funfall

Aerodyne zpx experience?

It just seems that the ZPX can't keep the same cell pressure as standard ZP.

If that were true, then the PD Pulse would suffer even more, and the performance would degrade even faster over time. We don't hear about that being a fact though.

I find it fascinating that the Pulse can achieve good results with the entire lower skin made of their thin, but not a zero porosity fabric. Apparently canopies can withstand a remarkable amount of overall porosity and still realize the benefits of an all zero p fabric canopy. Some base canopies have an even smaller % of the canopy made of zero p and claim benefit.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The normal skydiver is using 500lb HMA, and I've seen Pilots with them. I can't understand why Pilots are fitted with HMA when HMA is more expensive and doesn't yield any increase in performance compared to Spectra.

Aerodyne have a 700lb HMA option on their Pilot at no extra cost. I was considering this for my next pilot but is it really a bad choice? I know the performance improvement from less drag will be minimal but it will stay in trim for the life of the lines. No spectra shrinkage which does significantly affect performance.

From my research, the only downside I've found is HMA is less abrasion resistant (especially at the soft link and brake lines). It is also less UV resistant compared to Spectra.

I'm thinking HMA at the 700lb thickness is still good for 500 jumps even with all its downsides. Still conservative. Is there something else I don't know about HMA?

There are several more experienced riggers here that might comment more accurately then me, but I'll answer your question.

I believe that 700lb HMA will most likely last 500 jumps on a pilot. You'll extend the lifespan of the lines to their max potential by packing for smooth openings. The faster and harder the opening, the greater heat generation will occur on the slider grommets and they'll start wear out/melt the lowest part of your lines(1" over the softlinks), softlinks, and maybe even your risers.

But what I'm explaining to you now is what I've seen on canopies with HMA smaller then 135 and loaded more than 1,6. I haven't seen much of these damages on Pilots with HMA since they are still somewhat rare where I've been packing.

Spectra lines will shrink, but is also able to be streached almost back to it's original length. With nice openings(not hard or fast) the shrinkage will happen later, maybe after 500 jumps or so. The significant shrinkage will not be noticeable until at the end of the lifespan on the lines.

Take that into consideration and remember that you'll probably not do more then 300 jumps on that canopy before changing it to something else. (With HMA that will mean that the next skydiver will most likely have to replace the lines during the time he/she has it, or in order to sell it again). The info you have found regarding HMA is correct. I can't see anything else that you need to know.

So it's more like the next skydivers problem =P

I'd recommend you to go with spectra lines since we know how much they last. HMA may snap early or last for a longer time, but I guess that other Master riggers may give you a better feedback on what to choose. =)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

you're absolutely right!

Navigator, Shiluette, Electra have all been made from ZP top skin and F-111 bottom skin and ribs. That have proven to hold up very good. It doesn't suprise me that the Pulse is performing very well. As long as the top skin is airtight, then the canopy will performe well(of course, after time the F-111 will give less support and degrade the canopy's performance slightly).

But when pressure is lost out through the top skin, performance is lost.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I recently received my 140 Pilot made out of ZPX. It packed about 1/2 size down and I presently have it in a Micron 310. It just wouldn't go in my Mirage MT sized container even with ZPX. I'm primarily going to use the canopy for wing suit jumps. I put a wing suit jump on the canopy and it opened and flew great. To someone who said that the canopy doesn't hold air pressure like regular ZP I got news for you. The winds had picked up to 25 MPH when I landed and the canopy was about as hard to get the air out of as an air locked canopy. The canopy opened very good and it flew great. I don't know if Aerodyne recently changed the line trim or what cause my Pilot is better than the one I demoed. It was very responsive and also had a very good flying speed and descent range with the toggles. From where I opened after the dive I had no problem getting back on the wind line and back to the DZ. The canopy also flared very well probably because of the winds but a two stage flare technique should work well in light winds.
To sum up: ZPX openings and handling on the Pilot are pretty much the same as non ZPX. ZPX is easier to pack but is a little slippery. In a dry climate like Dallas it probably packs about 1/2 - i size down. It probably packs smaller in more humid climates. For what I'm using the canopy for (Wingsiuiting) and loading it about 1.2 - 1.3 its perfect.

