funfall

Aerodyne zpx experience?

Does anyone here have experience with the ZPX low bulk material available on Aerodyne canopies? I'm wondering if there are any differences (eg. openings, handling), other than packing ease and higher price. If not, I'm considering it for a tight fit in a new container (for easier packing, and to allow more downsizing). TIA.

I've been watching for new info, and searched, but have seen nothing.

I have handled it. Its really cool. You can poke a hole in it with a normal writing pen and then rub it together and the hole will disappear. The professional packers who have packed it says that it just jumps in the bag. And finally the person that has jumped it loves it. Thats all i got.

Thanks! Anyone else? I'm a little surprised that it hasn't caught on. Maybe dealers or someone from Aerodyne can tell us if it's selling.

I have about 6-8 ZPX material canopies on order at the moment. I am told they are just waiting for a delivery of ZPX, I am pretty certain I was amongst the first lot of ZPX orders they got so doubt many are on the dropzones yet.

90% of customers asking about a Pilot are also asking for ZPX.

One of my customers will also be getting a Samurai delivered in a few days. I also imagine this will be amongst the first out there.

I am sure we will be hearing all about them over the coming month.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Thanks! Anyone else? I'm a little surprised that it hasn't caught on. Maybe dealers or someone from Aerodyne can tell us if it's selling.

as bigway writes, it was just released and there were no stock canopies, so everything is a custom order. I got mine coming sometime in the hopefully not too distant future. At the time I ordered (mid April), they were just getting it better displayed on their web page.

The only knock I have at this point is the color selection is still much more limited - no good greens in particular. I presume this isn't a technical problem, just a matter of it being a new product line.

Hi free,

According to their ad in the latest PARACHUTIST, it looks they & Brian are in cahoots on the Sam.

I believe Aerodyne is now playing the role of manufacturer for Brian, just as PD had done in the past.

Correct.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Hi free,

According to their ad in the latest PARACHUTIST, it looks they & Brian are in cahoots on the Sam.

I believe Aerodyne is now playing the role of manufacturer for Brian, just as PD had done in the past.

Correct.

Is this true for Samurai and Lotus as well, not just the Sensei?
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

i was told no, aerodyne is making the sensei (without airlocks) and the lotus/samurai will be signature series only (made by brian his ownself).
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I spoke with the Aerodyne CEO at a boogie last week, and he pretty much confirmed what has been said here about ZPX. Orders are coming in, with delivery limited mostly by fabric supply. Some colors n/a yet. No reports of any difference in openings or handling of canopies.

Sounds like a good option, if you're buying a new canopy from them. I guess it will be a while before we can be sure if it's as durable as regular ZPX.

I have this canopy.
A 285-being paralyzed- I land on my butt each time and performance is critical for me on landings.

Having jumped Nvigator 260 as well as the Solo 270, I definitely can say that this canopy maintains amazingly good lift on landings.

Further more, riser turns are incredibly easy and very responsive. The Navigator 260 (which I prefer over the Solo270), was very difficult on riser turns... while the ZP is not a workout.

I have not been able to stall this canopy on toggles-thus I would say it's perhaps a great canopy for student gear in the larger sizes.

One thing I disagree with their website info -which states that it's easy to pack.
its NOT easy to pack-a true work out. ;)

The openings are consistent, regardless of how many line twists I induced-she flew straight on heading and untwists herself while I sit around and watch B|.
Being unable to kick my way out of line twists-I always had to untwist the other two canopies myself by the risers-but my ZP knows what to do-and goes on 'autopilot' taking care of her twists.

I cant comment on the smaller sizes-we do have a swooper at out DZ who has the parachute systems VortexII container and Decelerator reserve-and as a guy whose fairly experienced-he says he also loves the VortexII container as well as the Decelerator.

My gear is completely Parachute Systems-VortexII, and Decelerator 250 reserve. (no reserve rides on it-yet )

The feedback I hear is that the Decelerator opens very quickly letting you know she's ready to go to work-that is exactly what I want-in a situation like that- fast opening to let me know all is well.

Interestingly, the Vortex container I have is long and narrow- thus with the 285 packs tighter then the navigator 260 or the solo 270 I've flown.

Despite the large size of my canopies-I have a smaller container (and yes a tighter fit-adding to the packing difficulty for me-as a paraplegic I really have to muscle it in there-lately I've been getting our pro packer to pack it-because I flat pack and we just don't have the space to have me flat packing for 40 minimum....
yet on the positive side-the container is easier for me to gear up then anything else I've jumped.

I hope some of that was somewhat useful.

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

hey I HAVE TO correct myself here.

I MISTOOK this material for parachute systems ZP.EXE canopy-which is what I have-so therefore ALL my comments in this thread actually useless....

sorry for the misunderstanding.
and if someone wanted to know about Parachute Systems ZP.EXE canopies-well then that's what is what I'm talking about.

-gimp
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

I have almost 100 jumps on my Mamba 96 ZPX. The fabric itself looks great. I can tell more wear by looking at the lines rather than canopy fabric itself. It is still the same slick and thin feel as with a brand new one, same ease in packing. We will see how other ZPX canopies out there are doing. There are few of them with far more skydives on them than on mine.

Whats the most amount of jumps you've put on canopy made from this material? How did it look?

Thanks,
Ian

Sorry for my late arrival to the thread. I have one of the original ZPX Pilot 96's out there. I've been flying it for almost a year now, so I am guessing that I have about the longest amount of time on this canopy...maybe 2nd longest now that I think of it. It was one of the test platforms out there.

I would guess I have somewhere around 400+ jumps on the canopy by now. I have jumped it in many climates and many elevations. I was very blessed to have an identical Pilot 96 (standard ZP) right before it, so I had a great frame of mind for comparison! Both of them were/are flying the steeper line trim.

First I will say that I love my pilot - love love love. So on to the questions....

1. Wear - I've been regurly keeping my eyes on this, to give continual feedback to Bill at Aerodyne. Much like Les said, it looks and feels just like the day I got it. It looks like someone attached old lines to my new canopy :P

2. Fabric feel - Like most Aerodyne canopies, I find that fresh out of the bag they are far easier to pack than other brands ZP coating. The fabric has maintained that same feeling over its lifespan thus far. Colors seem bright and new as well.

3. Pack Volume - Noticeably smaller right away. On those days when it feels like your canopy packs smaller from the humidity, you will REALLY notice a difference!

4. Flight Characteristics - I notice no change to the flight characteristics. Openings remain predictable and consistent. Canopy feels solid. Smaller/lighter/thinner fabric feels the same....which is great!

5. Pen holes - Seriously people.....stop coming up to me asking if you can poke a hole in my canopy!!!!! :D:D:D

To sum it up, I think that it is a fantastic fabric. The strength of the honey-comb pattern ALONE is reason enough to buy this option. Lower pack volume is also welcomed!

I can be found in New England this summer. Anyone is welcome to come up and see me. PM me, and I will happily try to meet up with you, and you can see for yourself. I would love to help answer your questions! If you are interested (and qualified - it is a 96 after all ;)), you are welcome to test jump it as well!