Brigitte36

What kind of pet should I get?

I have moved here recently and I don't know anyone and it is soooo lonely. I have decided to get a pet. What kind do you suggest and why? Mind that I am a female living alone in Texas near border too. It's very hot though I would keep it indoors at night and on hot days. :)

Wabbit! If it doesn't work out you can make stew!
Actually, I guess you could make stew out of most of them.....:D

You'd eat your pet? :o Poor pet! :|

Well I did have to raise a hog in high school, take him to the county fair and have him auctioned off. A lot of people ate that particular pet!:S

I stopped checking options after dog.

No question, they are the most loyal and can be the most useful pet you've ever had. The unconditional love is nice, too.

ps - you can always get a big dog, get some help with training, and never again have to worry about some guy getting inside. Just a thought.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Dogs will help you meet people...if you take it on walks...especially in parks...I love petting other peoples dogs.

which bringsw me to point number 2....dogs keep you off non dog friendly DZ´s...and you cant just go to a boogie for days on end....etc

choose wisely because its not fair to a dog to leave it home alone all the time...I voted for fish

Don´t belive the hype

Most people usually have either a cat or dog... which would fit your personality better?

Cats - love to be petted, depending on their mood... can be kept indoors if preferred, as long as you clean their litter box daily.

Dogs - require twice daily walks outside to shit or pee, and if you forget, they do it on your living room floor or somewhere in the house. They do give you unconditional love if you treat them lovingly. Train them a little more and they can protect you from possible dangers such as burglars, or if you're in the south, they go nuts if the air pressure changes outside (impending bad storm or tornado).
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's easy. You're in Texas. You should get a cowboy.

Ooops, typo. I meant cow. You should get a cow. No, better yet, a bull. A bull would be way cool cuz then you could ride it.

Yeah, I know, you could ride a cowboy too, but having a bull would get you all the cowboys you'd ever need.

Anytime you need more excellent advice like the above, just let me know. I'm full of it. :ph34r:

I say dog also. If you do get one, look into the breed you're interested in. Most people don't and they end up with more than they bargained for. Chiuaua's for instance are ONE person dogs, and generally are very protective.

Yes, certain breeds make a huge difference in behavior and traits. Be sure to research the breeds to find one that fits your personality best. Chihuahuas drive me nuts though, that incessant yapping just makes me want to punt them out the window! :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I vote for the cowboy bull.

No seriously, without knowing who you are it is kinda hard to say what type of pet would fit your personality and lifestyle.

Personally, I prefer dogs and turtles. :)

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

Dogs are way too much damn maintenance, messy, and other than Cara, generally not that bright. All of the cats that I've had have been pretty self sufficient if I left them for a weekend (mixing bowl of kitty food and leave the faucet running). They also play fetch, meet you at the door.
It really depends on your lifestyle. If you're around a bunch, then think about the dog route. If you don't want to be tied to a four legged boyfriend, don't even think about a dog.
-----
~~~Michael

Cats. Two of them. Cats are really great. My 5 are all indoor only, and they all get along. They come for cuddles, but don't get offended if you have to leave for a few days - just clean litter, food, and water, and you're set. And if you have two, they'll play with each other and keep each other company when you're not around. It's a win-win!

Besides, my 7 month old SiameseSimon walking on his leash is an attention getter, so that's a plus, too. The cute factor works in his favor.

OTOH, Bytch had a good idea, too...get a cowboy. You can put him on a leash too. ;)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

One like mine!:)

OMG how adorable, I was actually looking into a cat or an Australian Cattleherder dog. Your dog is such a sweetheart!! Wow!!!!;)

I want a dog that is intelligent, big enough to protect me but not actually a large dog breed if I get one. I would bring the dog to DZ's though, and I haven't gone to one in awhile so he may be a regular at it once I find one nearby that I like. As long as he is friendly, okayed by my DZO and stays by my camper & out of the landing area the it should be fine, right?

(I just haven't had the best luck with any of the local cowboys so far...[:/])