that will help eliminate a possibility of the lines migrating around in front of the nose and causing a line-over. If you try this pack job a couple of times you will LOVE it (in my opinion). It has made jumping fun again. But please understand, I never could seem to get the hang of pro packing like most other jumpers have, so I am not saying it is better, I'm just saying it is much easier for me.

First of all, I am definitely not an expert at psycho packing, but I will tell you this. I bought an almost new pilot 168 and when I tried to pro pack it I could not control it at all. I struggled and struggled trying to get it in the bag and simply was making a mess of the pack job. Then I started reading and learning about the psycho pack method. I watched videos, read the forums here at DZ.com and finally I even called George Galloway who is one of the inventors of the psycho pack method. Well, to make a long story short I will never go back to pro packing. Psycho packing is MUCH easier to control while you are putting it in the bag. All my openings have been spot on so far just as George said they would. I do fold the stabilizers around the steering lines as it only makes sense that that will help eliminate a possibility of the lines migrating around in front of the nose and causing a line-over. If you try this pack job a couple of times you will LOVE it (in my opinion). It has made jumping fun again. But please understand, I never could seem to get the hang of pro packing like most other jumpers have, so I am not saying it is better, I'm just saying it is much easier for me.

+1

Have Rig will travel ...

This weekend I did my first jumps with the psycho pack method.

And I'm still alive :-)

To be honest, I didn't felt a big difference with the opening of my sabre I.

But the faster and easier packing procedure is worth the change by far!

Dan

That's great Dan. Did you do the packing or did someone else do the packing for you? Were the stabilizers folded around the steering lines? Just curious to know. As time goes on I think you will really like this packing method more and more because of it being so much easier. But remember, don't worry about how fast you pack, only worry about how neat you pack. The speed will increase as time goes on.