Yoshi

Flying a helicopter

Sounds like a great time, Yoshi! I earned my ASEL this past November and hope to get done with my Insruments this year. I've been contemplating applying to all the local ANG squadrons around here.

The helo is something I'd love to do someday. I've been up a couple times in one, but have never manipulated the controls.

Stay safe!
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

I didn't get to do my Xcountry today due to low clouds, and big hidden towers;)

We asked for a Special VFR, but we were DENIED.

So we spent most of the time in a pattern at a controlled Airport.

The hardest part of flying them seems to be the transition from flight to hover....I felt like I really sucked today.

On one landing I was not fast enough on the left peddle when I added power to "Flair?"...So I was sitting 2 feet above the runway at a fairly large airport 90 degrees to the runway heading.....

My instructor laughed and said, "Gotta be quick on those peddle's huh?". I told him I was just trying to show him the building over there by the side of the runway;)

Oh well, I suck at it but its still fun.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just remember that its like freefall, if one hand does something, the other does the opposite.Aft cyclic is done at the same time as lowering the collective and vice-versa,in the transition.like tearing a sheet of paper,the feet,well that comes in time.Dont worry i have over 7500 hours in helos and i constantly find new ways to humble myself.And yes that is me flying,you would have to be crazy to sit on the outside of a helicopter,inside a 500,000 volt live powerline and spray water on it wouldnt you?

cool... I definately relate the heli much more to skydiving since you go any direction and you have to constantly fly (no trimming it out and sitting there..)

I still think its crazy to be in the heli while some nut is spraying water on a 500,000 volt live powerline... :S

-y