KermieCorleone

Non-Skydiving specific helmets ...

I was going to purchase the Sky Systems Benny helmet, because I liked the fact it is impact rated and the price is affordable. But then it dawned on me that there might as well be some better looking (cheaper :ph34r:) alternatives.

Ergo folks, wot do some of you guys use in terms of non-Skydiving specific helmets? wot are the alternatives already in use by skydivers?

cheers
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

The most widely used helmets in skydiving that were not specifically designed for skydiving are the Gath and the Protec. The Gath was originally designed for surfing. The Protec I believe was designed as a general purpose sports helmet and is about as cheap a helmet as you will find.

A couple of years ago while I was overseas and without a helmet, I did some jumps with a snowboarding helmet that I borrowed from a whuffo friend.

If you are going to go out on a limb and buy something not widely used, I'd be looking for a snug, secure fit and no snag points. You may be able to address potential snag points with duct tape or other workarounds. I'd avoid things like bike helmets as they tend to be too light and loose for my liking and often have things like visors on them that are goign to be more trouble than they're worth. On the other hand, if you buy something already widely used in the sport, then you have less to worry about and most skydiving helmets will also have features such as pockets for audible altimeters and camera accessories that may be available. If cheap is ahat you're looking for, buy a protec. You shoudl also find good quality used helmets for a reasonable price in the classifieds.

Bell motorcyle helmet, hockey helmet, no helmet..... oh, I was channeling the 70's and 80's:P

Buy a Protec. Cheap, better protection than any of the skydiving helmets.

I've been looking for a better helmet for 10 years and haven't found one.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I was going to purchase the Sky Systems Benny helmet, because I liked the fact it is impact rated and the price is affordable. But then it dawned on me that there might as well be some better looking (cheaper :ph34r:) alternatives.

Ergo folks, wot do some of you guys use in terms of non-Skydiving specific helmets? wot are the alternatives already in use by skydivers?

cheers

The Benny is a great helmet and is very good for skydving. It's also VERY cheap relative to most "skydiving" helmets. If you are looking for affordable it's about as good as it gets. We're replacing all of our old Protecs with Benny's at our school.

Be careful of "non-skydving" helmets. Many have snag points that make them unacceptable for skydiving. Some are fine but others are not.

If you are looking for an inexpensive skydving helmet the Benny is about as good as it gets.

But what you REALLY want to do is laydown the money for a kewl new Z-1! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Bell motorcyle helmet, hockey helmet, no helmet..... oh, I was channeling the 70's and 80's:P

Buy a Protec. Cheap, better protection than any of the skydiving helmets.

I've been looking for a better helmet for 10 years and haven't found one.

Agreed!
Although Protecs look a bit pants, they do afford more protection than any of the 'cool' carbon fibre or other specific skydiving helmets....