I've had my ZPX pilot 210 for over a year now and love it. It's slippery when new just like a regular zp canopy. So far all seams, color fastness, and wear are great. It DOES pack smaller than regular ZP which is nice if you are on the more conservative side and want a bigger canopy without a huge rig. If your in washington state and want to check it let me know, I also have sample color swatches from aerodyne of the zpx fabric.
Take care.

I emailed Aerodyne a few weeks ago asking to demo a canopy. (Sensei 121). The response I got back was that they were re-building their entire Sensei demo fleet out of regular ZP b/c the "ZPX canopies were not performing as they thought they should" and that they would get in touch with me once they had the new demo fleet back up. I'm not sure if they are ceasing to use ZPX on Sensei canopies only, Smaller canopies only or if they are stopping production of all canopies made of ZPX until further notice.
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

On their website, it appears that only the Sensei is affected. Others don't seem to have changed, as far as I can see. (They're closed for the weekend, so can't confirm.)

BTW, my guess is that "not performing" meant not selling well (in that particular model).

I emailed Aerodyne a few weeks ago asking to demo a canopy. (Sensei 121). The response I got back was that they were re-building their entire Sensei demo fleet out of regular ZP b/c the "ZPX canopies were not performing as they thought they should" and that they would get in touch with me once they had the new demo fleet back up. I'm not sure if they are ceasing to use ZPX on Sensei canopies only, Smaller canopies only or if they are stopping production of all canopies made of ZPX until further notice.

ZPX option is not available only on Sensei canopies. The rest of our mains are available in both ZP and ZPX fabric.

ZPX option is not available only on Sensei canopies. The rest of our mains are available in both ZP and ZPX fabric.

Any word on why ZPX doesn't work on the Sensei? Does it have something to do with the canopy being cross-braced? I'm just curious. BTW, you guys make the best canopy on the market (the Pilot) IMO.:)
Muff #5048

I have a Pilot 168 and love the canopy. When I got it I had the option for ZPX and HMA lines but I opted to get ZP and Spectra. I'm not sure if anything's changed but when I bought the canopy I wasn't certain about the longevity of the ZPX as I think it's a thinner material. In hindsight I should have gotten Vectran lines as they don't go out of trim, if you want to go with HMA as they don't either but I've heard they can break suddenly unlike the other types. Not really concerns if you maintain your gear though.

For now I think the debate ZP vs ZPX is personal preference, until we see canopies with many jumps (1000+?)

I totally love it!! I've had a new Sabre 2 give me grief all the way into the bag, even packers wrestled with it. Then used a newish Pilot 188 then 168 zp.

Since packing was always my weak point I went with the extra cost and bought my Pilot 168 zpx. Got it in the bag first go!! It has a texture that I feel helps. I really, truly love the zpx and I love the pilot.. it has the handling and performance I was looking for, responsive yet forgiving. The colours kinda suck, but I ain't complaining.

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!
www.exoticbodypiercing.com.au

Yep, Just doesn't work as well on the cross braced Sensei, but no such problem in other canopies. My understanding is that some of the qualities that make it good in other ways (flexibility and/or slight elasticity) are detrimental in making crossbraces strong/stiff. Don't want to misquote anyone, so will leave it up to Aerodyne to answer detailed questions.

I'm about to see how well it holds ZP patches since my rigger doesn't have any ZPX fabric.

I think you'd be wise to wait and get the right fabric. The ZPX stretches differently than regular ZP, so that would put unusual stress/strain on the areas around the patches.

For the OP, my ZPX Pilot has been great for me, but only a couple hundred jumps on it so far.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Brandon350

I love my Pilot ZPX. 250 jumps on it now and it's still great! However, a hawk attacked me this weekend and ripped the shit out of it, so I'm about to see how well it holds ZP patches since my rigger doesn't have any ZPX fabric.

Wow! That must have been a big surprise! :o
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P