lauras

Did this skydiver really owe beer?

During the Christmas Boogie, a skydiver stopped by Zhills to visit his grandparents who live in the area and show off his new favorite pasttime. He parked Grandpa in a deck chair and Grandma in her wheelchair just past the beer line, told them what canopy to look for and ran off to get on a load.

You know how it is when you've got a hundred jumps or so and your wuffo family and friends come to see the skyjumping. You just have to show them your mad skills, right? The skydiver decided to swoop the beerline, came in hot, and mowed over Grandpa and nearly knocked Grandma out of her wheelchair too.

While he was waiting for the ambulance to come (since his foot was pointing in the wrong direction), a local organizer, who shall remain nameless (ok, here's a hint - his name starts with O and ends with N) walked up to him and demanded beer money. After all, the guy did technically bust the beer line.

What say you?

The guy was a good sport - he pulled out the money right then and there!:D

The grandparents were fine. I'm sure they were less than thrilled to see their grandson's foot in an unnatural position, but no therapy will be needed! I take that back. Physical therapy will be needed.

As our Pip Redvers would say "Don't f*&k up at Zhills. We'll eat you." Don't worry, that rule applies to locals too!

Edit to add: before people start really freaking out about how cruel we are at Zhills, the guy wasn't writhing around in pain and was surprisingly good-natured about it. We actually do know how to take care of these things!

During the Christmas Boogie, a skydiver stopped by Zhills to visit his grandparents who live in the area and show off his new favorite pasttime. He parked Grandpa in a deck chair and Grandma in her wheelchair just past the beer line, told them what canopy to look for and ran off to get on a load.

You know how it is when you've got a hundred jumps or so and your wuffo family and friends come to see the skyjumping. You just have to show them your mad skills, right? The skydiver decided to swoop the beerline, came in hot, and mowed over Grandpa and nearly knocked Grandma out of her wheelchair too.

While he was waiting for the ambulance to come (since his foot was pointing in the wrong direction), a local organizer, who shall remain nameless (ok, here's a hint - his name starts with O and ends with N) walked up to him and demanded beer money. After all, the guy did technically bust the beer line.

What say you?

Absolutely. And the timing is good too. Kicking a guy while he's down reinforces the lesson, plus it's easier to collect the beer money before he uses it to pay the hospital bills. :D

The guy was a good sport - he pulled out the money right then and there!:D

Good on him! :)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was the one that collected the beer money and trust me it was appropriate. The guy was trying to show off for his grandparents busted the beer line and knocked his granpa flat on his ass. Other than the obvious broken ankle everyone was fine and in good spirits. I teased him accordingly while waiting for the abulance and made him leave his beer money so that we could enjoy a beer on him that night. He was a good sport and gave up the $$.

It was classic we all toasted his huge mistake while drinking his beer. trust me it was all in good fun and we laughed our asses off.

There were plenty of DZ.commers there to witness this fine act of beer rule enforcement!

You know the old saying...if you are gonna be stupid, you better be tough (and bring your beer money)

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I had a friend hook in a few years back and we got great video of him being worked on. One of the video people made him a nice tape of the skydive and everything up to the helicopter ride out.

Some people need to realized that at a big DZ we see a hell of a lot of people fuck up.

It was a violation of beer rules and I am also sure that Oren would not have asked if he thought it would be taken wrong....

Skydiving used to be full of dark humor. It is going away as the yuppies come into it. But the dark side will always be there.

I say good call!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A few years back, at the old Skydive Chicago, someone did something similar with his fiancee's parents and knocked his almost mother in law off the picnic table.
The woman was only shook up and bruised, the jumper wasn't injured and didn't seem to think he had done anything wrong. Someone else- we'll never know for sure who- thought differently and pulled his reserve handle so he wouldn't go back up and do it again. I hear his fiancee dumped him too!

I think this guy got off easy with a broken ankle and being "shaken down" for beer money! Hope he's learned his lesson!

now the important Q,did he pay or did the grandparents have to do that?:ph34r::D

Actually that is pretty funny cuz he had to get the money from his dad who was also standing there at the time.

Must have been the "stupid stick" that made him go over the beer line.

You had to see it. It was a thing of beauty. Grampa is laying on the ground flat on his back and the kid stopped just short of the packing tent.foot pointing behind him. Grampa was a good sport about the whole thing.

At first I freaked cuz I didn't know it was his grandpa and I though "oh god he just plowed through and old guy and we are gonna get sued".