skydivingwill

Can you freeze food after cooking

Here's one for you all. All the woman in my family say you can't freeze food after it's cooked. I'm single and get free cooked food all the time so do it anyways. Is it bad or is this an old wives tale? Will it cause cancer or something?

:S

"It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
-J. K. Rowling
willtofly.com Videos, Pictures & News

You can totally freeze most cooked food and eat it again. Bear in mind that the consistency of some foods change after they've been frozen and thawed. It's still edible, it might just taste or feel a little different. If you freeze something like pasta, add a little bit of water to if before you heat it back up in the microwave.

Tupperware and other brands make bowls that are sturdy enough to freeze AND microwave in. You should check into it, it can save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The only issue that I can think of is bacterial growth in the cooked food if it's been left out after cooking. But even so, freezing then thorough reheating should take care of any nasty bugs.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

The answer is YES you can freeze cooked food. I cook major batches of stuff and then freeze leftovers. Like skymama says some foods come out pretty nasty, just depends on what you're freezing. The ice crystals when formed in some foods completely break down the "stuff" (lack of a better word) that holds them together. So freezing potato salad turns it to mush when defrosted. I bought a tub from Sam's and froze half I couldn't eat the defrosted half. It was just nasty!

So it just depends on what you're freezing.. Potato salad doesn't freeze an defrost well. :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The only issue that I can think of is bacterial growth in the cooked food if it's been left out after cooking. But even so, freezing then thorough reheating should take care of any nasty bugs.

That's the only thing I could think of too. Nukeing the food though should reduce any bacteria.

I should add their logic was I should only refrigerate and not freeze. That seems worse and seemed even less logical. Of course I freeze so food last more then a few days and stays tastey.

-J. K. Rowling

You shouldn't freeze previously frozen, then thawed, uncooked food. You can freeze fresh or cooked food, though.

I always cook thaw food if I can't eat before freezing again. Recent Hurricanes in Florida left me with no power for a week. Is that necessary? I'd imagine the bacteria would get a second chance to build up during the second thawing process.

Thanks all, you gave this single guy some peace of mind.
;)

-J. K. Rowling