skygnat

New Rig for Novice

I am slightly over 50 years old and with slightly over 50 jumps. I estimate I may average from 80 to 100 jumps per year.

For now I would like my time spent under canopy to be smooth and uneventful. I would much rather err on the side of buying a very conservative rig that I outgrow sooner than planned, than something I am not quite ready for.

I am interested in purchasing a new rig with all the safety bells and whistles, and will probably buy one this fall for the next year.

I am 6 ft and 190 lbs.

I would appreciate some feedback on what some of the more experienced folks here would consider to be an ideal entry level package, especially if cost is not an issue.

will probably buy one this fall for the next year.

If that's the case, you have lots of time in which to jump a variety of different containers and mains. Which, coincidentally, is the best way to decide which container and main are the best choices for you.

People here can tell you what they like, and some of that information may be valuable, but remember - none of us are going to admit that what we jump isn't the best. For example, the Infinity container, PD reserve and PD Spectre main are the best out there... they must be, because I jump them!

So take what everyone here, on the dz and at the gear store says with a grain of salt. Your best plan of action would be to get to a dz with a variety of rental equipment, jump everything you're interested in and then decide for yourself which gear is going to work best for you.

The choices (and opinions) are endless. If you click on the "Gear" tab of this website, you'll get a side-by-side comparison. This has been helpful to me, because many actual users tell why they like or don't like a piece of equipment. BTW, I seem to give heavier weight to some of the "dislikes." As a starting point for anyone who has little experience, see what gear is popular where you jump, and then read some of the reviews.

Try and demo some different rigs and canopies to see what you like.

I am exactly your height and weight and am very conservative in the gear dept. I have almost 500 jumps and I jump a Vector3 with a "Skyhook", my main is a Sabre2 210 and a PD 193 reserve. I also have a Cypress in there. I have had this rig for the past 300 jumps and am very happy with it. No need to downsize, I can make it back easily on windy days. I have soft stand up landings even on no wind days. The only thing is I don't look "Cool" jumping a big canopy. :D I would be happy jumping a T-10 if it would get me to the DZ every jump. I used to jump a fully eliptical 170 for about 80 jumps stood them all up never had a problem but I like my 210 batter.B|

Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Vector III is the most advanced rig on the market right now because you can get it equiped with the Skyhook (see the Skyhook video on UPT Vector) and magnet riser covers for getting always the same clean deployment of the risers and canopy.
Performance Designs parachutes are certainly a good choice for their performance, quality and service.
For you I would choose a STORM 7 cells 190 (which is the improved version of the Spectre) or if you go for a 9 cells a Sabre II 190. To make it safe and convenient add a Vigil II AAD and now you have the best of everything.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.