kaustik

Who is allowed to make a cutaway handle?

The topic says it all.

I bought a cutaway handle at a dropzone(which I wont name just yet) that had some of the worst stitching I've ever seen on skydiving gear. I'm an industrial tailor for the Department of Defense and know i can fabricate a much better product, which I fully intend to do. Is this legal? Do I need a rigger's supervision? What are the legalities here?

If it's not legal for me to make my own handles for my own personal use, how do I know that it was legal for joe crapstitcher to make my handle that I bought at a dropzone gearshop?

Thanks for the advice.
The future belongs to those of us still willing to get our hands dirty.

The topic says it all.

I bought a cutaway handle at a dropzone(which I wont name just yet) that had some of the worst stitching I've ever seen on skydiving gear. I'm an industrial tailor for the Department of Defense and know i can fabricate a much better product, which I fully intend to do. Is this legal? Do I need a rigger's supervision? What are the legalities here?

In the US anyone and everyone can fabricate a C/H as there is no requirement for TSO standard in 8015 b regarding this item. Small hole in the system ? true, but t's there. just know what youre doing when ou try to fabricate one, it could save your (or someoone elses). Know what you're doing before you start. good luck.

Mick.
If it's not legal for me to make my own handles for my own personal use, how do I know that it was legal for joe crapstitcher to make my handle that I bought at a dropzone gearshop?

Thanks for the advice.

You may do it.

With your background the sewing part ought to be straightforward. However, the lolon cables are carefully dimensioned. They are intended to release asymetricly... NON-RSL side first, followed by the RSL side.

Be damned sure that the swaged end of the lolon cables is very securely attached in the handle. Imagine pulling with all your strength against a "hard pull" on the cutaway... you sure don't want the fabric handle to come off the cables!

Good Luck. Post a picture of your handiwork when you are done.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I don't think it's a tso question but back durring the Appleton fatality one thing that was made a big deal out of was the fact that he had swapped out his javelin handle for a RWS fatty. Much was made of the lengths of the the cables and even just the fact that it was not a sun path part. It's another of those things that no one used to make a big deal about.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Hi a63jmt300,

I believe only a Master Rigger can alter things like this, I would make it and have one sign it off.

This reply is not to be going all negative on you; but why bother since it is not a certificated part?

As Mick says ( with the later TSO's ) it is somewhat of a gray area.

Now this is all very easy for me to say since I have my ratings.

Just my thoughts,

JerryBaumchen

PS) There is more than one person in this country who own the dies to make ripcords; and many ( most? ) of them do not hold a TSO-authorization to make a ripcord. But nobody seems to care . . . .